Thread: I think I have a new favorite calibre for handguns

Banned

Default I think I have a new favorite calibre for handguns

I've been shooting since I was a kid. I love .45 ACP 1911 clones and I love .357 magnum revolvers. After having done 3 months of research and having seen some first hand results I can say I am adding .357 Sig so now I have 3 favorites.
    My friend from Kentucky shot a fairly large doe at 35 yards with his P226 in .357 Sig. He made a great shot and the doe drop after just 3 steps. From my experience that would mean a drop on the spot hit in a human being with similar shot placement.
    So it can make meat and defend the family in a neat, well made, easy to carry package. What's not to love? OH and they make 12 and 14 round magazines for them too and nothing better than not having to reload half as much. I wonder if they make Glaser Safety Slugs in .357 Sig? hmmmm I see a web search in my immediate future.

I actually looked at a "pre-owned" Sig in .357 sig.
    My eyes lite up as .357 are my most shot toys, and load a lot of them.
    I'm thinking .357 auto loader, that would be cool, hard to come by.

Then I realized it was the Sig mot the standard round.
    Ammo kinda pricey, (getting cheap, I guess as I cast the bullets for my reloads).

So I passed.

Looking it up seems that the ammo is a necked down .40 and most .40 cal autos can be converted by just changing the barrel and some times the recoil spring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_SIG

Anyway, cool round, but not on my short list.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-02-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned
    Blog Entries

Most all of the Glock's in .40 S&W and in theory most 9MM Glocks, you can buy a .357 Sig barrel and have both. I am going to get one for my G-24. The ammo is expensive.

A Glock .357 can also shoot .40, with a .40 barrel dropped in. However, my understanding is that a Glock .40 should not try to shoot .357, because the pressures are too great.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have always been amazed that the .38 Super was not more popular. It is probably due to the accuracy problems of headspacing on a rim.

The .357 sig is a continuation of the origional autopistol cartridges, more carbine like than pistol like; .30Luger, .30Mauser, .30 Burgman-Banyard and the Mars pistol. All creating hight preasures and high velocities. The Russians continued the trend throught he mid 20the century and switched to the 9x18 just when everyone else decided to jump in the bottleneck bandwagon.

It is the only thing less than .45 that really catches my attention.

Jim Clark did the same thing with the .45 case years ago, necking it down to .357 as the .38/45, and getting scorching results.

You just have to chase all those empties all over God's creation after you shoot them! I'm too old and have had too many back surgeries to enjoy that activity an more than necessary.

Now if I was starting out all over again I would be all over the .357s as my one and only autopistol, sided with a .357 revolver. One or two bullet molds, a single powder to keep in stock, one size primer.

If Keltec would make that nice folding carbine for that round it would be a dandy toy.

I will bet you money that the only difference between the Glock .40 and the .357sig is the recoil spring!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-03-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I also think the .357 Sig would make a great carbine round. Chamber it in an AR-15 upper,it would be a smokin' hot carbine. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Run a 40 SW through a .357Sig die and you have .357 Sig, simple as that. The neck will be just a hair short, but since it head spaces on the shoulder, no problems.
    I know what hunts you.

Banned

With any Sig Saur auto you can switch between .40 S&W and .357 Sig with just a field strip and change of barrel. The magazines work with both ammos.
    The Texas Rangers Love the .357 Sig.
    I wish I could join gunbroker.com; but I don't have a credit card so I can't join. I see great deals on two barrel sets on there. I also need to keep my eyes open around here. I young lady I know just got a .40 S&W Sig P229 for $450 and I looked it over and it is in new condition. It's had less than a box of ammo through it. I offered her a $100 profit but she really wanted the gun as she wanted a handgun of her own so she wouldn't have to depend on her boyfriend or father for their guns. Smart woman.

If you guys like the .357Sig, you will adore the 38Casull
    I know what hunts you.

If you like the .357 Sig, then you should into the 38 super.
    Ballistically the same but you get more rounds in the same frame.

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    If you like the .357 Sig, then you should into the 38 super.
    Ballistically the same but you get more rounds in the same frame.
    Don't you need a longer frame for the 38 Super?
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Don't you need a longer frame for the 38 Super?
    Sorry I was thinking about your .45.

I've heard that Glocks in .40 and.357SIG. have had kaboom problems. Now,that might be kept alive by 1911 lovers,I don't know. I do know, I'm looking real hard at a 10mm Glock. The load spectrum is wide enough, so you can load it for two or four footed BGs.Didn't mean to take this to a different place,just my op.
    Eating meat is murder.....tasty,tasty murder

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yes, they have been having some problems of late. There is a limit to what polymers can withstand.

Most of the blowups I have seen have been the frames turning lose.

It happens to almost everything, eventually, I am sure but I have a certainty of logic that plastic is not going to hold up to stress, heat and friction of handgun use like steel.

I am old school.

I do not even fully trust alloys. I own some, but I consider them special purpose limited use guns.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

There is indeed a limit to what polymers can stand and that limit is most usually far beyond what steel frames can take.
    I too am old school sir but the facts are the facts, there are plenty of examples but one need not look any farther than the Colt Delta pistols -VS- the Glock 20.
    Modern polymer frames are far superior to steel or alloys in terms of endurance and structural integrity though not rigidity. Given the "recoil absorbing" properties of polymer, the rigidity aspect does not apply. It is a reciprocating mechanism after all not a building foundation.
    This fact urks me a little bit, as I said, I too am old school, I would like to believe that steel and wood are the only way to go but truth and factual evidence...A lot of evidence, forces me to admit that which is unavoidable....Polymer frames ARE superior to steel frames where hard use is likely.