Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife/Survival Knife Info.

Default Knife/Survival Knife Info.

Hello Everyone,

I too have a survival kit problem. I have a master list that would probably fit into a small day pack. Lately though I have been developing a kit in a coffee can. I can describe it later if anyone is interested but on to my problem. It is what type of knife/tool should I put in the kit. I own a leatherman Wave that I carry all the time (even to church) and I have both wenger and victornx SAK(Both carry tidentical gear. Large lock blade, wood saw, philips and flathead drivers, awl). What are some of your opinions out there? Folding vs fixed? Multi tool (leatherman) vs Knife (SAK)?

just a good pocketknife would work. Serrated blade is better for survial in my opinion because it last longer before getting dull.

Bring something to sharpen your knife. Also a fixed knife is less likely to fall apart on you than a pocket knife. At the same time, a pocket knife has quite a few more functions than a simple survival knife does. Personally, I carry a pocket knife and a bic lighter all the time, and when I know I'm going out in the woods, I bring a 10'' survival knife I bought in an army surplus store, a sharpening stone, and a bic lighter.
    BSM

what a really good survival knife is its the aitor jungle king II. but it is hard to find so go to knifesearch.com and look unter sharpeners for the Sper-X- Survivor. which is the same thing but way cheaper and easyer to find.

Default Knife Purchase

Recently I purchased a knife from Maxam. I haven't gotten it yet, so I'm still waiting for it. Here's the knife:
    http://www.ckbproducts.com/product_i...oducts_id/1327
    Great website btw.

Anywho, I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were. Good knife? Bad knife?

While we're on the subject, I also would like to know what you all look for in a good knife.

Cool Knives etc...

Ya'll might think I'm a little weird but I like knives. I wear a 40 year old CASE 223-5 Belt knife on my belt, a SAK in my right pocket, a Buck lock-back Folder, in my BOB and a few other jack knives and other lock-backs in some of my other bags (day pak, BikeBag, FannyPak etc.) You can NEVER have too many sharp blades. I use an ignition file and a small case hardened, open end wrench, as my sharpener and steel, to keep ALL my blades shaving sharp!

I've also got one of the small Leatherman, multi-tools which is pretty handy at times too. It of course is worn on my ever present belt.

lb

I think the best survival knife is a fixed blade, about 4 1/2". If you're in a survival situation, you don't need a philips screwdriver and a pair of scissors...you need a blade that will handle all you can throw at it. I really like the Swiss Mora knives. They are super durable, keep a great edge, and are cheap. #1 survival knife, in my humble opinion!

The one you are looking at looks nice, but not a tactical survival knife, i collect knives of all kinds, prices, and sorts. It looks like a sweet show knife but a little too showing for very practical purposes, if you want agood longer practical knife then I'd go with one from SOG, or www.approvedgasmask.com makes extremely tougha nd practical knives, well worth the price, hope this helps.

I am sold on the Knives of Alaska brand knives. I don't think you could wear one of these knives out. They keep an edge better than any knife that I have ever owned. They are also the knife of choice for the United States Air Force. There pilots go through alot of survival training and this is the brand they carry. bear

ontario cutlery, makes a good knife, i have kabar and okc3 they are like $50-100 depending on model, but they are still sharp and havent broken,
    buck and gerber make bad knives ive broken the tips off many and snapped more than one on half, if u need an all around great heavy duty knife but a kabar,

I will agree about Gerber knives but for Buck, I have to respectfully disagree. I use knives, a lot, and very hard, I few months ago I bought a folding tactical knife from Buck, half straight, half serrated edge. I work ina greenhouse, and use it for everything, the thing that impressed me the msot, was, any one who knows knives should agree with this, but if you use a knife with dirt, mud, sand, it will dull extremly fast, but I has happily surprised after a little over 8 months of using this particular knife I stil haven't sharpened it, it is very strong, very sharp, adn hte serrated edge can cut virutally anything, for me it has worked on, plastic, wood, thick papers, harness straps, cloth, rubber, hardened plastic (nalgene bottle type plastic), an dI had to use it ona copper pipe once nd it did the trick nicely. I have several Buck's and they haven't failed me yet, but I defidnalty recommend the one I have, I'll try to put up model soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper14 View Post
    I think the best survival knife is a fixed blade, about 4 1/2". If you're in a survival situation, you don't need a philips screwdriver and a pair of scissors...you need a blade that will handle all you can throw at it.
    Very good point. I agree with you.

Default Hmmm... I can't be objective with this...

I'm Scandinavian so I think I'm bias when it comes to knives! I have tired all type of knives in my life and can honestly say the Scadis are the best for me! They are made by people who use knives in extreme environment and know how dangerous it could be to have a lousy tool with you. "Puukko" knives are simple, practical and can even take abuse. I also like the sheaths they come with. The sheath holds almost the whole knife and it's light to carry.

Good information about those can be found here...

Finnish Puukko Knives

Blog Entries

Knives are basically up to pers. preference. Some like them fancy, some like them bowie style and then there are the military styles.

I've gone through the phases like most. The big bowie was very attractive but just heavy and really a pain to use. Never been much on the fancy knives and most military styles are for killing rather than survival.

In the USMC many Marines I was with carried the Gerber dagger style, awsome knife but in the jungle it was worthless. Then there were the officers who carried the larger bowies, showoffs. I stuck to the good ol Kabar MKII. The knife blade was packerized and was a bit more flexible than the standard black finished brittle blades.

Nowdays I always carry a Gerber folder with the serrated about 2" back of the blade folder. Nice grip, on the belt will usually find the new model Kabar. Unless I'm doing a period trek then it's this old Union cutlery folder and a slightly larger steak knife made from an old file.

Either way, there is always a large palm piece of flint and a small hooked piece of flint that works much better than knives for skinning game.

Just my buck two fifty.

Talking knives

all the info i have got from all of you has helped alot so i know you guys can help i'm thinking about buying a new knife any suggestions on what to avoid or get
    Last edited by WildGoth; 05-14-2007 at 09:43 PM.

What are you going to use it for? if survival then get a good reliable blade maybe with a saw on the back GET CARBON STEEL preferably with full tang. cold steel is a good company http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blades-bushman.html VERY GOOD BLADE HERE <-- iwould recommend it if you dont have anything else you were already going to get.
    sanity is for the weak

it was a good site but not many choices in the way of survival knifes

sanity is for the weak

i actully have that website bookmarked lol and i found a good knife it is a buck my dad still has his he got it in the navy he has had it for 15 years i went with your suggestion wolf and got a saw on the blade

Quote Originally Posted by thinkfree3 View Post
    just a good pocketknife would work. Serrated blade is better for survial in my opinion because it last longer before getting dull.
    I carry a an old Spyderco Delica in my back pocket because of this, even when the points are dull it will cut or saw it's way through. you just have to get a triangle stone or a Spyderco sharpener to keep it sharp.

[LarryB "Ya'll might think I'm a little weird but I like knives"]

I know what you mean, besides my spyderco I carry and old Craftsman stockman and a Gerber Sportsman multipliar on my belt.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin