Thread: A Simple Leuku

Default A Simple Leuku

I was starting to become very embarrassed when people would ask me if I had a knife I made on me and all I would ever have is a crappy knife I made a few years ago that more resembles a shiv then a proper knife, so when I could stand it no more I made myself a simple leuku. This knife is common in northern Europe and often used by the Sammi reindeer herders. I have recently come to enjoy these knives and decided to make one just for me. The blade is 1090 with hamon and measures 5 1/2 inches long, copper ferrule leather spacers and Minnesota birch burl. My fiance and I were hunting pasque flowers this morning when I took this photo, new knife for a new spring. All comments are welcome, but since this one is mine I wasn't too fussy about it being a very nice knife, just simple and utilitarian. It also has a simple brown pouch sheath not shown in the picture as I was too lazy to take it off my belt for the photo

Robert
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 04-28-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh love that handle. Nice.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Nice looking knife. I have to think that if I got a knife like that in the humidity down here it would be rusty in a minute though.

What kind of sheath are you using?

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Beautiful knife - beautiful handle. You sure do nice work!!!

Thanks guys, and Batch you are probably right for anywhere in South America or the southern USA, but thankfully Minnesota is a pretty dry place. I'm using a simple pouch sheath for it.

Well, that wood looks awesome!