Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evaluating Kukris.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Nice job on the handle! How can you tell what the steel might be on the model that I posted?
    As I said - probably. Because that is typically the material used in that style Kukri.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I kinda picked up your slack there buddy

But to get back on track, the three I am looking at are , 1. the cold steel, 2. the ka-bar, 3. the ontario. for the price im leaning towards the cold steel. but as I mentioned before the handle feels uncomfortable in my hand just not beefy enough for me.
    However after Crash posted about the wooden handled models ( btw who made them Crash?) I may check into something like that because the handle looks a lot bigger.
    While trying to find the Ontario model I found a negative review on it. If I locate it I'll post it. I think Crash is right about that being the same one he has, the notches cut into the blade right below where the handle ends & the blade begins are identical. Probably some sort of trademark.(?)
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Here ya go...

I found the eval, use your own judgement, it's the 3rd one down.

http://www.knifeonthewater.com/ontario.htm
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I found the eval, use your own judgement, it's the 3rd one down.

http://www.knifeonthewater.com/ontario.htm
    Thanks for the link, just makes me lean a little further towards the cold steel.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

However after Crash posted about the wooden handled models ( btw who made them Crash?) I may check into something like that because the handle looks a lot bigger.
    Probably some guy named Mujabar. They were both made in Pakistan. BTW $20 with a bit of haggling at a gun show. That was each, at two different gun shows.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I ran across this the other day , but have no idea who made the blank.http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...0&SKU=BLFH612X
    I was VERY close to buying this as well. But something just told me not to and I removed it from my cart. Thought it might have been so cheap because of it being a factory second?
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    I was VERY close to buying this as well. But something just told me not to and I removed it from my cart. Thought it might have been so cheap because of it being a factory second?
    It says "Cosmetic imperfection" , I guess that could mean anything from discolored to broken ?

Quote Originally Posted by Justing
    Cosmetic imperfection
    I've seen some women like that. And before you ladies get all hoytie toytie on me, more than one woman has gazed at me with that thought in mind. So there!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

I see Rick's off the decaf! Anyway, looking at the photos of the Kukris I couldn't help noticing that the models made by Cold Steel & Kabar are a bit different than the "original" Gurkha design.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Decaf? Patooooey!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've seen some women like that. And before you ladies get all hoytie toytie on me, more than one woman has gazed at me with that thought in mind. So there!
    Are you sure it wasn't at your pockets where you've got all those $100 bills sticking out?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yo, Sarge, will let you know about the Cold Steel Magnum Kukri Machete.
    I just ordered one, should be here shortly.

I was also reading Sgt. Draino's Sgt. thread, and although I'm not to much of a machete guy, thought I would give it a try.

I have a GI style machete/sheath cia 1968 about 18". Made in USA
    I have used it, found it kinda long, and if makes any sense, kinda light for heavy chopping on brush.

Anyway, as I was ordering a Cold Steel Tanto style blade anyway (yeah, I know, not everyone's favorite), though I would throw this machete and a neck knife in, as well.
    Shipping was about the same for all three.
    Order form Kennesaw showed up to day, so I'm gonna be playing with the Cold Steel Magnum Kukri Machete, soon, may be do the mods as well.
    Made in South Africa, not China?? Is that good or bad??
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I also have a K-bar and love it. I have ruined 2, yes 2 of the crappy sheaths though. Recently I used it on a demo project and accidentally hacked right through 3 16 penny nails without noticing until after I picked up the wood. only damage to the blade was a little scratching of the black coating. this thing is pretty tough.
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Order form Kennesaw showed up to day, so I'm gonna be playing with the Cold Steel Magnum Kukri Machete, soon, may be do the mods as well.
    Made in South Africa, not China?? Is that good or bad??
    Actually, probably quite good.

As a old guy who remembers when Cold Steel sold knives and not hype (yeah, all of one tanto, a couple skeleton handled skinners, and a push dagger or two), I purchased and USED some very good CS blades during the late 70's/early 80's....

Fast forward 30+ years; for the $$$, I have yet to damage or destroy their South African made kukri machete with the cheap molded grip.

Handle checkering on a handle (any handle) is not your friend unless you were smart enough to pack a good pair of leather gloves BUT this inexpensive design holds its own.

The handle can easily be modified with a lighter or small torch to "flatten" or "melt" the painful checkering. The factory sheath is horribly flimsy but the blade itself can take a lot of abuse and still remain quite sturdy and sharp.

All in all, maybe the best $ 20-25 short kukri machete on the market.

Blog Entries

Cool Got it!!! It's here!!!!

The big brown truck came yesterday & delivered my brand spankin' new Ka-Bar Kukri Machete! Wow! What a "moose" of a blade. This is one good lookin' blade, I mean to tell ya!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

The big brown truck came yesterday & delivered my brand spankin' new Ka-Bar Kukri Machete! Wow! What a "moose" of a blade. This is one good lookin' blade, I mean to tell ya!
    You WON'T be disappointed. I've had three CS machete's (1 latin and 2 bolo) and none of them have stood up to anything like the Ka-Bar has and it's still going strong!
    ~Rocky Balboa

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sarge, How thick is the blade.......????

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Sarge, How thick is the blade.......????
    I don't have mine on me, but I think it's about 3/16."
    ~Rocky Balboa

Did a little seach and I found this info on another site:

The spine at the handle is 4.5mm and where it thins out towards the tip its a hair over 2mm. The top forward is a false edge and the center of the entire blade is 4.5mm.
    ~Rocky Balboa

Blog Entries

Cool Also....

Here's the Amazon page I ordered mine from. It was the lowest price I could find.

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Machete...sr=1-1-catcorr

Check out the product reviews!
    Last edited by Sarge47; 09-16-2010 at 10:57 PM.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin