Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1395

Thread: Knife/Survival Knife Info.

Quote Originally Posted by Benesse
    But then why label it as such?
    IMO it dilutes the concept.
    Well, you're entitled to your opinion as frivolous as it appears to be. And you can hang on to it if you don't mind being wrong.

(snort, chuckle)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Pardigm shift? This forum? Well, yea...nah. Have you seen the quality of folks around here? Some of 'em are lucky if they can shift a 3 speed.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

On a Whim, I just looked up "Survival Knife" on Wikipedia, It is really kind of Interesting and gives examples and Origins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_knife
    Last edited by Justin Case; 04-11-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

So is a "So Called" Survival Knife, still a survival knife if you can't quite reach it.....? or is it a piece of unless shinny metal........?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Pardigm shift? This forum? Well, yea...nah. Have you seen the quality of folks around here? Some of 'em are lucky if they can shift a 3 speed.
    Wow, man, a shift?, far out, man, haven't been in a shift for a spell, just look out the corners of you eyes you will see "Stuff", man.

Seriously now, we all need to get our knife preferences out there, so the younger generation can learn, like, right?
    So like whats the deal?
    I think we should schedule a "Survival Knife" discussion once a month, just "because"?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sourdough - I agree with you. Like Kevin says, "If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless." I feel the same way about whatever you need when you need it. If that knife (or whatever) is lost and unreachable then it's a "Could Have Been Survival Knife".

I was actually being serious when I asked young Ranger Dylan what he meant when he used the term survival knife. I don't know if he uses it as a term for his "go to" knife, or just the latest fad expression.

This forum isn't too bad when it comes to using the term survival. Most have a pretty level headed idea of what it is, and will guide those with a romanticized view of the term to some state of reality. If that doesn't work, we just send Sarge after them.

On other forums (I know - I was shocked as well to find out they existed) the term survival is thrown around like candy. In those cases, it's meaningless - just a bad plot line in a B movie. So much of this annoyance comes from marketing. Products like Survival Seed Bank, Survival Food, Survival Knives, Survival Guns, Survival ad nauseum just dilute the actual meaning and play on peoples fears to market their products.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash I have to agree with you.
    The terms are thrown around, a lot, with no clue of actual usage other than a few movies and TV shows.
    My "go to" knife and if I had a choice of ONE knife it would be a Swiss Army Knife, then add to that as needed.

Banned

not me,, I want the Rambo super deluxe with optional luggage rack and off road lights

My "survival" knife that I feel like I would want most as if I were going to be thrown into a survival situation changes. Sometimes I'd want my kuhkuri, other times my BK-2, one of my moras, swiss army knife, multi-tool, and sometimes I even feel like I would prefer with my Opinel. But if I was given the opportunity, I'd take them ALL. Like others have said, there is no right answer to this question. Just different people's opinions.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Blog Entries

Ah Ha! The question is not what knife, but how many do you carry?

So, how many do YOU carry?

I've always got the bowie, then there is the pocket Gerber, in my possibles bag is an old Union Cutlery 5" folder, on the strap is a striker knife with a 3.5" blade. Deeper in the bag are a variety of trade points rough sharpened, then there is the hand ax in the back pocket of the bag.

If I'm not going prim. then there will be a Leatherman on the belt, oh and if I have my bow with the modern homemade quiver then there is the Gerber Gator in it's case on the side of that.

Then there are a few misc. flint or chert tools that stay in the bottom of the bag for skinning critters.

Sometimes I substitute the bowie with the hawk.

Oh, I forgot, in the woods I always carry my pioneer style home made file knife. It's the workhorse.

And if you've been here long enough, ya know I like to throw knives. All my knives are throwable and if you are within 20 yards you could look like a pin cushion.

But if I had to take one and only one knife, it would be the sparker knife. 3.5" of blade is enough and it throws sparks with most rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Ah Ha! The question is not what knife, but how many do you carry?

So, how many do YOU carry?
    2 to 3. I always have the multitool, and the Mora. Sometimes I bring the SRk along for fun. He gets lonely at home sometimes.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I think we should schedule a "Survival Knife" discussion once a month, just "because"?
    Or....we could all just write up a pre-answer to the question and save it. When someone asks the question again, cut and paste.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Or....we could all just write up a pre-answer to the question and save it. When someone asks the question again, cut and paste.
    What would the fun in that?
    It is kinda fun seeing what different people come up with, and the different uses.
    I even picked up a couple of Opinel, after seeing them here, cool little knife.

Most of my time is either hunting, camping primitive, working in the brush, clearing, cutting, etc.
    So I do have a variety of different "tools" to do what ever job is at hand.

Anyway, I guess a standard list would help out if asked the dreaded question, "Which Knife is the Best?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Have you seen the quality of folks around here? Some of 'em are lucky if they can shift a 3 speed.
    Do they even make a 3 speed any more.Boy Rick you sure are showing your age buddy.

Two feet and 3 pedals.What more is there to say.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

i would take one of your sak there light weight and there easy to fit in tightly packed areas like your kit.

Default need help on what a good survival knife

i want to geta fixed blade survival knife thats not to big or not to small and not to expensive like $80

Quote Originally Posted by survivalpro#4 View Post
    i want to geta fixed blade survival knife thats not to big or not to small and not to expensive like $80
    OK - a couple of questions for your first, so I can tailor my answer for you.
    1. How old are you?
    2. What do you want to use it for (types of tasks you want to do with it)?
    3. What experience do you have with a fixed blade knife?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

First let me warn you. You are going to get 100 different responses from 100 different people. Some are even going to say "Oh NO!! Not THAT question again!!"

Mora's are good, most knives that have a blade from 4-6 inches are going to be pretty good, depending on the design, thickness, and Grind.

Personally (JUST MY OPINION), I prefer a fixed blade,full tang knife, that is made from a Good Quality steel. It would have a point that could be used for tight spots and easily sharpened. Some prefer stainless, I prefer High Carbon steel. Really it is hard to beat a Mora for value and price. For $80 you could buy 5 or 6 and have some pretty good knives. If you broke one,so what, you still have several more.

Still just my opinion, but knives are like wrenches,screwdrivers or any other tool. Some are Specialty use, some are general use. I would rather "layer" my knife choices so that use and size somewhat "overlap". Example: Swiss Army Knife (SAK), Liner lock @8-9 inches Over all Length(OAL) Good sheath knife about 9-10 inches OAL, small Machete in the 12 inch blade range, Hatchet, Tomahawk, or small Camp axe. Add to that a chisel, and saw and you have all the woods cutting tools you would need to do a LOT with. Using saw,chisel, and knife you can Craft all sorts of things. Traps, furniture, Shelters......

The best thing to do is ask YOURSELF "what uses will I put it to?" Then go from there.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Oh no!

ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!

I give up! (Walks away shaking head.)
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin