Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1395

Thread: Knife/Survival Knife Info.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goloth View Post
    ken, I'd much rather have a knife then coffee. lol
    No difference. You'd p*ss through both of them in about the same amount of time.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    How good do you think that knife would be a generating a spark with a piece of flint?
    AHA! I have already given this thought, and I will buy a set of flint from my local army surplus store, which is small 'nough to fit in the hollowed handle.

AHA! I have already given this thought, and I will buy a set of flint from my local army surplus store, which is small 'nough to fit in the hollowed handle.
    What will you use to strike that flint in order to make a spark? The back edge of the knife?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't think that it being 440 steel is going to be all that great for survival unless it is of thick stock. Atleast 1/4" if it's going to be that long. And a hollow handle means that it will probably break where the blade meets the handle. At $16 dollars, you're going to get a $16 dollar knife.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

What will you use to strike that flint in order to make a spark? The back edge of the knife?
    Okay, you got me... lol I give up.

I'm well aware of what the 'Rambo Knife' looks like, however, this is a very different knife, for a few reasons, the knife itself is made of a much harder steel, (fit for survival purposes), then the 'replica' failure knives, the knife Rambo uses, is also approximately a foot long blade.

Here the real rambo knives from the first three movies. Look real close then look at yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Well why not?

Okay, you got me... lol I give up.
    Well, you talk about this great survival knife. In your first post you said that the hollow handled knives were weak, and you were right. You also said that it was made from 440 stainless (I have several of that same material). In another thread you said you hope to go into the wilderness with just a knife someday (after you learn a bit more). That might be a great adventure for you, and I wish you luck. In the things that you learn, you will probably find that 440 stainless and flint do not do a good job at making a spark. The knife you bought, although cool looking, is not a great knife in my opinion. Please hang around the forum, there is probably a lot you can learn. I know there is a lot I can learn as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tennecedar View Post
    I'm well aware of what the 'Rambo Knife' looks like, however, this is a very different knife, for a few reasons, the knife itself is made of a much harder steel, (fit for survival purposes), then the 'replica' failure knives, the knife Rambo uses, is also approximately a foot long blade.

Here the real rambo knives from the first three movies. Look real close then look at yours.
    Beautiful knives... shame they probably aren't any good anymore. Yeah, I know, mine looks like the knife from FB part two, which really doesn't matter much to me. I think it could last me in a survival situation, however, I ALWAYS have a backup plan. So either way, it's a nice knife to have in my own opinion.

Well, you talk about this great survival knife. In your first post you said that the hollow handled knives were weak, and you were right. You also said that it was made from 440 stainless (I have several of that same material). In another thread you said you hope to go into the wilderness with just a knife someday (after you learn a bit more). That might be a great adventure for you, and I wish you luck. In the things that you learn, you will probably find that 440 stainless and flint do not do a good job at making a spark. The knife you bought, although cool looking, is not a great knife in my opinion. Please hang around the forum, there is probably a lot you can learn. I know there is a lot I can learn as well.
    I will for sure, thank you.

I truly hope it serves you for years. Again, please go thru this thread and do some research. Don't take everything everybody has to say as the definitive truth. Look it up online or at the library. You be the judge. The men and women that have posted here have spent years if not decades gaining hands on experience. Knowledge is the only thing that will keep you alive in survival situation. Yours or your rescuers. All the nifty gadgets in the world mean squat without knowing how to use them and knowing they will do the job.
    Well why not?

Blog Entries

Klkak's Signature

1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Every word is true.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Klkak's Signature

1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Every word is true.
    Amen! A lesson for all! For the new an old members...
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

I wasn't going to say anything about this, however I was thinking about the army surplus store here and it popped into my head, about the 15 dollar for a 15 dollar knife thing, in other words (you get what you pay for) and what came to mind is, when you got a site that sells that many different kinds of knives, they usually get 80% of them on surplus, so they sell them for WAY LESSthen the knives would be otherwise. Just a thought, but that's about it for me for tonight.

Goloth - you do not have to spend a lot of money for a good knife that you can rely on. In this link The top two knives are not expensive, but are very good quality knives. Another thing to remember is that just because a knife costs a lot does not make it a good knife.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Surreptitious Watchman Kemperor's Avatar

I got a pretty decent Frosts of Mora knife for only $10. High carbon, red handle so I cna find it if I drop it. SHARP!

Hunter-Fisher-Trapper Ameriborn's Avatar

You asked what we think, and I agree with Crash. It will break under any kind of hard use right where the handle meets the balde, due to there being no to tang. A hollow handle is a horrible knife, unless it is one solid piece of steel. (Cold Steel Bushman, Schrade Extreme Survival, CRK)
    To live is to survive. To hunt is to live, to fish is to live and to trap is to live.

I wouldn't stake my life on the knife. But! If you like it then it's okay. Are there better knives out there. Yes. Are there better knives to be used for survival? Yes again. It's not something I'd carry, which is why I don't own one. But I don't have anything against hollow handled knives. As long as you understand the place where the tube and the blade are connected is a weak point then have fun.

Had you taken the time to read the thread you would have known what most think of that knife. But you didn't. You were quick to post something you were proud of then not particularly appreciative of the comments you received even though you asked for them.

Take a moment and read some of the threads. Take the time to educate yourself. That's what they are here for. That's what we are here for.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ameriborn View Post
    You asked what we think, and I agree with Crash. It will break under any kind of hard use right where the handle meets the balde, due to there being no to tang. A hollow handle is a horrible knife, unless it is one solid piece of steel. (Cold Steel Bushman, Schrade Extreme Survival, CRK)
    I said hollow-handle, but most survival knives made like that are half-tang my friend.

Exactly his point. That's why they break there. His post was valid.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I said hollow-handle, but most survival knives made like that are half-tang my friend.
    ...and with that, you just proved his point (or at least agreed with him). As Rick said - that's exactly the point. Here's a definition on tang that is applicable here:
    Tang: is the part of the knife blade that extends into the handle. The strongest knives are fixed blade knives with a full tang that extends down the entire handle to the pommel. Half tang knives are cheaper and more likely to break under stress.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel