Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Survival Gun

Wink

[QUOTE=klickitat;236736]
    She now prints 3/4" composite groups (2 shots) with Fiocchi slugs at 60 yards. This opens up to 3-4 inches at 100 yards. This is not typical and I realize that I got lucky, but it worked better than I could ever of hoped for.

And there is exactly where the abilty & experience of the shooter far outweighs the inherent accuracy of the firearm.

Your choice may not be mine but kudos to "knowing" your firearm's limits.

Me? Savage 24C Camper's Campanion. Yes, a 20 bore on the bottom but a 22rimfire atop for smaller stuff...and I avoid BIG critters, just to be safe.

What scope mount did you use and were can I buy one?

Not sure if you are going to get any answers....that thread is from 2010, and haven't seen some of those guys for a while.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If it's the post from Krat, maybe a PM to him would suffice.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I like my Savage 24, 3 inch 20 gauge, and .22 Long Rifle. Good all around combo.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

I have a scope mount on my M24 but not a see thou
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

POA was set for .22 but makes it hard to see for the 20 ga. so took it off.

M24 has a 3/8 grooves for a .22 scope so an adaptor can be bought.....
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dovetail-scope-mount

BTW it does say, on the barrel, to not shoot the shotgun with a clamp on scope mounted......factory CYA
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Wow! Serious thread resurrection! The term "survival gun" is complicated, I suppose. The USAF has their idea of survival guns for a downed pilot. A camper or fisherman has his definition of one based on where she lives. If I lived in Alaska my survival gun would be different than it would be here. So long as you don't live in a place with large dangerous critters I suppose a .22lr with a couple hundred rounds of ammo would be a pretty good survival gun, depending on the situation. Sure can't criticize the double 20 ga aside from the fact that it would be hard to carry a lot of ammo for it. An over/under with a .22 LR over a 20 ga would be pretty sweet.

Caliber inserts make a shotgun even more versatile, but only work in a break barrel.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shot...x-a&channel=sb

EB

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
    What scope mount did you use and were can I buy one?

Ancient thread alright! We have done 10 or 20 Savage 24 threads since this one faded into the background. Perhaps this will help.

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Site-Kwik...ords=kwik+site

These give a wide field of view for using the shotgun without removing the scope. If you shoot with both eyes open the mount is just a haze which you are shooting through.

One trick you have to do is use a small dot of JB Weld at the front of each side where the clamp hits the mounting groove. If you do not do that the scope and mounts will shift forward under recoil and slide off the grooves when you use the 20 gauge barrel. Screws up your zero too.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

For an alround weapon, I'll take an AK47 over a shotgun any day of the week.

Well, that's your choice but I think you just gave up a lot of versatility unless you plan to go to war.

@ Rick

I've had enough war, so I'll pass on that part.
    I guess it's down to preference, but both are off the table here. There's no legal way for a private person to own an AK47 in my country anyway.
    Gun ownership is very restricted, and limited to people with valid hunting licenses. Even then, there are very serious restrictions to how you store and transport any firearm, as well as what kinds of weapon you can own. Keeping a hunting rifle in your car, unless you're going DIRECTLY to a hunt, or going DIRECTLY home from a hunt, is against the law and the punishment for violating such laws are severe.. No "slap on the wrist" sentences.

My favorite is my Rossi .22/410 interchangable barrels,stock is synthetic so I store additonal ammo in stock, great sights accurate.comes with a sleeved case that will easily fit into a pack. short and sweet ammo easy to store. Low light sights. Inexpensive i have shot quite a bit and am still impressed.
    Semper Paratus

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you all mentioned it...

I own a Henry AR-7 survival rifle. This gun was NOT designed for the military, but for civilian use. The original gun that it was taken from was the AR-5 made for the military. It was bolt action and the magazine held 4 .22 Hornet rounds...a center-fire round. It was made by ArmaLite:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...f=123&t=608019

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...f=123&t=608019

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

IMHO. It's a fools argument to talk against someone who chooses a shotgun as a survival caliber. I agree it's a great and logical choice.

I need to take it a step farther and hump the weight as a Myrat shooter mentions straight off. The Savage 24. 22M over 20 ga would be my choice.

What the shotgun dosen't do the Maggie will!

CW
    Support our troops! We all owe a debt we cannot begin to repay, start with support of the PEOPLE in the uniforms.

I guess my favorite survival gun would have to be a 22LR, preferably my Ruger 1022. I can carry lots of ammo for it, and with proper shot placement it could even take fairly large game if need be.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Well, I own a 10/22, and one of the last available stashes of .22 ammo in Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana, and consider it next to last on my list of choices, one step above a zip gun.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Well, I own a 10/22, and one of the last available stashes of .22 ammo in Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana, and consider it next to last on my list of choices, one step above a zip gun.
    Couldn't be the last stash of 22 ammo, cause I just bought 3 325 round cans of Federal ammo for $19.95 a can and that was in Ohio ! And I have a few thousand rounds stashed away too !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Now you do remember that 2 years ago the Federal 325 was going for $5 a box at Walmart?

So now we are at the point where IF we can find crappy Federal junk .22 at any price it is cause for rejoicing?

My 10/22 will not shoot Federal ammo half the time, so if they were giving it away it would do me no good.

Yeah, but you could always shoot it out of one of your other dozen or so 22's.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel