Page 41 of 70 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife/Survival Knife Info.

Cold Steel is great. I have a bushman and a Recon tanto. The bushman is so cool how it can be a spear, it works extremely well. I got the Tanto for a great deal of 50 dollars. So Chiye tanka what cold steel knives do you have? I'd love to have one of their more expensive knives, but they get pretty pricey for me.
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

Hey for anyone who's interested pictures of the knife I made are finally up on my Forging a Knife thread in the making stuff section. You should take a look.
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

BG, you asked for it: 2 Trail Masters, 2 Recon Scouts, 2 SRK's, Recon Tanto, Master Hunter, Bush Ranger, 2 Voyagers tanto point, 1 Voyager clip point, Kobun, awe he//, I can't remember them all. I'm trying to photo my collection for the knife nutz group. Should be done in a couple days, then you can just see them.
    I did just get the Pocket Bushman the other day. Haven't gotten to use it yet though.

My name is Chiye Tanka and I have a knife problem!
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Hunter-Fisher-Trapper Ameriborn's Avatar

Is the regular bushman the one you can make a spear out of? If I remember correctly, it is, and for the price range, I hear they are really good knives for survival purposes, as it can be easily made into a spear.
    To live is to survive. To hunt is to live, to fish is to live and to trap is to live.

Survival Instructor S.E.R.E Guy's Avatar

Well since you said you carry a leatherman thats a good little folder because you can use it for skinning anything. So you might as well carry both, I have used the Gerber LMF which is a very good knife but the Cold Steel Scout is a very good fixed blade. But I would be sure to have a sharpening stone too, but then you could always make one out in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by chiye tanka View Post
    BG, you asked for it: 2 Trail Masters, 2 Recon Scouts, 2 SRK's, Recon Tanto, Master Hunter, Bush Ranger, 2 Voyagers tanto point, 1 Voyager clip point, Kobun, awe he//, I can't remember them all. I'm trying to photo my collection for the knife nutz group. Should be done in a couple days, then you can just see them.
    I did just get the Pocket Bushman the other day. Haven't gotten to use it yet though.

My name is Chiye Tanka and I have a knife problem!
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!! That is totally amazing! Man TWO trail masters and recon scouts AND SRK's??? That's just out of this world! Why did you get two and not just one? The Recon scout is just like a smaller version of the Trail master right? Voyagers are great pocket knives. The cold steel guys do pull-ups on them to test the locking mechanism. Wow that's so cool how many knifes you have. OK here's a tough question....which one's your favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by Ameriborn View Post
    Is the regular bushman the one you can make a spear out of? If I remember correctly, it is, and for the price range, I hear they are really good knives for survival purposes, as it can be easily made into a spear.
    Yeah you can make a very very effective spear out of the bushman, and it throws great. That really is an amazing survival knife and you just can't beat teh price on it either.

i dont own any knives from coldsteel yet. i really like the master hunter and the pendleton. you guys got any suggestions?

I'd say the SRK. I skinned six deer and a moose before I had to sharpen it. That's why I have 2 of those models. CS stopped making them from Carbon V, so I bought extras in case something ever happened to one of them.
    I love guns and knives, but sooner or later, you run out of ammo.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Yeah I would have chosen the SRK too. It's more utilitarian than the Recon tanto IMO. I wanted an SRK, but I got a great deal onthe Recon tanto that I couldn't pass up, so I got the tanto. The only thing I wish is that the Srk and Recon tanto had a metal guard, adn some kind of butt cap like the Ka-bar has.

Bussee, Scrap Yard, Tops, they're all great knives.
    Tone, I agree with BG, if you're going with CS, the SRK's the way to go.
    If price is not an issue, look at some custom knives.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

I post rarely, if ever on this site but I feel as If I can provide some insight here. You really need to decide what task your using your knife for. As strictly a survival knife your Leather man will do nicely. That being said it will not chop or dig or trim limbs with any speed for this you will need a fixed blade to do most of the heavy lifting. I would recommend the Kukri.

The kukri (Devanāgarī: खुकुरी)(also sometimes spelled khukri or khukuri) is a curved Nepalese knife used as both tool and weapon. It is also a part of the regimental weaponry and heraldry of Gurkha fighters. It is known to many people as simply the "Gurkha Blade" or "Gurkha Knife". Also widely used in the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand state of India, where it is called Kaanta or Dafya (in Kumaoni).

I taught wilderness survival In Mt, I was out for 4 months. If I could only one thing with me it would be my Kukri. It can do it all.

Firesage thanks for the info. How bout you head over to the intros and tell us about yourself.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

I Have A 942 Benchmade Folding Knife I Bring. But The Best Fix Blade Knife I've Ever Has Was My Grandfather's Ka Bar From WWII Era. Its Wooden Handle Is Worn To Fit Your Hand Very Nicely. Its Heaver Than Most I've Had, But Holds An Edge Better Than Other's I've Owned.

i love benchmade. i carry a griptillian every where i go.

I Have Never Found A Knife That Feels The Same As It Did The Day I Bought It. Plus I'm The Best Person To Sharpen A Knife, So I Just Send Them In With $5 And They Look Them Over For Damage And Usually Fix It For Free And Then They Sharpen It. Can't Say Any Bad Things About Them.

Here are some medium sized blades 4-5" that would get the job done (I stil like big blades as well). The Top left in photo is a Becker campanion(there is a new one out from K-bar called champion) right is SOG revolver with saw bottom left is Buck 880 the only folder I would concider taking solo and botom is a Cold Steel Master Hunter in carbon v. Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

How do you like the Sog Revolver? I'm kinda weary of it out in the field since it folds.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Ranger x it rotates not folds and the release is flush with the handle . It appears safe enough to me the blade or saw rotates up out of the handle so preasure on the cuting edge would only reinforce the stability of the blade.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

So would you be afraid of the pin that it rotates upon popping out?
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa