Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We've Gotta' Sleep Sometime

Blog Entries

Default We've Gotta' Sleep Sometime

Most of us are probably prepared to act and/or move quickly if the need arises. BOBs are all packed, fire extinguisher or firearm (as the case may be) is close by, full tank of gas just in case we've gotta' get out of Dodge........

We have stuff stored elsewhere (at relatives and friends homes). We have family plans, extended family plans, and family and friend plans, bug out locations, mapped escape routes and alternate escape routes. We have redundant and/or alternative plans, preps, methods, equipment, and supplies times 10. We've made every reasonable (and maybe beyond reasonable ) preparation for any contingency we can plan for.

AND THEN we talk about "situational awareness" and how important it is to maintain that at all times.

Did you read that thread posted today about the bear killing one and injuring 2 near Yellowstone?

Thing is, we all have to sleep sometime, be it at home or elsewhere.

What have you done to give yourself the best chance of survival if a threat arises WHEN YOU ARE ASLEEP? Do you try to give yourself an edge on things? Increase them odds a bit?

Me?

INDOORS

1. Every door to the house is double locked. Basement windows, too.

2. We have a pretty good alarm system and between 2 and 4 dogs in the house at all times.

3.Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in virtually every room (including the garage) and on every level of the house.

4. Power failure and high water alarms.

5. Shotgun and pistol within MY reach at all times.

6. A weather alert/emergency warning radio in the master bedroom and living room. Second radio system that tones out when the full time fire department pages the off-duty guys or tones out the volunteers at "Station 2."

7. Infrared AND motion detector outdoor floodlights.

8. Emergency interior lighting that turns on in the event of power failure.

9. Landline, cell phone, and multiple radio communications systems to summon help if needed.

10. At least one vehicle outdoors and AWAY from the garage at all times.

AUTO

1. CompuStar 2WSSR security system with messaging remote - 1/2 mile range. Loads of other electronics/commo gear on board.

2. Firearm within reach.

3. Full load complete car emergency kit in trunk/rear or every vehicle.

4. 2 cell phones.

5. Vehicle escape tool/seatbelt cutter.

HOTELS

1. Portable door alarm.

2. Use all door locks.

3. Pre-check of all escape routes/stairways.

4. Preference for lower floors in most cases (often sucks trading the view for escape advantages ).

CAMPING/BACKPACKING

1. I've been known to use these.
    http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__24/Perimeter_Alarm_Systems___Acce/perimeter_alarm_systems___acce.html

2. Got some bear spray around here someplace. Haven't been up north in a coupla' years.

TRAVEL

The only reason that I'm reluctant to travel is that I have pretty much everything planned EXCEPT that I can't CCW outside of Mass or R.I.

So, anyone care to tell us what you've done or offer anymore suggestions?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Pretty good list there,
    Just to high light a few points:

Fire extinguishers in bed rooms, shops, vehicles.
    Plenty of dogs.... for a lot of reasons.
    Full fuel tanks.
    Assets deployed, Redundent systems on all assets.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My daughter has a friend with a kid that looks exactly like that...all the time!!! The little cretin will sneak up behind you, too if you aren't careful. It's like he's trying to read your thoughts. He's a reeeeeeeaaally spooky kid.

I don't know. I have a lot of that stuff but don't go to quite that much trouble. I think the key to the whole thing is make yourself and your home LESS attractive than your neighbors'. That might sound cold but it's the truth. I have the motion spots and security lighting thingie, too. Security alarms and dog and whatever.

The bottom line is whatever you have USE IT. Lock your doors and windows. Really. I mean it. Lock them. I'll bet if you checked right now you'd find at least one window in your house that is not locked and someone could come in through. Don't leave the ladder outside for someone to use to access the second story.

The overwhelming majority of burglaries involve "unlawful entry" according to the FBI. That means they entered through a door or window that was unlocked. And most home burglaries occur between the hours of 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. when they figure you are at work. Bad guys coming in during the night are really pretty rare in comparison.

Use it or lose it is a really good saying.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would love to say Yep got all that covered , but I dont. I do have the alarm on my house, motion lights, handgun and shotgun within easy reach, dead bolts on all doors, extra window locks.

now my truck is another story, my door locks dont even work so I dont keep anything of value in her, the work truck is locked up in the shop, and its alarmed as is the shop.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

How come car alarms go Weoo, weoo or honk, honk, honk? No one bothers to check on one of those. If the alarmed flipped the stereo on full blast with full base everyone would be lookin' to see who the fool was with the loud stereo.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere...

24/7 doorman.
    24/7 elevator man.
    24/7 service elevator man.
    No one can get pass the doorman.
    No one can go up without the elevator man taking them there--after calling first to make sure the person or delivery is in fact expected.
    If it's a delivery, the elevator man waits to take them back down.
    Then of course, if they get through those obstacles they'll have to contend with me. Not something to look forward to. Especially after I get my second grown-up knife.

Well there's proof right there that not everyone has to sleep. Do you get over time if you work 24/7?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well there's proof right there that not everyone has to sleep. Do you get over time if you work 24/7?
    I don't, but they work in shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    24/7 doorman.
    24/7 elevator man.
    No one can go up without the elevator man taking them there--after calling first to make sure the person or delivery is in fact expected.
    Then of course, if they get through those obstacles they'll have to contend with me. Not something to look forward to. Especially after I get my second grown-up knife.

That's good for keeping people out, but do you have a way(s) out if you need to leave in a hurry?
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Blog Entries

How come car alarms go Weoo, weoo or honk, honk, honk? No one bothers to check on one of those. If the alarmed flipped the stereo on full blast with full base everyone would be lookin' to see who the fool was with the loud stereo.
    Just get a remote!

FeaturesSpecificationsTransmitter:
    4-Button Transmitter Quantity:
    2 Active or Passive Arming: Yes
    Code Learning: Yes
    Illuminated Entry: Yes
    Icon Buttons: Yes
    Keyless Entry: Yes Maximum Range: 1200 ft Transmit/2500 ft
    ReceiveOn Board Relays: Yes
    Parking Light Flash: Yes
    Receiver Channels: 3 Remote
    Emergency Panic: Yes
    Remote Start: Yes
    RF Technology:
    Code Hopping Shock Sensor:
    2 Stage Single Button Lock/Unlock: Yes
    Siren Tones:
    6 Siren Tones Smart Disarm: Yes
    Starter Disable: Yes
    Timed Self Start: Yes
    Trunk Release: Yes
    Valet Mode: Yes
    Alarm and Starter 2WSHLCD-AS
    Includes dual stage shock sensor RPS (remote paging system)
    External Siren (six-tone)
    Super bright blue LED
    2-auxillary outputs, expandable to 7 with Channel Expander
    Cold start with optional Temperature Sensor
    Dedicated trunk output- Horn honk output during alarm
    Includes anti-grind and starter-kill relay
    Drivers priority unlock
    Ignition controlled door locks
    Trunk release output
    Diesel features built-in
    Manual transmission compatible
    Remote 2WSHLCDR
    Multi-color LCD433 Mhz
    Super Heterodyne Up to 1200 feet of range
    Vibrate and audible notification
    Run-time indicator
    Detailed icons
    CompuGlow backlight
    Turbo timer
    RPS on/off through remote
    Shock sensor on/off through remote
    Passive on/off through remote
    Valet mode on/off through remote
    Uses standard AAA 1.5 volt battery
    Last edited by Ken; 07-29-2010 at 06:26 PM.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius95 View Post
    That's good for keeping people out, but do you have a way(s) out if you need to leave in a hurry?
    In fact, 2 ways out.

Seriously, that is a good idea. No matter where you are; hotels, work, etc. make certain you have two or more ways out. Options are a good thing.

Thats why I have my jeep's alarm hooked up to my 5 trumpet air horns.When the alarm go's off the entire neighborhood knows about it. Nothing beats getting woken up to the sound of a freight train at 4am when a cat jumps into the jeep and sets off the motion sensor.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    24/7 doorman.
    24/7 elevator man.
    "A popular doorman who won the trust and the house keys of residents at an East Side co-op helped himself to a quarter-million dollars in jewelry and even walked off with a resident's safe, prosecutors said."

http://www.nysun.com/new-york/ex-con...-jewelry/7344/
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

LOL!!!! I love it. You might not be the most popular guy in the neighborhood but everyone know who you are!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    HOTELS

3. Pre-check of all escape routes/stairways.
    Seriously, that is a good idea. No matter where you are; hotels, work, etc. make certain you have two or more ways out. Options are a good thing.
    They sure are!
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

The first thing I do after I check in is go on a recon stroll to figure out where things are esp. the exits. I have the most important stuff in my carry-on which is right next to me on the floor. Including a change of clothes/shoes in case I have to run out barefoot in my pj's. (done that once on a business trip abroad because of a false fire alarm) Never again!

Speaking of hotels, how many of you have rappelling gear with you when you stay at a hotel?? I do!
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    "A popular doorman who won the trust and the house keys of residents at an East Side co-op helped himself to a quarter-million dollars in jewelry and even walked off with a resident's safe, prosecutors said."

http://www.nysun.com/new-york/ex-con...-jewelry/7344/

"Courtroom mayhem: Double killer attacks his lawyer before sentencing
    Revelle Loving was found guilty of killing his ex-girlfriend and her boyfriend. He attacked his lawyer as he was being led into court."
    http://www.startribune.com/local/wes...n_refer=Movies

No one's immune, counselor. Maybe Sarky, but that's about it.

Thank You....... I think?
    I know what hunts you.