Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife/Survival Knife Info.

kershaw makes some dang good folders. they will stay sharp for a long time and they are really solid. check out kershawknives.com. good stuff.

thanks, yeah that does look pretty sweet. but i would probably have to go find one at a store somewhere so i could actually hold it because i hate buying knives that i have never felt or looked at closley. is it just me or does it seem like those knives where you can exchange the blade fo a saw or different blade are a really bad idea? jesus does rock

is a gut hook really necassary? if im in a survival situation im probably not going to be getting much big game. so is there any other uses to a gut hook then guts? bare with me im only sixteen and i literally have about zero hunting experience but i do want to learn about this stuff.

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jimjimjimmyjim View Post
    thanks, yeah that does look pretty sweet. but i would probably have to go find one at a store somewhere so i could actually hold it because i hate buying knives that i have never felt or looked at closley. is it just me or does it seem like those knives where you can exchange the blade fo a saw or different blade are a really bad idea? jesus does rock
    I hear you, I, for one, don't care for knives where you can exchange blades. Seems to me that it might weaken the knife some how. However, if mail-order is the only way to go then I've no other choice, I just order from a company with a decent return policy.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jimjimjimmyjim View Post
    is a gut hook really necassary? if im in a survival situation im probably not going to be getting much big game. so is there any other uses to a gut hook then guts? bare with me im only sixteen and i literally have about zero hunting experience but i do want to learn about this stuff.
    I maintain that any accessories on a knife are purely up to the individual's taste.
    None of my fixed-blade knives have a "gut-hook". However just about all of my Swiss Army knives seem to have something that could be called that. I don't care for the idea of a gut-hook on a fixed-blade knife as it seems that it could snag on things too easy.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sarge 47;
    I'm not much for flash and fancy, and maybe you can inform me of some of the knives being offered on the market today.
    I am currious about these serrated knife blades. What are they good for? The steel in them can't be all that good if you have to saw through whatever it is you are trying to cut.
    I understand the safety feature of having a lock blade, but in the end if you have a sharp blade and you are using the knife right, you won't have a need to lock the blade open, now would you?
    We all have our preferences, and styles we tend to saunter over to, in my life I can't say how many knives I have had. I have had long knives, they are ok, I guess.
    I prefere the old pocket knife, I still have the "Old Timer" my dad gave me over 45 years ago. It is retired now as it has been sharpened far too many times and the blades resemble ice picks more than blades any more.
    For my use and needs a 3" blade is just about right, no serations, no fancy gut hooks, just a simple blade.
    I will go for a long blade when I am cutting meat, other than that, it is my pocket knife that I use for everything else, cleaning and trimming my nails, opening my mail, and in a fix, cutting my meat.
    My pocket knife fit's my pocket nicely, and is out of site, unlike a long knife that needs to be hung from your belt.
    Though you intend the knife as purely utilitairian, a long knife on your belt, there will be those who will see it as a weapon, and may play on you to use it. In some places it is seen as a weapon, and the laws are prohibitive twards them.
    This thing with the serrated blade up next to the knifes handle, this is the part of the knife I use for whittling, and slicing stuff. I don't want to saw stuff.
    Knives are a specialized tool for the individual, for the person what type he/she chooses is purely to their taste.
    Survival, you have only so much stuff you can carry, this is where you decide over flash fancy and utilitarian.

Rusty.
    Last edited by rusty_oxydado; 07-15-2007 at 07:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Personal preferance.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty_oxydado View Post
    Sarge 47;
    I'm not much for flash and fancy, and maybe you can inform me of some of the knives being offered on the market today.
    I am currious about these serrated knife blades. What are they good for? The steel in them can't be all that good if you have to saw through whatever it is you are trying to cut.
    I understand the safety feature of having a lock blade, but in the end if you have a sharp blade and you are using the knife right, you won't have a need to lock the blade open, now would you?
    We all have our preferences, and styles we tend to saunter over to, in my life I can't say how many knives I have had. I have had long knives, they are ok, I guess.
    I prefere the old pocket knife, I still have the "Old Timer" my dad gave me over 45 years ago. It is retired now as it has been sharpened far too many times and the blades resemble ice picks more than blades any more.
    For my use and needs a 3" blade is just about right, no serations, no fancy gut hooks, just a simple blade.
    I will go for a long blade when I am cutting meat, other than that, it is my pocket knife that I use for everything else, cleaning and trimming my nails, opening my mail, and in a fix, cutting my meat.
    My pocket knife fit's my pocket nicely, and is out of site, unlike a long knife that needs to be hung from your belt.
    Though you intend the knife as purely utilitairian, a long knife on your belt, there will be those who will see it as a weapon, and may play on you to use it. In some places it is seen as a weapon, and the laws are prohibitive twards them.
    This thing with the serrated blade up next to the knifes handle, this is the part of the knife I use for whittling, and slicing stuff. I don't want to saw stuff.
    Knives are a specialized tool for the individual, for the person what type he/she chooses is purely to their taste.
    Survival, you have only so much stuff you can carry, this is where you decide over flash fancy and utilitarian.

Rusty.
    First, I would say go with what you know. There are so many knives on the market today it would make your head spin. I only take a fixed-blade knife when I'm out in the woods or field. If I'm ever involved with the Boy Scouts again I wouldn't take a knife with a long blade. (Nothing over 4") It's too tempting for the young rascals to get a hold of and do some serious damage to themselves or others. In the field I also carry a swiss champ and a folding buck, but in different places in case something would happen to my fixed-blade knife. What I look for in any knife can be summed up in a three words: QUALITY, DURABILITY, & PRICE. I've been checking out knives on the internet and have narrowed MY choices down to two companies: Gerber and The Ontario knife Company. Both are outstanding companies and I know that if I pick something from their military groups I'm somewhat assured of my three areas. I want a "Rockwell Hardness count" between 52-58. (RC) This is not the hardest steel, but close. Any harder and the blade will be either difficult to sharpen in the field or brittle. I won't pay more than $130.00 for a good knife, and I mean GOOD! I've seen knives from $300 up to over a grand.
    I don't need that kind of a knife, but their may be others that do. I will only deal with established knife manufacturers who I know are reliable. On my belt I carry a Swiss Army Knife (Victorinox) that is longer than most and has a locking blade. Next to it is my Victorinox multi-tool. These are with me always. If you don't want the serrated blade then get a knife without one. They're only used for sawing through branches anyway, to the best of my knowledge. By the way, your "Old-Timer" is probably a collector's item now that Schrade has closed their doors. I hoped I've helped.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

The folder that Baer carries looks identical to the one I carry which is a Gerber Gator folder. Nice handle, serated about two inches and locks.

Never thought I would like a knife that had a 1/3 of it's length serated, but boy was I wrong. It zips through rope, works well for cutting nocks in arrows, cutting cane shoots for arrows and splitting feathers.

And it doesn't really cost all that much.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Go Gerber!

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    The folder that Baer carries looks identical to the one I carry which is a Gerber Gator folder. Nice handle, serated about two inches and locks.

Never thought I would like a knife that had a 1/3 of it's length serated, but boy was I wrong. It zips through rope, works well for cutting nocks in arrows, cutting cane shoots for arrows and splitting feathers.

And it doesn't really cost all that much.
    Gerber makes a top-quality knife!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I have a Knives of Alaska knife that is called a Bushcamp. It is one of the best knives that I have ever owned. It is very easy to sharpen and will hold a good edge. Cold Steels are also hard to beat. bear

Blog Entries

Thumbs down The 3 qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I have a Knives of Alaska knife that is called a Bushcamp. It is one of the best knives that I have ever owned. It is very easy to sharpen and will hold a good edge. Cold Steels are also hard to beat. bear
    The three things I look for in a knife is QUALITY, DURABILITY, & PRICE. The two brands you mentioned meet the 1st two, but fail the third....waaaayy to high priced for me.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

The glock knifes are great, the handels and scaberd are made from the same pastic as their pistoles. It holds a good edge and they are cheap.

Question does anyone own the Gerber LMF II survival knife?

Hy fellas, first post here. I am considering purchasing it but want to hear from some people who already own it or have used it. It looks to be a great knife for about 85$ ( as low as 70 on ebay). I should note that I am not an expert survivalist or anything, just another guy who likes to take extended camping trips a few times a year, if I can get away. I am going to plan my first mini survival expedition to the appalachian mountains in the fall and I am considering buying this knife for that reason.

Are there any better knives in that price range ( or cheaper?....but not too cheap if you know what I mean). I seem to be partial to Gerbers because they seem to be good values but I am open to any brand.

well a good knife is a buck knife my dad has had his for 25 years and it still works perfectly

I have this knife and love it, its very functional in practically any situation, its definately not a light knife but when you have it in hand and hold it properly it all balances out very well with a good grip on it. It is really good metal and very solid and certainly sharp out of the box, and with the sharpener already built in it's carrier, sharpening it is pretty simple and best of all the sharpener actually works fairly well. I live fairly close to the appalachian mountains and have used it with great results with the materials in that area. Now im not saying this is the absolute best knife but in all reality its hard to pick out one knife that is best but this no matter what is a great knife and I think is worth it if you plan to not abuse it past whats necessary it should last for a very long time.

Blog Entries

Cool Hi Frank!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankyFourFingers View Post
    Hy fellas, first post here. I am considering purchasing it but want to hear from some people who already own it or have used it. It looks to be a great knife for about 85$ ( as low as 70 on ebay). I should note that I am not an expert survivalist or anything, just another guy who likes to take extended camping trips a few times a year, if I can get away. I am going to plan my first mini survival expedition to the appalachian mountains in the fall and I am considering buying this knife for that reason.

Are there any better knives in that price range ( or cheaper?....but not too cheap if you know what I mean). I seem to be partial to Gerbers because they seem to be good values but I am open to any brand.
    Welcome Franky! Ive got three Buck knives and they are great. I'm also looking into the Gerber LMF as a smaller knife combined with the Ontario RTAK-II. The RTAK has a 10 inch blade as opposed to the RAT-7's 6 inch blade, although the RAT-7 is a great knife as well! In the end, you can't go wrong with either one of them as long as you treat them with the respect they deserve and the care that they'll need.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the replies fellas. Buying a knife is turning out to be much harder than I thought it would be...I am like a kid in a candy store. Right now I am leaning toward the Gerber LMF ( it just LOOKS like a beast...lol) but I will have to check out RTAK and RAT-7.

Hey, I just got a new set of knives after searching for a month or so... my first knife was a heavy duty and expensive plier type with a bunch of little tools that fold into the handle. I got a few other small pocket knives but last year i spent some money and got a really good knife. If you are looking for good quality, 'd say look for Buck Knives. They are sturdy, strong, and useful.
    I saw some other people say it depends on what you are gonna use it for. That's true. If you want one for hiking and camping and such, I would recommend a good folding knife, not a fixed blade. Even in a hard sheath, a fixed blade can puncture it and stab you if you trip and fall. (Happened to someone I knew, and ouch, took 3 operations to fix his leg up...)
    Yeah, so I'd look for brand name knives, like Buck, on the Buck site or other knife sites. Go to buckknives.com and there's all their knives... all great quality, if not a bit expensive. ...

Blog Entries

Wink Fixed vs. folders.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Hey, I just got a new set of knives after searching for a month or so... my first knife was a heavy duty and expensive plier type with a bunch of little tools that fold into the handle. I got a few other small pocket knives but last year i spent some money and got a really good knife. If you are looking for good quality, 'd say look for Buck Knives. They are sturdy, strong, and useful.
    I saw some other people say it depends on what you are gonna use it for. That's true. If you want one for hiking and camping and such, I would recommend a good folding knife, not a fixed blade. Even in a hard sheath, a fixed blade can puncture it and stab you if you trip and fall. (Happened to someone I knew, and ouch, took 3 operations to fix his leg up...)
    Yeah, so I'd look for brand name knives, like Buck, on the Buck site or other knife sites. Go to buckknives.com and there's all their knives... all great quality, if not a bit expensive. ...
    They're not nearly as expensive as the Bear Grylls Knife. :>) I own Three Buck knives & the Buck camp hand-axe. (Buck Lumina LED, Buck Pro-Line General, & the Buck Vanguard...without the gut-hook, makes it easier to use a "baton".) Buck is always top-quality for folks like us. However, I carry both folders & fixed if I'm out & about, or, as our Aussie brothers might put it: "Goin' for a bit of a walk-about mate."
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Default Perfect Knife

HI all, I am new to the forums and looking for a new knife.
    I know there is no such thing as a Perfect knife and it all depends on the specific use of the knife. I am looking for a knife that I can chop down trees with, Skin animals, clean fish, defend myself, clear brush, Hold a good edge, be durable and reliable, preferably with some serrations, be rust and corrosion resistant, have the ability to be razor sharp yet somewhat thick for sturdyness, and last of all be not to much over a $100.

Seems very difficult for me to find a knife like this.Although these are what I am looking at right now . Tell me what you think. hope the links work

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail...itary/Tactical

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/DBA802-2190-1258.html

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail...itary/Tactical

What is a better steel D2 or 1095?

I can't wait to hear some of you guys' responses, thanks in advance.

Semper Fi
    Last edited by Semper Fi; 07-21-2007 at 10:58 PM. Reason: adding knives I found