Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trapping possum

Default Trapping possum

Hay I am trying to trap my first possum and I am having some difficulties when I go out to check it the bait is gone and the trap has been set off but no possum. I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions on what type of snare or trap to use. I am currently using a homemade wooden cage attached to thin rope which is slung over a tree. The rope is then attached to a small stick that is run through the back then put horizontally across to other sticks that are pushed into the ground to form a H shape.

Thanks Alec

Quote Originally Posted by Alec_end View Post
    Hay I am trying to trap my first possum and I am having some difficulties when I go out to check it the bait is gone and the trap has been set off but no possum. I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions on what type of snare or trap to use. I am currently using a homemade wooden cage attached to thin rope which is slung over a tree. The rope is then attached to a small stick that is run through the back then put horizontally across to other sticks that are pushed into the ground to form a H shape.

Thanks Alec
    Got a picture of your setup?

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

In my experience, the best way to catch a possum is to set a box trap for a rabbit. It never failed (hardly ever, anyway) that when I set a trap for a rabbit, baited with apple, that I caught a stinking possum!
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Not sure what kinda setup you are using but one thing for sure . Opossum downunder must be alot smarter then the north American varity. Over 50 plus years of trapping I have never set a trap for opossum but have caught 100's of them in sets for other critters. If possible take a pic and let us see your setup. Might help.

oldtrap

Yer here are some pictures of my set up sorry about the bad quality i took them before school. All advice is mutch appreciated.

Thanks alec
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks as though your trap may either be too light, or the spacing between some of the boards may be too wide. Maybe both.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I agree with Crash. From what I can see I would say the trap box is to light and whatever your catching in it is pushing out from under it. Check to see if there is some fur hung up on the bottom edge of the box. If that's how the critter is getting out there should be a bit of fur left behind. Might tell you if that's how the critter is beating your trap. If so figure a way to make the box heavier.

oldtrap

Just curious, but what are you going to do with it when you catch it? Getting a possum out from the trap might be a little tough. They have some pretty sharp teeth and claws. They are dumb but they will arm wrestle with you if you give them half a chance.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool What?!

You trap them? Why? Shoot, they like to hang around my place & I've run them down on foot! Then they like to roll over & play dead. It would be possible to pick one up if you didn't mind losing a finger or a hand. Now Raccoons are a different story. How much is Possum going for "down under" anyway, mate?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You have a big hole in your trap! He's climbing out the hole!

Any openings in the trap must be much smaller than the critter you are trying to catch.

No wonder there are no Australian mountain men.

All my caught possoms have been raiding the feed barrel. I would have to kill them before I could feed the chickens.

Get an empty barrel, garbage can, whatever, Throw some ripe garbage in the bottom. Place a board as a ramp up the side with a bait trail to the edge. You will have your possom looking up at you hissing and swearing the next AM.

It will work, possoms dont go to college, they are not real bright. It is a miricle they have lasted these millions of years. They can't even cross a road.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default True

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You have a big hole in your trap! He's climbing out the hole!

Any openings in the trap must be much smaller than the critter you are trying to catch.

No wonder there are no Australian mountain men.

All my caught possoms have been raiding the feed barrel. I would have to kill them before I could feed the chickens.

Get an empty barrel, garbage can, whatever, Throw some ripe garbage in the bottom. Place a board as a ramp up the side with a bait trail to the edge. You will have your possom looking up at you hissing and swearing the next AM.

It will work, possoms dont go to college, they are not real bright. It is a miricle they have lasted these millions of years. They can't even cross a road.
    They are learning to cross the roads, saw a chicken teaching a class on road crossing.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    They are learning to cross the roads, saw a chicken teaching a class on road crossing.
    Do you remember when the chickens roamed free and clogged the country roads? Kids don't know what they are missing without the "count the dead chicken" game to pass the travel time.

I live out in the sticks, well off the main road, and there is not a chicken in sight. Times have changed.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Do you remember when the chickens roamed free and clogged the country roads? Kids don't know what they are missing without the "count the dead chicken" game to pass the travel time.

I live out in the sticks, well off the main road, and there is not a chicken in sight. Times have changed.
    You should come to Florida and go to the beach. There are always a lot of chic....... oh wait - you said chickens. Never mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I fixed the hole in the back of the cage and attached three bricks to the top of the cage to increase the weight. I will be setting it tonight. Thanks for all the great advice any other tips or ideas would be great.

When I finally catch the possum I am planning to kill it and skin it as practise for when I go up to my Nan’s farm and try and catch some of the rabbits that have been eating the food form her Veggie garden. Does anyone have any experience skinning possum because that would be very much appreciated?

Thanks alec
    Last edited by Alec_end; 08-11-2010 at 10:41 PM.

You may as well make a meal or two out of it. http://ushotstuff.com/wg/OpossumSmp.htm The link includes skinning.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Well, rabbit is a lot easier to skin than possum; & it tastes a lot better, or so i hear. (never ate possum.) Do you have any rabbits in your area?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the great link Crash it was really informative and I think that it will be a great help. I don’t have any rabbits near my house but my Nan’s farm is only 45min away and we go up there very frequently. She also has foxes and wallabies but I want to get a lot more experience before I try to trap or hunt them. I m very interested in learning how to skin and tan hides.

Thanks alec

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Skinning of large game. same applies to small game, but can be done without hanging. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=9162

tanning with the hair on. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ad.php?t=11062

If you need assistance with either one, let me know.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I know I'm a bit late with this reply, but it still might be useful to someone, somewhere.

Aren't possums protected in Australia? This isn't a judgement, I just thought they were.

Anyway, we've got lots of Aussie brushtailed possums down here in New Zealand. I've snared quite a few of them, and I've enjoyed eating some of the better ones.

Best wishes from Nelson, New Zealand. Stephen Coote.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-17-2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Removed Link

Sorry, coote. You can't post a link to your web site. You can put the link in the signature section but not in the body of a post. Thanks for understanding.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.