Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: survival kit

I don't want to make this a list so I'll give you some categories to think about and then you can fill in what you need.

Personal needs such as glasses, medications, durable medical goods (diabetes, ostomy supplies, etc.), clothing, gloves, hygiene, sunglasses (winter and summer).

Baby needs. diapers, powder, formula, pacifier, powdered milk, prescription meds, play things.

Anything that deals with disabilities; hearing, visual, communicative, cognitive, wheel chairs. All those things have to be thought out.

Pets; collars and tags, copies of shot records, food, etc.

Farm Animals: Pre-arrangements in advance for relocation or other options such as slaughter.

Personal records, licenses, certifications, wills, land deeds, DOD, Birth certificates, marriage license, etc. (copies of course)

Money and barter items.

Sanitation supplies

Food and water

Tools

Communication methods and plan

First Aid kit

The purpose of your BOB is to sustain you and your family for a period of X days. You might even have to start life over in some other location. A lot of folks never went back to New Orleans after Katrina. That means your Paramedic License had better be in your BOB if you want to go to work in short order.

Think about what you would need to live for whatever period of time you want to plan for. And considerable the possibility that you may not be able to return to your home. What documents and records would you need to start life over?

I know that sounds like a lot but your tools might be a multi-tool, a knife and some duct tape. It could also be a lot more. Either way, it's up to you.

Hope that helps.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by huntermj View Post
    The comments here have helped me to define what im thinking and asking.
    Ok YCC had a good idea. A bob should be for the environment your in and I‘ll add season your in, as an example, In Idaho a person could go from woods to desert to prairie. In New England its all the same, deep thick woods. But we go from highs of 95 deg. To lows of -20 deg. Depending on the season. I have taken out and used nothing but my emergency pack before but it has been several years and that was in Colorado and there water is really a big concern while here its of almost no concern. Except for treating it like I apparently failed to do well enough on my backpacking trip as I now have an infestation of Giardiasis
    .I guess my question is, is it possible to put tighter a bob for all seasons and environments in the lower 48? That does not require a semi to haul it. Something under 20 pounds.
    Impossible I know. But there are some good thinkers here.
    Huntermj, I cant see having everything needed for under 20# , my bag and gear with minimal water weighs close to if not a little over 20# and thats in warm weather, in cold weather I add a change of cloths, along with boots, and im sure that almost doubles the weight. just a question, but are you maybe thinking just a survival kit and not a BOB?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Ok under 30 pounds. With the right kowlage in any conditions, I feel a person with the Knowalage and three days of gear will figure it out, I just sppent 7 days out with 35 pounds. if it had been winter it would have been maybe 50 pounds.,I guess im just hoping for added info on what to carry no mater where i am,i am.No matter what time of year it is.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Ok under 30 pounds. With the right kowlage in any conditions, I feel a person with the Knowalage and three days of gear will figure it out, I just sppent 7 days out with 35 pounds. if it had been winter it would have been maybe 50 pounds.,I guess im just hoping for added info on what to carry no mater where i am,i am.No matter what time of year it is.
    The best thing you can carry with you in the field is Knowladge, remember that saying " the more you know the less you have to carry"
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Hi,

Just to add (and possibly repeat(reinforce :-)) it really depends on.

1) Where you are (Climate etc)
    2) What you can use.

My kit includes:
    -Flint & striker
    -Waterproof strike anywhere matches (broken in half to save space)
    -Cotton balls (tinder and prevents items from rattling around)
    -10 ft of snare wire
    -6 small hooks
    -6 small splitshot sinkers
    -Bandaids
    -Butterfly sutures
    -Razor blade or flat 2 edged broadhead blade
    -Needles wrapped with braided 10lb test fishing line
    -Triple anti-biotic ointment
    -Anti-histamine tablet (benedryl for allergic reactions)
    -Aspirin (in case of emergency heart attack)
    -Ibuprophen (pain relief for injuries)
    -Wire saw
    -Small piece of candy or chocolate
    -Electrolyte packet or tablets
    -Water purification tablets
    -Button compass
    -Boullion cube or packet
    -Mini magnifying glass (can be found with most eye-glasses repair kits)
    -Compact emergency whistle
    -Birthday candle (preferably the trick ones that are difficult to extinguish)
    -Condom (used for a water bag)

Hope it helps!
    Never without my Paracord Survival Bracelet an essential part of any Survival Kit !

Yeah, I think you can get under 20 lbs for winter for 3 days. A backpacker who carries their own food and shelter and not surviving can do that. 3 days is a very short time. For 3 days, your food load should be around 4.5 lbs. That is not starving but eating over 3000 calories a day with no foraging or hunting. The question is what "comforts" can you go without, and how much are you willing to spend?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Yeah, I think you can get under 20 lbs for winter for 3 days. A backpacker who carries their own food and shelter and not surviving can do that. 3 days is a very short time. For 3 days, your food load should be around 4.5 lbs. That is not starving but eating over 3000 calories a day with no foraging or hunting. The question is what "comforts" can you go without, and how much are you willing to spend?
    I agree. However, I interpreted hunter's question to ask about a BOB that would cover all 4 seasons. I could never achieve that, especially if I started out this time of year. Why? Because I wouldn't be WEARING my winter clothes - they would be in my BOB, adding substantial weight to the pack. Now, if we were in January, I would be wearing those clothes and could probably get by with a 20 lb. pack.

.I guess my question is, is it possible to put tighter a bob for all seasons and environments in the lower 48? That does not require a semi to haul it. Something under 20 pounds.
    Impossible I know. But there are some good thinkers here.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

According to the book "Organize for Disaster", your Essential Documents should include:

• PROOF OF YOUR IDENTITY
    1. Driver’s License
    2. Birth Certificates
    3. Passport
    4. Social Security Cards
    • VITAL CONTACTS AND VITAL CODES
    1. Employer
    2. Banks, investment institutions
    3. Credit card companies
    4. Insurance agents and appraisers
    5. Power, light, gas, and other utility companies
    6. Dept. of Motor Vehicles
    • IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS
    1. Trust records, originals
    2. Copies of the first two pages of your state and federal income tax returns for the past two years
    3. Copies of your credit cards (both sides) or the most recent statement from each credit card company
    4. Deeds, titles, escrow, mortgage notes, or other loan information for real estate
    5. Stock and bond certificates
    6. Vehicle titles and registrations including automobiles, motorcycles, boats, campers, recreational vehicles, etc.
    7. Appraisals for rare, collectible or expensive items such as artwork, antiques, and jewelry
    • Unique family documents

I keep all this stuff in a divided notebook next to my BOB along with $300 emergency cash

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I agree. However, I interpreted hunter's question to ask about a BOB that would cover all 4 seasons. I could never achieve that, especially if I started out this time of year. Why? Because I wouldn't be WEARING my winter clothes - they would be in my BOB, adding substantial weight to the pack. Now, if we were in January, I would be wearing those clothes and could probably get by with a 20 lb. pack.
    Ken, your thinking is sound, I was purposefully interpreting it differently. I am interpreting the 3 days part more literally. Personally I would never make a BOB that only lasted 3 days. But, the OP said 3 days in any weather. Your point is that it is a BOB, and hence everything is in the BOB including all clothing. I still say it can be done. You will just have to make a lot of sacrifice, fiscally and comfort wise. All your insulation will have to be down. All fabric will have to be very light weight. Your food is all non-cook, and you only carry 2 L of water. You have tablets to purify. You use a tarp with no bug net, and ccf pads instead of air mattress. No soap, or hygiene items. Your first aid kit is very small. Your foot wear must be very minimal (no boots). Your pack has to weigh less than 3 lbs. 3 days is not very long, and thus makes this all possible.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

yas i think this is possable. And the more i thike about it , doable. and 3 days is doable as a bob or ghb. any season. I think the abilty to build a shelter and a fire is key. knoldge is the best tool. Yes i want to put toghter a bag that help me in all seasons, from 95 deg, to -20.

also i dont need to carry water. there too much of it here.
    Last edited by huntermj; 08-04-2010 at 08:35 PM.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Quote Originally Posted by mountain mama View Post
    A

I keep all this stuff in a divided notebook next to my BOB along with $300 emergency cash
    I hope your emergency cash is all in small bills. It would suck giving someone $100 for something that could have been purchased for a couple of bucks if you could have made the change.

Better yet it might be better in silver coins (dollars) as paper money might not be worth anything.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared