Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HiPoint? Dare I ask?

Blog Entries

The ARs of then and now have changed drastically, they are way better than the originals and I have never had one problem with my AR, the Colt Commando I carry on duty, or any of the other clones of the M16 I have fired and used, neither has any officer I know of, and I carried one for 8 1/2 years in the Army and had no problems, carried one a while back as a contractor and had no problems. Could always be operator error... I'm just saying.
    Yeah the H&K are great, but then you get what you pay for.

"Now about thugs and their guns. Pure steriotype hype. You have fallen for the Saturday Night Special anti-gun mind set." No I'm a Deputy Sheriff in Cincinnati Ohio and watch the news too, only people carrying those are thugs dope boys, its done everywhere. The Hi Point is unreliable, untrustworthy, and a disposable weapon that shoots less than acceptable by everyone I know.

"There are no good guns and bad guns. Only better quality and lesser quality. Lesser quality has a place in protecting persons that can not spend $500 for a Glock and still put groceries on their tables." There are crap made guns and good made guns, Hi Point makes crap weapons, now bear in mind this is my opinion and the opinion of the guys I shoot with, but to protect my family I would buy a shotgun instead of a crap handgun and SAVE for a better gun.

"Bonnie and Clyde carried some quality hardware. BAR, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers, Browning shotguns." (Okay so what's the point)
    So did Dillenger and Capone. No greater white trash thugs ever lived. (No such animal as a "great white trash, trash is trash and ya can't polish crap its still crap, and the thugs of then are different from the thugs of today.)

Anyway it was just my opinion, just as you have yours, I will say I have a Kel-Tec PLR16 and it is actually a great lil weapon. The PLR-16 is a gas operated, semi-automatic pistol chambered in 5.56 mm NATO caliber. It is intended to be the ideal Silhouette shooting and hunting pistol. The rifling is 1 turn in 9 inches, right hand twist. The PLR-16 has a conventional, long-stroke gas-piston operation and utilizes the proven Johnson/Stoner breech locking system. The rear sight is adjustable for windage. The front sight is similar to an AR-15 style rifle, and adjustable for elevation. An integrated MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail will accept a multitude of standard accessories.
    The muzzle is threaded 1/2-28 TPI to accept standard attachments such as a muzzle brake or flash hider. Except for the barrel, bolt, sights, and mechanism, the PLR-16 pistol is made entirely of high-impact glass fiber reinforced polymer.
    The accessories available for the PLR-16 include forend with Picatinny rail on the bottom, scope rings, dynamic deflecting operating handle, single point sling, and a muzzle brake specifically design for the 9.2" barrel of the PLR-16.
    The Stats are:
    Calibers:
    .223rem
    Weight unloaded:
    3.2lbs
    Length:
    18.5"
    Barrel length:
    9.2"
    Twist:
    1:9"
    Capacity:
    10, or M-16 compatible
    Trigger pull:
    5.5-7.5lbs
    Sight radius:
    12.5"
    Muzzle velocity:
    2600fps

Now keep in mind this is all opinion...
    Beo,
    Last edited by Beo; 08-09-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Did you understand me when I said I had good guns for CCW and home defense?

This gun is a plinker. It will be used just like any .22 one would shoot at tin cans or paper.

Operator error? Why don't you just go ahead and call me an idiot? That was not even very veiled.

I understand that you have a difficult job over there across the river. That is why I seldom go over there. I would not want to leave you a mess to clean up.

Have you considered that your environment might have left you a bit jaded. You are definately showing signs of the "us LE against the civilian world" and "anything without a badge is a potential threat" syndrome. Thugs also own cars, drink beer and go to Bengals games. Have all those activities now become suspect? Are you dumping everyone that drives an Escilade in the same lump? How about everyone that drives an '88 Cutlass? You have students over at Cinn State University living on the same block as drug dealers. Is everyone on the block worthless?

Both of my sons are in very good adjustment programs the VA holds for PTSD. Being in the Army for so long you have access to those services. I was wondering why just two hitches when you obviously enjoyed the life. I would have stayed in till I retired but they caught me in the RIF after Viet Namn. They had a few thousand more Captains than they needed and sent me home.

Everyone can not afford what you have, everyone does not want what you have and everyone does not get to write off their purchases as a business expense.

I do not want an AR based anything. I just don't want one. I have no use for a 5.56 caliber pistol. Don't want one. I am very old school about my preferences. That is just me and my preferences.

I will therefore concede that everything you have is better than anything I have, thugs are bad and so are the inantimate objects they use, including their shoes and socks (do they wear socks?) and sheriffs deputies always know best.

I now remember why I always feel like I am returning to the promised land when I come back across the river.

Of course that is just my opinion.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-09-2010 at 10:21 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I want to thank you KYRATSHOOTER for the time and expense to give us a review of the pistol. It's been very enlightening.

I have a question to ask, Why if you already own well made firearms, would you want to spend the money on a questionable (quality/reliability) firearm? Wouldn't the money be better spent on ammo to use for practice with the quality firearms?
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    I have a question to ask, Why if you already own well made firearms, would you want to spend the money on a questionable (quality/reliability) firearm? Wouldn't the money be better spent on ammo to use for practice with the quality firearms?

Please read the origional post. I explained that.

Money better spent on practice ammo? I reload. I don't need more ammo, I needed a cheap gun to shoot what I have.

Practice? After you have imprinted you muscle memory shooting thousands of rounds for 40 years practice takes a different form. You are simply checking to see if your reflexes remember what you taught them years ago. A couple of magazines or cylinders full will do that.

I make it to the range a couple of times each week, but most of that time is working on experimental projects. This 9mm is one of those projects.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Seems that someone needed to do it, rather than have a bunch of "well, my BIL"...or "I heard......" or "I saw it on the interweb'.......

KS just did us all a favor, at his expense, with an honest opinion, and I for one, appreciate.

I have played around with Jennings and a few other brands, because they were "a good deal at the time" or got in trade....most are no longer around.

Gotta say the little $69 buck Jennings .22 shoots very well, and I do drag it out from time to time.

Now that we have several opinions, I just say , "Thanks again KS".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Please read the origional post. I explained that.

Money better spent on practice ammo? I reload. I don't need more ammo, I needed a cheap gun to shoot what I have.

Practice? After you have imprinted you muscle memory shooting thousands of rounds for 40 years practice takes a different form. You are simply checking to see if your reflexes remember what you taught them years ago. A couple of magazines or cylinders full will do that.

I make it to the range a couple of times each week, but most of that time is working on experimental projects. This 9mm is one of those projects.
    Hey! I'm not here to get in a pissing contest with you!!!! But fine! As I too reload (for at least 25 different calibers) . More componets! You can never have enough primers!
    So are you telling me that you don't enjoy shooting? For me it is zenning out, getting in the zone so nothing else matters. Very relaxing!
    I can understand and get behind experimental projects as I also "wildcat".
    My 2 present projects are puting a 10-22 into a P-90 style stock and second converting a 30 carbine reciever to either 9mm or 9mmMag. I already have a 9mmMag chamber reamer. and the 9mmMag can use the same magazines as the 30 carbine.
    It's just that most of us prefer quality firearms even for our plinkers. I have an old Polish Radom that is unlocked breach and recoil operated, I think I paid about $150 for it some years back. It's historical and fun to shoot but it sure isn't my first pick for a fun pistol.
    I know what hunts you.

I think I enjoy shooting more now than I have since I was a kid!

I just had eye surgery last winter and I can see open sights for the first time in 20 years. I am shooting some of my old guns I had abandoned to the back of the safe. I am also shooting my cartridge guns more than I have an 2 decades.

My concentration for the past twenty years has been building black powder rifles. They are slow to shoot so you take a different attitude about the volume of shots being sent down range. Working right is more important than working a lot, in that context. A good black powder session may only be 10-15 shots for a whole afternoon.

Same with my rifle shooting. If you are doing cold barrel shots you may be waiting 20 minutes between rounds. Five or six shots may take two hours but you know exactly where that first cold bore shot is going.

It is very much like music. You spend a lot of time learning to play, learning music fundamentals and the mechanics of your instrument. After a while you can simply sit down and play. If something is not right you know it instantly, and correct it on the spot.

Yes, back in the day I bought good guns at low prices. I still have some of them. One of my S&W revolvers I bought surplus for $125. Last value I saw on it was $1,200. Another S&W I still shoot regularily I bought for $70. Current book on it is $500+. The Astra 600 w/matched mags and patten leather shoulder holster and Condor Legion markings I paid $80 for I sold two years ago for $2,500

Let me know when you find some more deals like that. I'll pay cash for a dozen 9mm Radoms at $150 each. I will also pay $150 cash for some of the Helwan Barettas and 9mm Torks I passed up in the early '90s when they were $99.95.

In this day we are talking about a mid-grade autopistol costing $400 used. That may be cheap by some folks standards, but not mine. I am a poor old retired school teacher. I just wanted something to play with.

I am a poor old retired school teacher. I just wanted something to play with.
    A gun toten school teacher! Now there is something we need more of!

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    A gun toten school teacher! Now there is something we need more of!
    I am not the only one. We just are not very loud. You have to fly under the radar when sourrounded by the hardcore of the American Comunist Party.

I remember one youg lady that started teaching right out of college. Idelistic, ehtheusiastic, very liberal, ready to save the world. We were working in an inner city hard core gang infested area.

Two weeks after school started she was in my classroom after school.

"They tell me you shoot guns?" she asked.

"Yes 'mam I do." I answered.

"Will you go with me and help me buy one this weekend?"

"Do you feel you need one?" I asked.

"Yes, I never knew what really mean people were until I started this job!"

That girl was one of the smart ones. Some never learn and always wonder why society will not give them enough money to make things right. All it would take is a little more of someone elses money and we could cure all these problems!

Some folk have war stories. I have war stories and teacher tales!

I taught College in a prison too. Don't get me started!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter
    I just had eye surgery last winter and I can see open sights for the first time in 20 years.
    I'll bet if Old Coot had eye surgery he'd find that Beretta.

(He's gonna be so mad at me but you have to admit....that's pretty funny).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I am not the only one. We just are not very loud. You have to fly under the radar when sourrounded by the hardcore of the American Comunist Party.

I remember one youg lady that started teaching right out of college. Idelistic, ehtheusiastic, very liberal, ready to save the world. We were working in an inner city hard core gang infested area.

Two weeks after school started she was in my classroom after school.

"They tell me you shoot guns?" she asked.

"Yes 'mam I do." I answered.

"Will you go with me and help me buy one this weekend?"

"Do you feel you need one?" I asked.

"Yes, I never knew what really mean people were until I started this job!"

That girl was one of the smart ones. Some never learn and always wonder why society will not give them enough money to make things right. All it would take is a little more of someone elses money and we could cure all these problems!

Some folk have war stories. I have war stories and teacher tales!

I taught College in a prison too. Don't get me started!
    I kind of taught school in prison too. You run and I'll shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'll bet if Old Coot had eye surgery he'd find that Beretta.

(He's gonna be so mad at me but you have to admit....that's pretty funny).
    Does Old Coot have a cat?

Every time I lose the remote and look for it I find it under the cat. She finds it and lays down on it then watches me look for it for hours at a time. When I realize what is happening she looks at me like, "Oh I didn't know that was there!"

Does Coot have chickens? Perhaps one of the hens found the Baretta and is trying the hatch a clutch of derringers.

I am one to talk, I just "found" a .22 rifle I had forgotten I owned for ten years or so. there is also the Crossman pel;let rifle i have been looking for since 1985.

I did a trigger job on the HiPoint this weekend. I sneeked into the range to test it this morning. (I think the president of the handgun silo club would have an anurism if he found out I was shooting the chickens with a HiPoint.) I cut the trigger pull in half and smoothed it a lot. It is still long and breaks mushey but it does not cut the circulation off in my trigger finger any more.

It also does not double, go full auto or fail to reset the sear. I have nearly 300 rounds through this gun now without a jam or misfire.

Blog Entries

KYRATSHOOTER,
    One: I didn't mean to upset you... I didn't mean you were an idiot in any way and if I came off like that I am sorry, that is a term they use in the military and law enforcement, not meant to be offensive. But I have seen great shooters have problems, not saying you have any either.
    Two: (Should've been first) Thank You for your service and Viietnem, don't know how I would have handled that at all. You paved the way for guys like me in the military. I got out (should've stayed in) because I was married and always gone, the 1st wife said get out or Im leaving you... I got out she cheated on me and we were done. Go figure.
    Three: I don't want everyone having what I have, that would suck and be boring, I know everyone can't afford everything I have, and I can't afford everything either he11 I don't have enough money that's why I gotta go PMC over to the Stan. Like Sarky said I just prefer better quality weapons even for plinking and have several projects too. Nothing wrong with buying what you want, I do it all the time.
    Four:.... ah nuts forget it. Look I was just saying there are better guns, I know you wanted a plinker and for the money those guns are good for plinking and more heck the 9mm and .40 aren't really all that bad of guns anyway and shoot fairly well. It was just an opinion and I think I came off sounding like I was degrading you... I wasn't and never would. But as a Deputy who sees a lot of violence in our city streets those are the guns we most often see because of the price.
    No everyone is not a thug, not even those wearing saggy pants... lol... it a style of dress a lot of younger people have. I usually don't deal with the good college students or regular citizens, by regular I mean non drug dealers, pimps, crackheads, gangbangers and the like.
    So "Have you considered that your environment might have left you a bit jaded. You are definately showing signs of the "us LE against the civilian world" (not at all, not even at work. I'm doing LE to help my fellow citizens, keep people safe from the bad things out there as best as I can as one good cop, and I feel rewarded by the people I help not the ones I arrest. I have done things like change a flat tire for someone and felt more rewarded to myself than I have taking a dealer off the streets.) and "anything without a badge is a potential threat" syndrome." No I am not, I know that most situations as a LEO can be handled by knowing how to talk to people with respect, be them a drug dealer, student, teenager, businessman, another cop, a wealthy person or celeberity, or an old woman who's cat's in a tree, but I assecss each situation as I come upon them. Anyone can need help, anyone can be a victim, and anyone can also be the one doing the wrong.
    Anyway I didn't mean to offend you, and I am sorry for that.
    Beo,
    Last edited by Beo; 08-19-2010 at 07:11 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I have never been a brand snob and have been known to own a few really crappy guns.
    Sounds like you need to stop wasting money, save up and buy a reliable firearm.
    BEND OVER - Here comes the "change"

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders." - Ted Nugent

Now: Michigan, Previously: Alaska, California, North Carolina, Mississippi

Default Direct response to the OP

Disclaimer: I didn't read all the replies to this thread because I'm too tired... So, my response is not intended to offend anyone or undermine anyone's experiences.

99% of those who discredit High Points have never even held one, much less shot one or owned one. I will be honest and forthright with you; I have never owned a High Point. However, I have fired a few hundred rounds through my boss's High Point 9mm. It has never failed. From el-cheapo Blazer to premium DoubleTap +P, not one failure. We take it with us when we go out halibut fishing. The halibut up here tend to be a bit easier to deal with when you put a round into their head. Makes it a lot easier to pull the big ones on the boat. His reason: if he dropped his S&W M&P .40 in the water, he'd beat himself to pieces. If he drops the High Point, oh, well.... It was only $150.

I've never seen that one fail. Yes, it's heavy. Yes, it's ugly. Yes, it's on the list of guns that most of us would overlook without a second thought. However, it is reliable and more accurate than most of the internet commandos out there that discredit it. Reliability is still one of the main attributes of a gun, right?

Personally, I like SigSauer and will likely stick with them. But you will be hard-pressed to find a more dependable handgun anywhere near the MSRP of a High Point.
    "They, the makers of the Constitution: conferred, as against the government, the right to be let alone - the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men. Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding."
    - Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis, 1928

Quote Originally Posted by xj2000 View Post
    Sounds like you need to stop wasting money, save up and buy a reliable firearm.
    Wow, people that jump in on post 30something and never read the first 29!

I have a 1911 sitting in front of me right now. Most of the "experts" recommend that you shoot a 1911 500 rounds and "break it in" before you trust it for defense. I have nearly that many rounds through the Hi-pointy right now without a bobble. Does that make it better than a 1911?

I am sure this pistol will eventually end up living in the Jeep with the single shot .22 as part of the vehicle kit. Same reason as the fisherman sited above. My 1911 is not going to live in the Jeep, and my 1917 S&W is not going to live in the Honda. (I live in KY it is legal to do that here) Nothing worth more then $200 is getting left in an unattended rig, but I still want a gun that I know will go boom.

Cheap guns are not necessarily BAD guns, and they are not necessarily unreliable guns. They are simply not expensive guns.

I am comming to see why there are no mid-range guns left in our choices. H&R and Iver Johnson type pistols that were no frills, excellent quality at a reasonable price. They were too expensive for poor folk and snubbed by the elite. We lost some great "truck guns" when they could no longer compete with the Bryco/Jennings/Davis conglomerate.

We used to call them out "tackle box guns". You did not brag about them, you did not show them off, you did not lavish time stroking them like a sex toy. They were like the dependable ugly girls you married after your 2nd divorce; they work hard, strive to please and don't let you down in a crunch.

I love this thread!

High Point humor.

A man in Chicago has a High Point. He parked his car at night in an unlite area of the parking lot of a stop and rob. He rolled down his car windows, leave the door unlocked and throws his high point on the dash. He leaves and come back early the next morning expecting to find the high point gone.
    But when he gets to his car he finds that there are 3 more High Points also tossed on his dash.

FWIW I have shot several High Points. Yes they go bang. Yes they would make a good truck gun that you could leave in the truck. It is gets stolen it not a big loss.

I saw several NIB at a gun show several months ago that i could have purchased for $115.00 each
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by jgcoastie View Post
    Disclaimer: I didn't read all the replies to this thread because I'm too tired... So, my response is not intended to offend anyone or undermine anyone's experiences.

99% of those who discredit High Points have never even held one, much less shot one or owned one. I will be honest and forthright with you; I have never owned a High Point. However, I have fired a few hundred rounds through my boss's High Point 9mm. It has never failed. From el-cheapo Blazer to premium DoubleTap +P, not one failure. We take it with us when we go out halibut fishing. The halibut up here tend to be a bit easier to deal with when you put a round into their head. Makes it a lot easier to pull the big ones on the boat. His reason: if he dropped his S&W M&P .40 in the water, he'd beat himself to pieces. If he drops the High Point, oh, well.... It was only $150.

I've never seen that one fail. Yes, it's heavy. Yes, it's ugly. Yes, it's on the list of guns that most of us would overlook without a second thought. However, it is reliable and more accurate than most of the internet commandos out there that discredit it. Reliability is still one of the main attributes of a gun, right?

Personally, I like SigSauer and will likely stick with them. But you will be hard-pressed to find a more dependable handgun anywhere near the MSRP of a High Point.
    I see this is an old thread but wanted to throw in my .02 cents worth , I own the C-9 pistol and just bought a new .45 cal. 4595ts carbine and I love them to death , they never have failed to go bang everytime I pull the trigger , i bought them for home defense seeing as how I have some crackheads next door who keep nibbing around my place and their friends mistakenly keep knocking on my door ?? I take these weapons plinking every weekend and am thinking about buying the 9mm carbine to save on some ammo ! Hi-Point has one of the BEST warranties and customer service in the business and i plan on being a customer for a long time ! When I can afford to run with the gun snob crowd I'll buy a more expensive weapon just so i can sit in on the meetings lol !!
    Have you thanked a Vet today ??

I am with Kyrat on this one. I also own a C9, but it is my hunting side arm. It is reliable and cost me $85 on gunbroker. I also own some more expensive hand guns that are too nice to drag through the woods for a week and risk exposing them to the elements. If I drop my C9 in the mud, I would rinse it off in the creek and call it good until I get home. The way I see things, is as long as it shoots it is not a waste of money.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE