Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife/Survival Knife Info.

If you take care of your cabon knives they will last you a life time. Ive had mine for many years it is just part of your routine to check and take care of all of your equipment.

Blog Entries

People pass up sharpening with file, don't know why. They are great, but you can ruin a blade if you don't know what you're doing.

I sharpen by basic metal broadheads with a file, finish off with a leather strapping.

Protector Of The Land MedicineWolf's Avatar

Didn't mean to offend anyone, yeah Lobo this forum is about sharing info and I was trained since I was a young kid by my grandfather and his friends how to live off the land like my forefathers, the army taught me a little but not everything now I live up in northern Montana in my own handmade A-frame cabin, hunt for my food (not saying I don't go to the store) and fish using the tools of my heritage. So I know my way around the forests just a little, I just never seen no need for machete even in Panama I used my knife..
    Last edited by MedicineWolf; 11-09-2007 at 08:49 PM.

Blog Entries

I see there are are a few people here that have been down to Fort Sherman.

Yup, but Sherman and Fort Amador were turned over to Panama in 1999.

Blog Entries

Yeh. 2006 the USMC opened Jungle Warfare Training in Oki.

I went through Ft. Sherman back in 84. I hated it and loved it at the same time.

Thumbs up

This is the knife I have been carrying for the last 35 years. Got it from my Grandpa when I was 8 years old. It's a Schrade, with a 4" blade, leather handle, and it has a high carbon steel blade. It holds an edge excellently and is easy to re-sharpen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Default Knife size

What length fix blade knife do you prefer ? 5 1/4 inch is my favorite for all around use.

I have a Schrade fixed blade with a 4" blade. It's 8.5" o.a.l. I have been using it, in the woods, for the last 35 years. It has a high carbon steel blade that sharpens easily and holds its edge beautifully!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

That is all a matter of choice, as I prefer a 4inch patch knife, but a good of 6 to 8 inches knife along with it, alot of people I know say anything over 6in. is a waste of blade. I disagree as it all depends on the situation and what you prefer. I carry a 4in. patch knife and an 8in. hunter, mine were handmade one by a friend and one I ordered. I believe in spending the money on the knife as it is the single most important survival item you need.

For me a 5" blade in a fixed blade and 4" lock back but I like big knifes just that smaller blades are more useful for most task . If a person had to use a knife for defense 7" might be nice. Most knives that are described for bushcraft are about 4" If I am planing to cut saplings for shelter frames a 9" chopper is what I like. I find Swiss Army Knives indespencible as well. I would say a Nesmuk but am in the process of modifying a old hickory into one now and will see.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineWolf View Post
    I believe in spending the money on the knife as it is the single most important survival item you need.
    I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree. The word "item" is the basis for agreement as that eliminates knowledge as an option. Once a friend of mine (Creek/Cherokee/Scotch Irish) made a simple demonstration to me with a couple of rocks. He struck one against the other a single blow and knocked off a sliver. He then picked up the sliver and proceeded to easily shave hair on his arm with it. When I thought of the countless hours I'd spent trying to get that kind of an edge on a knife blade, I knew I had what Dr. Phil calls an "Aha moment". I'm never without knives but I also know now that if I ever am, I'll be ok. Knives are easy. Just ask any inmate.

I use a 4" blade in most applications, backed up with my "go to" knife with a 7" blade. I also carry a 'hawk or a small ax.
    To thyne self be true

Quote Originally Posted by carcajou garou View Post
    I use a 4" blade in most applications, backed up with my "go to" knife with a 7" blade. I also carry a 'hawk or a small ax.

Like your style

inmates dont make knives they make shanks. simple stabbing instruments. you rarely see any blades in prison with a sharp edge other that the razor slashers but they steal the razorz

small axe vs. machete

which would you all say is best? i think that a machete can serve all the same uses as an axe and has a longer reach

It all depends on what you want to do, and even more so your ability with either.
    Being limited to only one I would defer to my small ax or "hawk. They are very sharp and with handle removed can be used like a palm knife (ULU)
    To thyne self be true

Quote Originally Posted by explodingearth View Post
    inmates dont make knives they make shanks. simple stabbing instruments. you rarely see any blades in prison with a sharp edge other that the razor slashers but they steal the razorz
    I had a co-worker stabbed in the liver with a paper clip he almost didnt make it to surgery , it is not so much what you got but how you aply what you got I have seen a fair stabbing weapon made from a styrofoam cup melted down and I have seen straight up knives coming out of the shop they are al caled shanks but come in many forms.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineWolf View Post
    That is all a matter of choice, as I prefer a 4inch patch knife, but a good of 6 to 8 inches knife along with it, alot of people I know say anything over 6in. is a waste of blade. I disagree as it all depends on the situation and what you prefer. I carry a 4in. patch knife and an 8in. hunter, mine were handmade one by a friend and one I ordered. I believe in spending the money on the knife as it is the single most important survival item you need.
    Gotta agree here with MW. It's all what the individual wants. Some folks get by with one blade, and some of those are 4" or so long and some a lot longer. I have a Buck Folder with a 2 1/2" blade, a Buck Vanguard with a 4" blade, a Buck general with a 7" Blade, and my Ka-Bar Bull-Dozier with a 7" Blade. I'd use any of the fixed blades in any situation not requiring fine work. Instead of a machete I'd go with Ontario knive's R-TAK-II with it's 10" Blade,backed up, perhaps with their RAT-7 with D-2 steel. If I want another 4" fixed blade knife for a good Survival knife I'd look into Gerber's "LMF-II" although I hear the "Mora knife" is pretty good with the same size blade.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I carry a Frost Mora EDC. It is a good knife. I prefer a 4 to 6 inch knife. My go to knife was a M7 Bennett till I changed the handle. I started caring the Frost about a year ago and put the M7 on my pack for field use only.

I have a Buck Light for my folder. I also have several types of SAK's.

The right tool for the job.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!