Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to skin(and cure) a snake?

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

Was that.. a 3 year necro?
    Anyways my family would absolutely blow a gasket if I brought home a snake, living or dead (I used to play with copperheads so both happened to be an occurrence).
    But now I see a lead on tanning the hides, and with an interest in it now I may go on a hunt for some eventually.
    though in service on this thread http://www.alabamaherps.com/snake%20bite.htm
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

WM is that one over the window a python? oh BTW since you wee in hawaii didyou ever eat
    morrey eel. i have had it grilled over kiawe wood oh my what a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    WM is that one over the window a python? oh BTW since you wee in hawaii didyou ever eat
    morrey eel. i have had it grilled over kiawe wood oh my what a treat.
    Red tail boa.

Not that I know of. Heard it tastes like garbage...but I do like eel. Not sure what kind i've had but none while in Hawaii.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

sun dried Tako or octopus grillede is really good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Hope you ate! They are the bomb on the grill! What other meat turns itself?
    I've never had rattlesnake, but I know a small restaurant in Philadelphia, PA that makes the finest (and only) alligator gumbo that I've ever had!

You have some nice skins there WM. Ordinary bark tannins seem to work for me, if you don't mind them getting a light brown tone. I also like using pieces of snake skins on my self bows, for decoration.

I don't tan my snake skins since all I use them for are sheath inlays. I tack them to a board and cover them with borax.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    As long as your digestive system is not damaged already. Snake venom is harmless when swallowed. So, eating a snake that has been bitten by another snake is not a worry.
    Thank you for this! My son killed a rattlesnake day before yesterday and has his mind set to eat it, I was a little worried about the venom if maybe he made a mistake dressing it.

If he likes it I guess he'll have and endless buffet out here, it's been a snakey spring!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I don't tan my snake skins since all I use them for are sheath inlays. I tack them to a board and cover them with borax.
    That's interesting, dos the Borax cure, tan, stabilise ? How does it work to stop the skin degrading?

I use Aluminium Sulphate a lot, but I'm switching to vegetaqble tannins from now on, cause I'm sick of my primitive gear being left out in the rain during courses etc, then slowly falling apart. Allum is fine for indoor stuff. I'm also going to smoke my stuff too, to help with the waterproofing. I just put a kangaroo tail, and 3 goat skins in a barrel of Acacia Tan, just 10 mins ago. I've made a weak solution for now, cause I don't want the skins to case harden, and be ruined.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Acacia bark, Kanga Tail and goat skin

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Pouring hot water over the bark to soften it up quicker.

I don't know the "science" behind using borax. My experience using it has been limited to snake skins and gator hides. You do not end up with a soft, supple skin as you would from tanning. The snake skins hold up very well (remember - I'm gluing them to a leather backing) as do the gator hides. When I use the gator I have to soak it in water for several hours so that I can flatten it for my uses. Have never had a problem with the process.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel