Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunters

Default Hunters

So does anyone on the forum go hunting? If so what do you hunt for? My husband goes out deer hunting. Don't think I could get into this part of his hunting but he really seems to enjoy it. And it does help out food wise.

I've gone out a time or two with my husband while he was hunting deer. He took a gun, I took a camera. That's the only kind of hunting I want to do. He generally doesn't have much luck with deer, but I think he really just goes to be outside in nature.

I have went out with my husband and find it extremely boring myself. I took my book the last time I went with him. Needless to say I don't go a whole lot with him.

I hunt, when I have time. I generally go for small game because I know how to process them completely all by myself. However, I've been considering going for deer or maybe turkey this fall.

My husband learned how to butcher and package all his own deer that he gets. Saves alot of money when you can do it yourself. He also learned how to make deer jerkey this year. It was actually really good.

Does he do anything with the skin? I have always wondered how to tan/cure a skin of that size. I'm thinking of taking a class in July that shows how to do a totally natural brain curing process.

I would if I needed to, but I don't. I also don't like venison which puts deer hunting out of the question.

One thing I would like to do is eventually get a little bit of livestock so I wouldn't be limited by hunting seasons anyway.

My husband has gotten a few skins from my brother-in-law so he can learn how to do tanning. The skins had really big holes in them. So, at least if doesn't do such a good job on these, it won't be that much of a loss. He really wants to be able to get a big enough skin to be able to make a drum. We'll see.

I grew up hunting with my father, and I still hunt both deer and birds. I never got into the processing of deer because it was too easy to take it in and have it packaged, but as a kid I had to learn how to field dress one and I still do that part. Birds are pretty easy after that LOL.

I have preferred to watch the wild life from close and for long time and that is the reson I haven't gone out for hunting.

Talking

Hello everyone! I love hunting! I started at an early age. My dad said that even if i am a girl i had to learn how to handle a gun and how to take care of myself if i ever got stuck in the bush. (already happend! lol boy i have some stories!!) Anyway, i love to hunt partridge, moose, bear. Doesn't matter, as long as you can eat it, i am there! lol

Tanning is pretty easy by many methods.

This link is probably the best I have seen for tanning... http://www.manataka.org/page27.html

While the site may sound a little preachy at first...I actually grew up just outside an Indian Rez, and I was taught these same values by my friends and family...including learning to use every part of an animal that you can!

We've never tanned skins but usually give them to people who do. One of the lessons I was taught as a child was to not hunt unless you were going to use the meat for food, and I still adhere to that. I've sat plenty of nights preparing pheasants for the freezer!

Thanks for the link, Dusty Rose. I'll make sure my husband reads and understands before he goes headlong into it. LOL

I'm not worried about the "preachy" stuff. We've recently found out we're part Cherokee, so we're really trying to learn the ancient ways anyhow. This will be a good place to start, I think.

We have never tanned the skins either. Thanks for the link I will have to show it to my husband. He would be interested in knowing how to do something like this.

Deer and small game hunter. Turtle trapper. Fisherwoman. Crawdad catcher. If we had oysters around here, I would be an oyster diver, too.

Told a good recipe for wild turkey breast which can be kind of dry in texture and taste at times. In a wok or skillet, melt some butter and add fresh minced garlic bits (enough for your taste buds to be happy.) When the butter has melted, stir the garlic bits to brown them. Add cubed wild turkey breast and cook till done. Stir often. Add a little water as needed to keep it from sticking to the pan and keep the cubed meat moist. Serve over steaming hot rice. Add favorite spices and seasonings, too. I would use a little sea salt which tastes incredibly better than regular table salt. You can add a quarter cup of water to the drippings when you are done cooking, a tablespoon of rouge (browned flour) as a thickener, your favorite spices or seasonings, and make a dandy gravy to pour over the fine meal waiting for you. I mix my flour and water thoroughly before adding it to the hot pan so it will simmer and thicken. Blends better and makes for a smoother gravy. All of this can be done over a campfire, too.

Somebody needs to start a simple, but tasty recipe thread. Something we can cook over a campfire or in an earth oven.
    Last edited by Bowcatz; 03-05-2007 at 12:17 PM.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

I do something similar but rather than rice, I throw in a bag of fresh spinach and wilt it down. It's great with the turkey!

I love spinach raw and cooked with eggs, but with the recent salmonella scare, I'm going to have to wait and grow my own this year. I wonder if I could grow it in the wild or would the deer eat it like they do turnips?
    With Christ, all things are possible.

I was raised in a family that hunts.... every male in my family hunts small game and most of us hunt deer... I am the only one that also hunts turkey and mushrooms and wild plants (Ginsing and Bloodroot) for some extra cash.
    The object of war is not to die for your country... but to make the other poor basterd die for his.
    General George S Patton

i have never but i always want to try it