Thread: Bugging Home

Banned

Question Bugging Home

well, I am going to be bugging back to my home town in Southern California , Moved by sept 1, i lived there for over 20 years before moving to Arizona, anyway, I got to thinking about a home survival kit, earthquake would be the most likely event to warrant the need there, I am trying to think of all the things found in a normal home that could be used for different things in the event of an emergency, I am talking about subs, Like I could use bed linen for bandages,,,, Things like that, I am VERY limited on funds but i would feel better knowing what resources are available, Food should be ok w/ normal canned food on hand, I think an event such as an earthquake could result in a bug in of up to 3 weeks max,

1. bed sheets = Bandages

2. water Heater = Water

3. BBq = Stove

Any Ideas ?

We've touched on this from time to time but I don't remember a thread specifically on this so this should be good.

I'd suggest you go room to room once you get moved in and make a list of the things you know you can multi-use in a bad situation. Not know what amenities your new home will have somewhat limits our suggestions.

Bathroom:

Shower curtain can be emergency shelter or ground cover. If the curtain is on a rod you can use that as an impromptu walking stick or as a "rafter" for your shelter. Towels and wash cloths become bandages, compresses, slings, etc. Soap can used for cleaning wounds as well as hygiene. Tub can be used to hold drinking water.

Bedroom:

Pillow cases become bags. Tie one on each end of the shower rod for a tote if you have to travel long distance. You can use the sheets for a capote (think Arab wear) or medical needs.

That should give you a few ideas to start on.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Trash bags multipal uses

if you have mini blinds the cord from them for many uses

if you have large drapery they make good emergency cloths/storage bag if you lace it with the string from the mini blinds/etc.etc.

Bleach from your laundry room, disinfectant as well as water treatment.

If I think of anything else ill post em.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

shower curtail can also be used for your water catch.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post

3. BBq = Stove

Any Ideas ?
    I read this thread a few times but only picked up on this now..If you mean BBQ=heat be very careful and vent it well! They put out lots of carbon monoxide and dragging one inside to heat a home has killed plenty of people during power outages.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    I read this thread a few times but only picked up on this now..If you mean BBQ=heat be very careful and vent it well! They put out lots of carbon monoxide and dragging one inside to heat a home has killed plenty of people during power outages.
    No, I meant for cooking outside ,, Thanks for the replies everybody,

Here's a post I did in this thread that might give you a few ideas. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ss+on+a+budget

OK – Here’s the approach I took on this one. I went to Walmart. Most of the items are in the camping/sporting goods area. The first aid kit came from the pharmacy area. Now admittedly this is not the best kit you can put together. I wanted to see if you could put together “something” to help you in a pinch within the parameter of spending $100. Right now I am fortunate enough to be in a position that if I needed $100 worth of gear I could go out and buy it. It has not always been that way in my life though. So, after I priced everything at Walmart I decided to see where I could save even more money, or improve the quality of some of the items.

Ozark Trail Hooded Poncho $0.88
    Portable Aqua Plus $5.88
    Hatchet $7.88
    Water Resistant Stuff Bag $3.96
    Laker – 75 Piece Hook/Swivel/Sinker Kit $1.76
    OmniFlex 12lb Fishing Line (980 ft) $2.50
    Coleman King Size 20* Sleeping Bag $21.88
    Winchester Woody Fine Fixed Blade $14.88
    Duck (yes Duck) Tape – 10 yards $1.00
    Husky .7 Mil 9X12 Drop Cloth $1.38
    Ozark Trail 6X8 All Purpose Tarp $4.68
    2 Pack 7 ounce Sterno $3.86
    18 oz Enamel Cup $2.88
    Bic Lighter $1.00
    Ozark Magnesium/Flint Bar $6.88
    Ozark Light Sticks (2 Pack) $2.00
    Ozark Compass/Whistle/Magnifier/Thermometer Combo $3.88
    2 Pack Emergency Candles $2.28
    Ray-O-Vac LED Key Chain $2.00
    Ray-O-Vac Value Bright Flashlight (2- AA) $1.00
    Cliff Bar Oatmeal Raisin Walnut (2) $1.96
    First Aid Kit $5.64
    30 adhesive bandages 3/8 X 1-1/2
    20 adhesive bandages ¾ X 3
    5 butterfly closures
    10 cotton swabs
    4 finger splints
    4 sterile gauze pads 2 X 2
    2 sterile gauze pads 4 X 4
    1 roll adhesive tape ½ X 2.5 yards
    2 exam gloves
    1 instant cold compress
    2 antibiotic ointment packets
    12 alcohol prep pads
    1 instructions

Total Cost $100.06

First item – emergency poncho. If you have nothing else, they will work about as well as a large (yard) trash bag. Replace poncho with a couple of trash bags that you have around. Savings .88

Aqua – well I suppose boiling and filtering the water could save a few bucks if needed. Throw some coffee filters or an old t-shirt for removing the big chunks before boiling. Savings - $5.88

Hatchet. Might be able to find one cheaper at a garage sale. Do I really need it. I know I want it. How about fashioning a chopper out of an old lawn mower blade? Savings - $7.88

Water resistant stuff bag – The purpose of this was to hold all of the “stuff” look around the house. There is probably something that can be used. An old pack, a suitcase, plastic tote. Replace the bag with something on hand. Savings $3.96.

The fishing gear. There are a lot of fishermen (and women) out there. I’ve got a small tackle box with those items in it. Around where I live a lot of fishing takes place from the bridges and jetties. Gear is getting snagged all the time. You can’t walk on the shore near one of those structures and not find any gear. Replace fishing gear with items on hand. Savings - $4.26.

The sleeping bag – Look in your closets. Got any extra blankets, quilts or comforters. Depending on your climate these can substitute. Savings - $21.88

Knife -look around the house. Got any kitchen or utility knives that aren’t being used? Check yard sales you may be able to find pretty good quality at a big savings. There are several threads on here about making your own from old files or scrap metal. Try it. Savings - $14.88.

Duck Tape (it really is Duck brand) – Got any extra laying around in the garage? If you do – Savings - $1.00

Painters tarp – replace with several more lawn bags. Savings - $1.38

The tarp – check around the garage, I’ll bet you have one already Replace with one on hand. Savings $4.68

2 pack of Sterno – Read the threads on pepsi can stoves – make one (they are really easy to make). Now take a look in your medicine chest. Grab that bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Grab a coat hanger (wire) to make a pot stand. Replace Sterno – Savings - $3.86

Enamel coated cups are good to boil water or cook food. Look in the kitchen cabinets. I’m sure there is a pot or two that aren’t being used. A used coffee can with a wire handle makes a great billy can. A small veggie can (use one without the plastic liner) makes a serviceable cup. Replace cup with items on hand. Savings - $2.88.

Bic Lighter – if you don’t have one laying around the house – head out to the smoking area at work and ask for one. Another option – walk into your local watering hole – they always have books of matches in bowls. Grab a handful. I don’t particularly care for them, but better than nothing. Savings - $1.00.

mag bar – Is there any natural flint in your area? Some natural fling, a steel bar (you can always find some scrap) and a bit of char cloth. Savings - $6.88.

Whistle/compass/magnifier combo – you may be able to find something cheaper – I’ll keep this for now.

Emergency candles – rummage through those kitchen drawers or go to a local restaurant that has those glass bowls with a candle in them (you know the ones – they’re usually red with plastic netting. Talk to the manager – ask for the ones that they are getting ready to toss, take em home and melt the wax to make your own. Either way – Savings $2.88.

The two lights – pretty good price on those, but…….is there a job fair or trade show in town? The vendors love to attract people by giving away free things. One popular give away is LED lights. Grab a handful. I went to the Jaguars / Colts game tonight (Jags lost) they gave away flashing light sticks that would certainly draw more attention than the chem. Lights. I’ll bet if you look around the house you’ll find an extra light someplace. Use it. Savings - $3.00.

Cliff bars – grab anything in the kitchen that will keep. Peanut butter, sardines, Raman noodles, crackers, cereal, pop tarts. Savings - $1.96.

The first aid kit – most households have some basic first aid supplies on hand. It’ll probably surprise you what you find in the back of the medicine chest. Savings - $5.64.

OK – If I were to find replacements for everything I listed, I would be down to $3.88 because I kept my cheap whistle and compass. You may only replace a few items. I’m missing some useful gear with my list. No cordage other than the fishing line. Maybe there’s some around the house that I can use. No signal mirror – grab an old CD. My intention with the exercise wasn’t to make a complete – “I’m going into the woods for a year kit”, but rather illustrate that we can put together some items that will help us out in a jam, and do it on a budget. With what you save by using items that are already at your disposal you will have the extra $$$ to purchase the items that are not.

Good thread Remy – thanks for starting it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If anything did happen, at least you'd be somewhere with more moderate temperatures all around and in an area you are familiar with. Remember too, that in case of an earthquake you might have to dig yourself out from the rubble and bug out. I'd start going to flea markets and yard sales to pick up stuff that could be useful supplements to what you already have.

Banned

@ Crash,, Thats a Great List ! Thanks (scratch that,Its an EXCELLENT list !)

@ B, Very true, I will be less than 50 miles East of the San Andreas Fault, Many Believe when the "Big One" Happens, Everything West of that Fault will dissolve into the Ocean, (I May need a Boat )
    Last edited by Justin Case; 08-02-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Or you'll have ocean front property. Woo Hoo!! You might stop at Goodwill or some other thrift store and see what you can pick up there. I've seen some really good stuff go for a song. For example, I've picked up several Griswold skillets of different sizes for just a few bucks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Or you'll have ocean front property. Woo Hoo!! You might stop at Goodwill or some other thrift store and see what you can pick up there. I've seen some really good stuff go for a song. For example, I've picked up several Griswold skillets of different sizes for just a few bucks.
    ...which you can also use to hit someone upside the head.

Poor Mr. B. Poor, poor, pitiful Mr. B.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Poor Mr. B. Poor, poor, pitiful Mr. B.
    Mr. B is the luckiest man alive--in fact he tells that to anyone who'll listen. Frankly, it's embarrassing at times.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Mr. B is the luckiest man alive--in fact he tells that to anyone who'll listen. Frankly, it's embarrassing at times.

Lets see, you have a couple cast iron skillets to knock someone upside the head. Does he only say this when you are around or are in ear shot? Well, he is smart, I'll give him that.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case
    well, I am going to be bugging back to my home town in Southern California , Moved by sept 1, i lived there for over 20 years before moving to Arizona
    You are going the wrong way. Stay away from Cali....
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Lets see, you have a couple cast iron skillets to knock someone upside the head. Does he only say this when you are around or are in ear shot? Well, he is smart, I'll give him that.
    No, no, this all turned out wrong. (Thanks, Rick!) Let me clear it up:
    First, JC was asking about multi use items that could be found in the home or picked up cheap.
    Then, Rick said how he picked up several Griswold skillets of different sizes for just a few bucks at a Goodwill store.
    I merely suggested that those skillets could have an alternate use--not that I used them for that purpose. So far.

There was a post some time back from someone traveling for work, and looked through the hotel with a similar perspective.

For the life of me I cannot remember the thread it was in, but I do remember that the ideas he came up with on how to use things there were good.

I did a search on 'hotel' but so many threads came up, I did not have time to find it since I have to get back to work.

Anyone remember who posted it or where it was?

Good thread, Justin...

Quote Originally Posted by smhg View Post
    There was a post some time back from someone traveling for work, and looked through the hotel with a similar perspective.

For the life of me I cannot remember the thread it was in, but I do remember that the ideas he came up with on how to use things there were good.

I did a search on 'hotel' but so many threads came up, I did not have time to find it since I have to get back to work.

Anyone remember who posted it or where it was?

Good thread, Justin...
    I think it was Rick who posted it will try and find that thread
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Here's one thread by crash,will do some more checking later

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ht=hotel+items
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)