Page 39 of 70 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife/Survival Knife Info.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My personal favorite is Solengen knives, made in germany, they are forged from the finest quality german steel.they range from the 100's also.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

I've already looked at their site. Looks like some nice knives. Just a little spendy for me. But thanks. I've got a couple of different knives and they seem to serve me pretty well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'd like to try a Nessmuk style knife. I don't know what the weird designe is for. I'm sure people here have read that book Woodcraft and Camping by "Nessmuk"
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Nessmuk style

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Groove View Post
    I'd like to try a Nessmuk style knife. I don't know what the weird designe is for. I'm sure people here have read that book Woodcraft and Camping by "Nessmuk"
    Here are a couple I made for my grandson. That's the style I like, fits the hand, slices well, good skinner. It is not an axe or saw just a good style blade. If you want you can modify an Old Hickory skinner and for under $10 you can make one. I make my own because none are available except custom. The blade ain't "mean" looking, just works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Very nice Coot!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

As I said when I first saw them, "they're a work of art"!

Coot what kind of steel did you use?
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Very nice job...really nice shape. When I get the shop up and finished, will have to try to make a knife, be completely off track for me, never worked with metal before.

Very nice work Coot.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Coot, that looks just like the one in the book. That's so cool. I read this artical on the internet of custom made ones, and yours look just as good. I like the sheaths especially. So what is the "hump-back" used for. I mean what would Nessmuk have wanted a hump on the back of his knife
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

Smile Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    As I said when I first saw them, "they're a work of art"!

Coot what kind of steel did you use?
    I appreciate that. Those are made from a 10" carbide tipped saw blade, full tang. Handles are hardwood. Maple on the larger one and cherry on the small. I used 1/2" flooring scraps. Pins are brass welding rod, thong hole on the larger is a 22mag case. I cut the blades out with a Dremel tool, heated to cherry red and cooled slowly,drilled the holes on the drill press, removed stock with a belt sander, then smoothed with a large mill file. Reheated to non magnetic, quenched in 10W30, cleaned and reheated about 3/4" of edge with a torch. Edge quenched in water, kept the blade pretty cool while heating the edge. Went by color and had a decent edge line. After epoxy and brass shaped the handles with sandpaper and used a tomato to coat the blade except for the edge. Next day I cleaned them up a bit, sewed sheaths and that's it. Not complicated at all. I use a forge sometimes but for this type of blade this is faster and quicker. If you don't heat up the saw blade you can draw file it to shape and it will have a decent holding edge. Those are strong, working knives and nothing really fancy except the tomato acid to kinda age and dull the top of the blade.

Blood Groove, the hump works like a good skinner, keeping the guts from getting cut. If you read the dimensions on the knife the blade is thin, but not flexible. Sears carried a small double bit axe and a good pocket knife. The knife isn't too big yet not too small and can be used around camp, kitchen or in the field. It ain't a true fighter, skinner or "survival" type, but I personally use one most every day and even banged one thru a treated 2X4 with a hammer and didn't hurt the edge but put a few dents in the back. They are tools I make and use. I have a few scattered around I didn't bother to clean but they do their job.

Default Ingenuity!

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    I appreciate that. Those are made from a 10" carbide tipped saw blade, full tang. Handles are hardwood. Maple on the larger one and cherry on the small. I used 1/2" flooring scraps. Pins are brass welding rod, thong hole on the larger is a 22mag case. I cut the blades out with a Dremel tool.
    Coot, I like how you used scraps, brass welding rod, and a shell case. There was no problems cutting the saw blade with a Dremel tool? Did you cut the blade and tang to almost the final shape with the Dremel? Also it's very deceiving how the saw blade looks so thick. Thanks for sharing your tips!

Smile Knife Making

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    Coot, I like how you used scraps, brass welding rod, and a shell case. There was no problems cutting the saw blade with a Dremel tool? Did you cut the blade and tang to almost the final shape with the Dremel? Also it's very deceiving how the saw blade looks so thick. Thanks for sharing your tips!
    The full thickness of a saw blade is plenty for a knife and the Dremel cuts very well even if it takes a couple of discs for each blade. With a good, long file draw filing removes lots of metal quickly with very good control. I cut within an 1/8" of my line and if necessary it is easily smoothed. A 10" carbide tip saw blade steel is decent as is because only the tips have been changed. The brass pins are almost decorative because 2ton epoxy would hold very well, I sometimes drill a few more holes than necessary to give the epoxy more "bite". I think you could make a knife like I do without any problem. If I can give any help just let me know.

Thanks Coot, which # Dremel disc (Cut-off Wheel) are you using?

Thas ts good work VW Coot. Can a lawn mower blade be used for knife makeing?
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
    Can a lawn mower blade be used for knife makeing?
    Yep.......
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have taken a shine, to the Smith and Wesson baby SWAT knife. and its only $30.
    Jesus is my king.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yep.......
    Thanks.........no really I mean it!!
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

Just think of it as a leaf spring that somebody put a bit of an edge on.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Blood Groove, the hump works like a good skinner, keeping the guts from getting cut. If you read the dimensions on the knife the blade is thin, but not flexible. Sears carried a small double bit axe and a good pocket knife. The knife isn't too big yet not too small and can be used around camp, kitchen or in the field. It ain't a true fighter, skinner or "survival" type, but I personally use one most every day and even banged one thru a treated 2X4 with a hammer and didn't hurt the edge but put a few dents in the back. They are tools I make and use. I have a few scattered around I didn't bother to clean but they do their job.
    Ahh so that hump keeps the guts and stuff out fo the way so their not punctured when skinning. OK that makes sence. Well I'm really impressed with them.