Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1395

Thread: Knife/Survival Knife Info.

i am 13 so i dont want a big knife that i cant controll i just want one to carry with me when i go build shelters behind my house and just survival and i have very little experiance

O.K. I don't mean this to be insulting but...

At 13 y.o. and with "very little experience," I'm not sure a fixed-blade knife is a good choice. The Boy Scouts of America limits knives carried by their young men (ranging in ages from 11 to 18) to folding knives and I think there is a fair amount of good logic behind their rule. I know that my oldest (12 y.o. in June) isn't allowed to have a fixed-blade knife unless I'm right there with him, but he does have and carries most places his own pocketknife (as does my 9 y.o.).

A good Swiss Army Knife would have all the tools you need for "building shelters and just survival," can be easily had in lock-back configurations if so desired, and would, in general (and of course IMO), be a wiser choice for someone as young as you.
    Last edited by lucznik; 04-21-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by survivalpro#4 View Post
    i am 13 so i dont want a big knife that i cant controll i just want one to carry with me when i go build shelters behind my house and just survival and i have very little experiance
    Then you should perhaps ask your parents what knife they might let you have.

Blog Entries

Cool Here I go, somebody hold me back!

If you're 13 join the Boy Scouts & get advice from them! Your screen name says "survivalpro #4" (what happened to the 1st 3 'survialpros?) This implies that you already know the answer to that question. most retailers in my state will not sell a knife to anybody under 18, so you might have to have a parent order it for you. However, & this is the only advice you're going to get from me on this subject, check out the Survival Mora 2000 on The "Safe Zone" thread I posted. It's about 30 bucks. If that's to much check out the cheaper ones, they're all great starter knives that won't break the bank!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

the first three were before me and my parents are fine with it i asked them

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

the first three were before me and my parents are fine with it i asked them
    Then they'll need to order for you; again, I strongly suggest "Safe Zone" as Rick takes good care of the membership when they order from him! Psssst! (whispering) he's also a Scoutmaster, so keep the prior BSA history on the QT!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

im not going to get the knife right now i was just wondering what were good brands to get i dont need any more knives

Thanks for answering the questions I asked SP#4. I think the suggestion of a small folder like the Swiss Army Knife is a good one. Depending on which one you get there are many other useful tools on it that will do everything you have indicated that you want to do. What every you do - do it with your parents. That is really important. Scouting is a good program for many young men. Talk to your parents about that too. Obviously things like this are going to require the involvement of your parents. Remember - it's really important.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i know my dad is strict about that and i under stand it and i already have a sak

Start with a SAK and go from there. Every boy should have a SAK while they are growing up. SAKs can be used outdoors or for EDC.

I still have all 3 that were given to me while growing up.

I would pick the RAT-5 in 1095 steel. It might be a challenge finding it under $80 but it is a good knife...for something made in a factory.

Blog Entries

Cool I disagree...

...with Camp 10. This is the kind of stuff that I was afraid would happen. a 13 year old should NEVER carry a large fixed-blade. You're SAK is perfect for now. Later on you could check into a Mora, preferably the Survival 2000, but you can also get a good one for half of what they cost. A RAT-5 is no knife for a 13 year-old to be playing around with!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    ...with Camp 10. This is the kind of stuff that I was afraid would happen. a 13 year old should NEVER carry a large fixed-blade. You're SAK is perfect for now. Later on you could check into a Mora, preferably the Survival 2000, but you can also get a good one for half of what they cost. A RAT-5 is no knife for a 13 year-old to be playing around with!
    +1 to that. I had my SAK from the time I was 5 - 14 and then my grandfather gave me an old pilot survival knife. He told me since I was able to keep my SAK in good repair I could have it. Then about 2yrs. later my godfather gave me the KA-BAR he used while he was a marine.

survivalpro start out with something you know you will use and become acquainted with. Then down the road find something with a little more heft if you wish, but I would advise to still keep your SAK around or at least a good pocket knife. While I love my RC-4, most chores I can accomplish with a small folder or fixed blade.

I suggest we make this and a few other topics a sticky. It's not that the topic gets done to death, it is a primary topic of concern for guys like this who are just starting out. While I understand the frustration it can be avoided by having a distillation of the best info collected in one location that we can point people to, sort of a FAQ section.

Everybody started out somewhere and I know I bought a lot of knives and have seen my students buy all sorts of crap before they learn what to look for.

In answer to the OP. If you really are wanting to get into a fixed blade knife for wilderness survival and bushcraft then I suggest you start with a Mora and learn how to sharpen. It will do you no good to buy an expensive blade if you don't know how to get it back to a razor edge. As your ability to sharpen increases then you may want to invest in a better knife with better steel etc. Unless you can sharpen well you won't know the difference between 1095, A2, D2, O1 etc, you will just sharpen your expensive knife poorly.

I have been involved with wilderness survival and bushcraft for the past 30 years and when I run my survival course here in Brazil we use the $10 Mora and the $6 Tramontina machete. That is where I start new students. Once they learn serious knife skills they can go on to purchase more expensive knives. I also have other more expensive knives including a $200 Skookum bushtool, it is a fantastic knife. You will get 80% of that fantastic knife function with a $10 Mora.

Start with a carbon steel Mora and buy sharpening stones with it. You are learning to use a system not just a knife. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    A Mora has a 4 1/2" blade and the RAT-5 has a 5". I cant see how a kid can "play" with one but not the other. The RAT will keep its edge far longer (a dull knife is more dangerous...right?)

He said his parents were okay with him owning a fixed blade knife. I offered no advice until he posted that. I have never seen a SAK with a fixed blade so I dont know how that might help him in his hunt for a fixed blade. Plus, he had posted this prior to my answer:

Quote:survivalpro#4 im not going to get the knife right now i was just wondering what were good brands to get i dont need any more knives

Tell me how I steered him wrong.
    Last edited by Camp10; 04-22-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    A Mora has a 4 1/2" blade and the RAT-5 has a 5". I cant see how a kid can "play" with one but not the other. The RAT will keep its edge far longer (a dull knife is more dangerous...right?)

He said his parents were okay with him owning a fixed blade knife. I offered no advice until he posted that. I have never seen a SAK with a fixed blade so I dont know how that might help him in his hunt for a fixed blade. Plus, he had posted this prior to my answer:

Quote:survivalpro#4 im not going to get the knife right now i was just wondering what were good brands to get i dont need any more knives

Tell me how I steered him wrong.
    1st of all the kid's 13, we don't know for sure if his dad IS okay with it. 2nd the knife will be at least pretty close to 90 bucks with S & H; & the young man said LOW price, remember? (I wouldn't pay that much for a knife & I'm a lot older, BTW) If the kid loses it he's out a lot of cash. 3rd, the handle of the RAT 5 will fit a man's hand a lot better than that of a child (yes, that's what he is.) & is probably heavier than a Mora. I'm thinking something light-weight that won't break the bank...IF, & only IF the kid is really looking into getting a fixed blade with parental approval as they're the ones who are going to have to order it. Even then I'm hesitant because of liability issues. Remember the give-away back-pack that was originally offered to any new member UNDER 18; then changed to over 18? That was one of the reasons why the giver decided to change the age limit. In dealing with minors you need to be very careful these days.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

If your parents are OK with it and perhaps do a little adult supervision after you get it, I would recommend a RAT RC-5/SERE. It will take a heck of a batonig to damage the blade. So just save up your pennies ubtil you can afford one.
    I know what hunts you.

Blog Entries

Cool I disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    If your parents are OK with it and perhaps do a little adult supervision after you get it, I would recommend a RAT RC-5/SERE. It will take a heck of a batonig to damage the blade. So just save up your pennies ubtil you can afford one.
    Stay away from batoning altogether! It can get you injured really bad! If you're going to chop anything use the right tool for the job. I carry a small, lightweight "Backpacker's" hand axe made by Buck. Get back into Scouts & learn the right way, even if you have to find a different troop! I do agree with Sarky on saving your pennies, by then you should be a lot older.

And if you need other Brand names there's Gerber, Buck, Kershaw, Cold Steel, Ka-bar, Becker, yada, yada, yada.....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

well in the 54 pages of replies, Im sure Im just repeating whats been said, but Im stuck at home with a cast on and bored...so Im replying lol.

I find that a 1/4" thick blade of well tempered carbon or stainless steel (pick your poison) is my magic number. it can provide lateral stability if needed, I can pry with it, I can do almost anything with it, never having to worry about it snapping and injuring myself, never being afraid to use it when I need it because I know its up to the task. There are really strong specialty steels, but they generally bend instead of break...I dont want the blade to bend or break...hence my 1/4" thick requirement.

I feel a big knife can do everything a small one can, but not the other way around. Although if you just use your knife for cutting and thats it, a smaller blade will be just fine I suppose. I like a blade 8 - 12" long with 1 - 3" of serrations towards the rear of the blade. They work great for some tasks and they wont get in the way of slashing or cutting tasks with that much knife in front of them. I like a wider blade for a nice belly. full tang is a must for me and removable scales (those are the only things that need replacing on a well made knife in my non professional opinion).

Im currently have an 11" blade custom made for me with every feature Ive decided I needed over the years, but nothing is wrong with a middle of the road factory made knife...Ive used them for over 20 years, again for me...thickness of the blade above all else will get you through the day, I just felt it was time to get exactly what I wanted and I happened know know a great bladesmith who specializes in utility / survival type knives was more than willing to take on the task.

As far as the 13 year old who wants a knife. I think a fixed blade is a better idea than a folder. I seem to recall that most injuries Ive seen in kids and teens with knives have been them closing a folder on a finger accidentally, even with the new lock blades. I also think that kids tend to play with folders like a toy when bored, but fixed blades are just tools (even if they are "cool" looking) and not treated as much as a thing to play with when bored....but I have limited experience.
    You can be prepared or be lucky and I'm not a lucky person.

before i get on topic i just want to say i love this thread so much. 68 pages of talk about knives. i am so glad something like this exists

Quote Originally Posted by justin_baker View Post
    Needs to be moderately sized. Needs to be able to chop decent size wood, down a tree if you absolutley have to, and be small enough to do any light task.
    This is a good choice,
    http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-0158.../dp/B000VL4G30
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Its build like a tank, has decent edge retention, weighted and sized perfectly as a lightweight trekking knife with plenty of firepower.
    just bought it for some work this month. hope it works!