Thread: making a "chuck" for your drill

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default making a "chuck" for your drill

It's an easy way to make pliers or simple clamps. This is the drill I use. I'm gonna try to explain it, but the concept is so simple, everyone probably already knows it.. here goes.
    the drill itself. Top end goes in a socket rock under my chin and I spin it with my hands.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Now the chuck works by simply tightening the cordage around the split end. Using a small torque stick and some sinew cordage, you can really tighten it up.

... And another piece of string to keep the torque stick from untwisting.

Simple, right? Good! We like simple and this is just a simple technique that can be adapted to all sorts of things. I took the drill apart and split the small end to use like needle-nose pliers to hold a #6 fish hook while I crudely tied hair on it.

The benefit of this "chuck" system is that your drill-bit is not glued into the stick and wrapped like crazy.. you can take it out, sharpen it, pop it back in, swap bits, really convenient.
    Drawback is that the weight of the torque-stick throws off the spin and it gets in the way if you are drilling deep holes.

Anyhow, it's a little bit of "caveman technology" that can help you out in a pinch. Sometimes it's the simple stuff we don't think about.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

That's interesting......cool idea.
    I guess I have to ask, what does a Cave Man use for a "tool box"?

You seem to be building a lot tools,.... finding, using,.... more and more primitive substitutes for modern tools. (That actually sounds backwards).
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

It is backwards thinking That's whats funny about unlearning our modern ways and our dependence on "the grid". I don't want to be caught without some degree of ingenuity in place, should "the grid" fail us.

My toolbox is basically a skin, rolled, folded and tied with natural cordage... kinda like one of those crescent wrench organizers, but without pockets. Long enough cordage will allow you to tie both ends and have a shoulder strap to carry it like a quiver.
    I'll snap a pic or two, but it's nothing fancy at all. Just skin and string.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

Looking at the pics you posted it dawn on me that you could make a small wedge to tighten the tip of the chuck. Just leave the sinew tight and slide the wedge up or down to tighten or loosen.

Thanks for sharing

So....if you get it spinning really fast and it suddenly jams under your chin do you spin yourself around and around? I've seen what can happen when a bit jams and the drill takes off.....

Just kiddin'. Great job. That would also let you quickly change different sized "bits" to meet the needs of the job. Cool idea.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    So....if you get it spinning really fast and it suddenly jams under your chin do you spin yourself around and around? I've seen what can happen when a bit jams and the drill takes off.....
    It would be a Primitive Skills Sit & Spin! lmao

Now that's funny I don't care who you are. God bless them little pygmy sit and spinners down there in New Guinea.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I'm sure I'll have an accident with it sooner or later.. stay tuned for more bloody pics of a very dizzy ycc

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Cool idea. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel