Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife/Survival Knife Info.

Have several lengths styles and makes depends on the job at hand

hey there,
    i spoke of the 20 inches machete last week, and i would like to share, a couple clips with you.. about how you can sharpen a machete because of the fact that you can bend it, and get it very thin ,,,, making it razor sharp.... lot of the trick too, is the file,

like i said, against all the harsh works against the machete,,,, i am not saying to thought your bucks away... im just saying to try out new ideas.

if i could have only one tool out there in the bush,, for the rest of my life,,,, it would be a 20' machete.
    this video is hard to see ,, but there are little shavings of metal coming up on every stroke of file,,,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTX6laT6k9c

granted this is a banana plant, and can be cut with a machete, but this is 8 inche at the bottom, and it must be sharp to thought it in one hit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N74dHf2ACXs

if anyone would like more explanations, on this techniques. let me know.

Blog Entries

Default Me too!!!

If I could have one tool out in the bush for the rest of my life it would be Jose Lobo to do all the work jk great video dude, thanks.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I am never without my Swiss Army knife and my SOG folder. I carry an EK that will hold anyone's attention. I have a couple of versions of the Hideaway knife and ALWALYS have a Beretta 45 handy ( with a carry permit of course ). I do have a machete on my ATV. Also a Buck and Gerber in a fender bag. I tend to stay away from metal detectors.

Blog Entries

Ole WV Coot, what Ek knife do you have?
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Thumbs up EK knife

The one I carry has the blade of a Mod 3, (edge & 1/2). Made in Richmond, VA a little after 1982. Has a straight guard and replaced handles which are Walnut with common brass rivits. Four digit #. I don't remember if I put the straight guard on or not. I must have cut back the handles some since I now have a one inch extended tang.

hey there,
    i spoke of the 20 inches machete last week, and i would like to share, a couple clips with you.. about how you can sharpen a machete because of the fact that you can bend it, and get it very thin ,,,, making it razor sharp.... lot of the trick too, is the file,

like i said, against all the harsh works against the machete,,,, i am not saying to thought your bucks away... im just saying to try out new ideas.

if i could have only one tool out there in the bush,, for the rest of my life,,,, it would be a 20' machete.
    this video is hard to see ,, but there are little shavings of metal coming up on every stroke of file,,,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTX6laT6k9c

granted this is a banana plant, and can be cut with a machete, but this is 8 inche at the bottom, and it must be sharp to thought it in one hit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N74dHf2ACXs

if anyone would like more explanations, on this techniques. let me know.

Lightbulb

A knife, like a car or truck, is a personal choice. I have been all over the world with my 4" Schrade; All 50 states in the U.S., Australia, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Guatemala, Mexico, Yukon Territory, B.C., New Foundland, etc. I have used it in boreal forests, deserts, jungles, arctic terrain, etc. It has done everything I have ever needed it to do.

I see people carrying knives with blades as big 13" and machetes as big as 40" (o.a.l.) If that's what they choose, so be it!

My knife is 8 1/4" o.a.l., is all I need, and I don't get hassled when I carry it in urban areas (other than in CA) and I don't go there!

I have even packed it in my check-in luggage when traveling, post 9/11, and have never had any trouble.

When people ask me what I think is the best knife, I reply; The best knife for "me" is my Schrade. . . .The best knife for "you", is what ever you like and feels comfortable for you to handle and use. Knowing how to use a knife is the #1 priority.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nativedude View Post
    This is the knife I have been carrying for the last 35 years. Got it from my Grandpa when I was 8 years old. It's a Schrade, with a 4" blade, leather handle, and it has a high carbon steel blade. It holds an edge excellently and is easy to re-sharpen.
    Man that yellow tape makes me think you have studied the 98.6 methods by Cody Lungren
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

if you think about it 911 actually helped the us. what are the chances of something like that happening again they showed us our security flaws. funny thing is thats how it goes in the US nothing is ever improved witohut hundreds of people dying first. NEVEr any proactive measures being taken

Protector Of The Land MedicineWolf's Avatar

The chances are moderate to high that it will happen again, don't fool yourself.

considering the usa did it themselves , the chances are extremely high , soon as they find lots of oil in africa the usa will be there with the exact same reason.

The government gained a lot of power from 911. How would you convince people to give up more of their freedoms to gain a titer grip around them? Convince them that there is a threat and that they need your protection. It’s a very effective strategy, Hitler used it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HOP View Post
    Man that yellow tape makes me think you have studied the 98.6 methods by Cody Lungren
    The tape is not because of Cody Lundin, it is because, in the past, I have dropped my knife in the woods, especially in the fall, and it has taken valuable time to find it in amongst the leaves, brown grass, dirt, etc. I learned many years ago to mark the "dark" colored tools in my shoulder bag. I also use it a teaching guide for my students.

I never quite understood why anyone would buy and carry "camouflage" knives, binos, etc. with them? I know quite a few people who have lost these things simply by dropping them, and then they are not able to find them.

My knife is my most important tool when I'm in the bush and I value its worth.

On a second note; MedicineWolf is right. The chances of another attack are high! We the sheeple are to lazy and oblivious to the obvious!!
    Last edited by Nativedude; 11-17-2007 at 06:00 PM.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Ge native dude thats the same reason that Cody marks his stuff with bright tape , go figure. The Security measures of the patriot act steming from 9/11 have not stopped or detered and teroist acts that we know of but gives false hope to many.

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Blog Entries

The idea of camo is a marketing scheme played on the consumer by the likes of Bass Pro and many other mega outdoorsy stores.

It is more of a fashion statement now days than any thing else. Yeh, you think you are invisable to the animals, wow. Many hundreds of years have gone by, with many animals hunted and taken without the use of camo and carbon based non scent clothing.

Chaching............they gotcha by the drawers on this one.

Ok guys -n- gals , I'm new to this forum but not to the outdoors. I carry 2 knives w/me at all times (Buck/Stryder 889 & SAK Soldier) & when I go into the bush I also have on my belt a BK-10 & Gerber multi-tool. On my day pack I have a CS kukri machete A good knife is priceless when your out w/ mothernature . To tell you the best to buy would only be my .02 , You need to go out & check out several different brands & models to see what fits our needs best. Good luck !

Default Use what is useful to you.

Hose Lobo, I saw your film on youtube. I like that. I have a machete and will sharpen it (if I can bend it) like that. I believe that you must be prepared when going into any wilderness area. If I am heading to an area that a machete is a good choice, I will take my machete. If I go into areas where a machete is not as practical, I will not take it.

Different knives for different purposes... some for multi-purposes. I carry a Camilus 'pilot' survival knife myself because it is practical and easy to handle for most of the purposes I use it for. If I am to do other types of work with a knife that needs to be a different type, I'll use that. Common Sense. Use what is useful to you I say and thank you for sharing that information on the machete.

I like them Beckers i have tried to buy, trade or what ever for a BK5 Magnum Camp Knife but unless K-Bar starts to make them for Becker I am stuck out. I have a few Busse Combats I enjoy very much and really enjoy the SOG revolver as well . I have a beat up pited from rust and needing a handle Cammilus USMC that the piting is really bad but I can't seem to put it dawn I have desided to cary it any wayu 1095 steel going to put a rawhide handle on it . Some one gave me the knife in the condition and I concider it a treasure and it sure gets sharp pits and al.

I like to carry a couple of different knives w/me
    I can't go out the door without my SAK Soldier & either my Buck/Stryder 889 SBMF or my Spyderco Wegner. As for a fixed blade I have been packing a 5 1/2" blade (BK10) but now I'm going to pack a 7" (BK7) a little more chopping power. I also like to carry on my pack a CS kukri machete.
    It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze !