Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1395

Thread: Knife/Survival Knife Info.

Quote Originally Posted by Survival Guy 10 View Post
    just to start off i beat the #@*$ out of my knives i had a buck nighthawk the longest one it was great for the money i payed about 65 for it and it was great until it came out of the sheath soo now i have a ka bar united states marine core edition it is great i know i use my knives to cut down trees big ones i used that ka bar to split a hickory stick to do that i had to beat the knife with a hammer it is holding up great

Might be just me, but I do find it offensive when someone doesn't spell "United States Marine Corps" correctly. But hey thats just me being a Marine. Semper Fi
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sthrnstrong View Post
    Might be just me, but I do find it offensive when someone doesn't spell "United States Marine Corps" correctly. But hey thats just me being a Marine. Semper Fi
    Sorry, you feel offended. But please keep in mind that he is 13.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

LOL. Guess I really need to start checking profiles before I speak.

Btw. RangerXantos whereabouts are in NE Georgia. I around Forsyth for about 15yrs. Got a bunch of buddies around Winder area.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sthrnstrong View Post
    LOL. Guess I really need to start checking profiles before I speak.

Btw. RangerXantos whereabouts are in NE Georgia. I around Forsyth for about 15yrs. Got a bunch of buddies around Winder area.
    The way he tries, I think it would be easy to confuse him with someone older.

I'm a little North East from Winder in Elberton. I spend a lot of time in Athens, Hartwell, Lavonia, and a couple of places in South Carolina that border Georgia. So I see a lot of cars with a Winder tag.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Default Help

OK SO until the knife making chops have come of age, I am in the market for a new Bushcraft/Trail knife. The budget is a problem. I'm broke and baby food takes priority over knives (thought the wife got me a new Machete for Christmas YAY!!!)
    I need a camp and trail knife, so a lot of wood use, no skinning, but plenty of splitting small kindling. I really like the Ray Mears style of bushcraft knives, I just can't pay the price. anyone know of something in the family at least. I've thought about puukkos and Mora's (can't beat the price) but I want a full tang, not a stick tang. I want to try and stay under $50.oo
    Any suggestions?

For that money there are more choices than you can shake a leather sheath at. Pawn shops, yard sales, gun shows can all be sources of experienced knives. Walmart has several that fit your criteria. There are some very good knives that can be had for under $50.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i would check out Cold Steel. they a variety of blades to choose from all at different prices. i have the SRK which is a really tough blade and comes with a great sheath all for around 60-70$ if you look good.

another bang for the buck knife would be a ka-bar. i bought two for my brothers both under 50$. those are some hard working blades and they too come with good sheaths.
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

Ok so I've been doing some home work towards what I need and want, found a couple in my price range, D2 tool steel or Damascus. I've read that Damascus is really just two blended tool steels, so as for the steel does anyone have an opinoin in this case?

Damascus steel, when welded (heated in forge, and beat into one piece) properly can be very tough. Done improperly it can fall apart, break, etc. There is a guy in the knife club that I joined that makes damascus steel. Some members have said the quality is lacking. I belive that many (not all) that purchase a damasucs steel knife are reluctant to use it and would rather display it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a Damascus steel knife,which I used to carry all the time. It is a very tough little knife. That was my problem it was too small for most of the uses I would need it for in the bush.I have folders that have larger blades. I replaced it with an excellent little O-1 carbon steel knife,that is a very good knife.
    Really it is all a matter of preference, There is no such thing as a "Perfect knife",it is as elusive as a Unicorn. Each knife has it's benefits and it's downfalls,due to design or composition of materials. My suggestion would be to go with a medium size knife of proven design and materials.

Damascus is tough, it is beautiful,it is hard,it combines the properties of two steels and can be one of the best knives you will ever own.... If it is properly made. However you could also find a knife made from a single type of steel that will perform as well,without the price tag that comes along with Damascus. Really the choice is yours. Find some info on the different types of knife steels,and go with what suits your needs/preferences,in a proven design.

I know this sounds like a "Cop-out" answer. But really it is the best advice that I can give you on the selection of any knife you ever look at. Choose a steel that's properties suit your needs, in a proven design.

Smile Whats the best survival knife?

I plan on getting a new knife since the one I have is a bit to big and cluncky to use all that well (10" blade). I would like to stay fairly low price as well since I dont have a steady income. Anyone?
    Survival

Blog Entries

OH Brother!
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Blog Entries

Cool Funny!

This is a joke, right? If not, you just crossed over into "Numpty" land!

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Dylan View Post
    I plan on getting a new knife since the one I have is a bit to big and cluncky to use all that well (10" blade). I would like to stay fairly low price as well since I dont have a steady income. Anyone?
    Just grind 5 inches off the end of the knife you have.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Just in case anybody bought one of these back in the 1980's I apologize in advance for laughing. I don't recall ever seeing the commercial on TV, but was LMAO when I saw the You Tube vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gj9CMvwfv4
    LOL,,,, I still Have one of those,,,,,,,,,, someplace ,, ?? My aunt bought my Cousin and I each one for Christmas,,,,, LOL

I know this is an old thread, I just wanted to tell Crash Thanks for bringing a fond memory back to me,,,

Funny, you started out your post "just in case" lol

Blog Entries
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

The one you have.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    ....... you just crossed over into "Numpty" land!
    This is your Numpty Land prize!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Your not going to get your 500 points this way; okay, for low cost go to Safe zone & check out these Mora Knives. They're very good & low cost. Read Klkak's praise report on the Mora Survival knife 2000!

http://www.safezonellc.com/mora2000.html

http://www.safezonellc.com/kevin.html

This is the one I bought from Safe Zone:

http://www.safezonellc.com/mora746.html

There are many more models to choose from, but the 2000 is obviously a great one for the money!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin