99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Axe!

64 64.65%
  • Machete!

35 35.35%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Axe or Machete? Why?

Default Axe or Machete? Why?

If you could only bring one or the other, which would it be?

Why?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Banned

I chose Machete , just seems it would be more versatile, after watching Pict's Video, Its Machete all the way

I chose an axe as that's what I used to.
    If I was in a area the had thick folage, jungle etc, I might want to rethink that.

Proper prepping does not make in nessessry to "chose" one over the other.

As with anything, you chose the proper tool for the job, if you can plan ahead, or use what ever you have, if you are in a situation where you don't have a choice.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

I agree with hunter63. Even though I chose an axe, it would depend on the habitat I was in at the time. On some of the rivers down here in the south a machete would be best, on others the axe and on some you would need both.

I have a machete made from a sawmill blade and is heavy enough to do some serious chopping and splitting. So I think in an "either or situation" and knowing nothing about the habitat I would choose MY machete.

Default Ax (when approriate)

I would mirror that I would also choose a machete in certain situations, but, overall, it is an ax (small camp-sized) for me.

I mostly hunt and camp in plains prarie or riparian forest, so a machete would be overkill. Indeed, I only use the ax as a convenience for splitting wood for kindeling and have gone into the wild quite often with nothing more than a multitool, knowing that I could find plenty of smaller stuff to start a fire in an emergency. Overall, my approach is to work with and around nature, not put myself in situations where I feel I need to hack and wack my way through it.

For a kicker, I've never injured myself with an ax, but I have with a machete. I was using it correctly, but that is a lot of blade and it easy to accidently cut a toe or knee. In a survival situation, that could be the difference between an uncomfortable night without a fire and death.

If I knew I would be in dense vegetation, I may change my mind.

Axe for me. Same reasons. I can walk around multi-flora rose.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What are things an axe can do that a machete can't?

What are things a machete can do that an axe can't?

What sort of environments are more suited to each?

Does the size of the axe impact which one you would choose?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

You can clear brush as you walk with a machete, and it's easier to split wood with an axe?

For me it would be an axe, I already carry my coldsteel bushman that is well suite to use for clearing brush, so an axe would be a knife saver when gathering wood.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    What are things an axe can do that a machete can't? Matter of choice on chopping

What are things a machete can do that an axe can't? Clear vegetation

What sort of environments are more suited to each?
    Open woodland-axe,
    Thick vegetation- machete

Does the size of the axe impact which one you would choose?
    Of course, prefer small hatchet, hawk, or cruiser axe
    That about sums it up for me.

If you could only bring one or the other, which would it be?

Why?
    In order to make an intelligent decision, or give good advice, you (we) need to know what environments you plan on using either of these. If it's the woods that you normally hike in, what are they like? Do you hike on paths or trail blaze? I imagine that Pict's answer to the question might be different than Sourdough's.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

Given the lack of data I have to say an axe. The only Machete I own is an "El-Cheapo" bought from Wally-World. However I'd also be taking my Becker Combat Bowie with it's 9" blade, so that would help with any brush that needed clearing. An axe, IMO, is one of the most versatile tools there is. If I ever find myself in the Panamanian Jungle or in the Brazilian rain forest alongside Pict/Mac I might regret that decision, but realistically I don't see anything like that happening.

One point, I never go along with "either/or" situations; I take along what I want & what I need.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

I have one of these ,, and believe me its very heavy duty, Its a ww2 folding jungle survival machete that was issued to pilots, this will do any chopping a medium Axe will do i think,

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I chose the axe for it's use as a hammer in a extreme survival situation.

Hi there HappyHunter. Why not Hunt your way happily to our Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Wow, Axe is kicking Machete's ***! There must me advantages to Axe that I'm not seeing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    In order to make an intelligent decision, or give good advice, you (we) need to know what environments you plan on using either of these.
    One thing that I have observed, or at least the impression I get, is that a majority of the experts on this forum reside in colder climates that are perhaps more suited to Axe than Machete. I wonder if this is influencing the results?

I notice the same trend whenever clothing is discussed: There is a lot of focus on cold weather clothing, not as much focus on hot weather clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    If it's the woods that you normally hike in, what are they like? Do you hike on paths or trail blaze? I imagine that Pict's answer to the question might be different than Sourdough's.
    I'm not so much looking for advice on what I should carry, as I am seeking to understand what factors cause you guys to choose the tool that you choose. Obviously different folks will choose differently depending on what factors they face. I'd like to hear more about those factors that influence their choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Given the lack of data I have to say an axe. The only Machete I own is an "El-Cheapo" bought from Wally-World. However I'd also be taking my Becker Combat Bowie with it's 9" blade, so that would help with any brush that needed clearing.
    THAT'S CHEATING! That's like saying, "I'll take BOTH!" A large bowie with a 9" blade is basically like having a small machete.

What if you had to choose between Axe, and your Becker Combat Bowie, Sarge?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    An axe, IMO, is one of the most versatile tools there is.
    I'd like to hear some more detail on this. I seek to understand. What are the many versatile things that an axe can do? Obviously if you're going to be felling sizeable trees, an axe is what you need. But beyond that, it seems like an awefully heavy and cumbersome item compared to a machete.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhunter42 View Post
    I chose the axe for it's use as a hammer in a extreme survival situation.
    Couldn't a sizeable chunk of wood do that?

SD, I guess you just like machetes better.
    Thats great, but I have to question why it always seems to be a either/or situation?

Most people wiill pick what they like if they have a choice, or use whatever they have if they don't. Nothing wrong with that....it's what we do.

THAT'S CHEATING! That's like saying, "I'll take BOTH!" A large bowie with a 9" blade is basically like having a small machete.
    If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.

Don't forget what can be done with a sharp axe in the hands of an experienced woodsman. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ighlight=angus
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool well, since you brought it up....

One thing that I have observed, or at least the impression I get, is that a majority of the experts on this forum reside in colder climates that are perhaps more suited to Axe than Machete. I wonder if this is influencing the results?
    I think that is correct, the axe is a preferred tool in large forested areas while a machete works well against heavy Brush.

NANNY NANNY BOO BOO!

What if you had to choose between Axe, and your Becker Combat Bowie, Sarge?
    AXE WINS, HANDS DOWN! No contest!

I'd like to hear some more detail on this. I seek to understand. What are the many versatile things that an axe can do? Obviously if you're going to be felling sizeable trees, an axe is what you need. But beyond that, it seems like an awefully heavy and cumbersome item compared to a machete.
    What if your Machete breaks? Look at the thickness of an axe head, See how thick & strong it is? Here's a quote from "The Complete Book of Camping" by Leonard Miracle with Maurice Decker; Chapter 8: "The Vital Ax;" pg 151:

"If you were all alone in the woods with only one tool, what tool would you select? To this question the modern woodsman would answer an ax-for the ax is the basic Wilderness tool.
    "With only an ax, a skillful woodsman can build a sturdy shelter-a permanent cabin if need be. The steel head of an ax will spark a flint to start a fire. An ax will cut material to build traps for fish & game. A man with an ax can build a raft, a dugout, or a canoe. The cutting edge of an ax can be used to butcher a moose that weighs a half a ton or to clean a 1-pound fish.
    "An ax is a formidable weapon in itself, and it will shape the materials needed for a spear, or a bow and arrows. A rifle is just an elaborate club when a vital spring breaks or it's cartridges are gone. Although ax handles break, the steel can be used to cut and shape a new handle, and the head will last indefinitely".

So I choose the ax.

Couldn't a sizeable chunk of wood do that?
    Perhaps, but you have to spend time & expand energy looking for that "just right" piece of wood...Your axe is already equipped with it! Besides, why count on using something "sub-standard" in place of the right tool? Wood can break apart easily & is untrustworthy as a proper tool. The time & energy spent, in my opinion, does not justify your stance regarding the machete.

Last edited by Sarge47; 07-23-2010 at 12:13 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for reminding us of that video.
    I didn't know they had "invented" survival, back in 1954.

Snicker, snicker...............