Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Axe!

64 64.65%
  • Machete!

35 35.35%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Axe or Machete? Why?

Ax; mostly because of were I live; more woods than heavy vegitation. I have also killed a machete attempting to clear some small saplings from my yard.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    I have also killed a machete attempting to clear some small saplings from my yard.
    I would not use that phrase in certain parts of Central America since they have a class of farm laborer they refer too by their favored tool. A whole group called "machettes"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Not an expert (or even close to anything vaguely resembling one), but I'd say in a survival situation, use the tool you're familiar with. In my area (central CA) there aren't many big trees to chop, and unless I was hunting, I'd choose to stay out of the dense brush. As for hunting, as has been stated, an axe may be more useful than a machete for severing bones and such.

As for a weapon - a machete is only useful as long as it is sharp. Even a dull axe is an adequate bludgeoning tool, capable of breaking bones and cracking skulls. I would probably carry the axe, as I have a good size knife I carry when outdoors.
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

Sadly, I would go with the machete. Might not be as heavy but I've used them to chop down little trees up to a couple inches thick. You ain't gonna win no speed award but it's lighter and has more uses then just as a bush clearer. It helps if you have a sharpening stone in your pack.

I have one of these: http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/item/38 Does the work of both machete and hatchet

Axe, Estwing E45A 26" Steel Camper's Axe to be more accurate. Why? because it is what I know. I have used it on the farm, in the field, and in the woods for the last 20 years very successfully so I would chose it over my Ontario G.I. issue 18" machete that I have carried in my vehicle for the last 30 years. You said I had to chose so I did. You ask why and for me it comes down to I am more confident with my skill level and proficiency, which allows me to accomplish more tasks with my axe than with my machete.

I think Crash should invent and build a hybrid cutting tool crossed between and axe and a machete, a Crashete. If he tagged it with a survival / tactical name and had a patent, there is no telling how much money could be made. " The Tactical Crashete ", doesn't that have a ring to it?

Both, because each has its place and use.

A reminder, don't forget to carry a small file in your backpack so when your hatchet gets dull, you are not trying to rub it on a rock to get it sharp again!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I think Crash should invent and build a hybrid cutting tool crossed between and axe and a machete, a Crashete. If he tagged it with a survival / tactical name and had a patent, there is no telling how much money could be made. " The Tactical Crashete ", doesn't that have a ring to it?
    That sounds dangerous and unwieldy. It also sounds that it may complain that you are doing it wrong and make "machoman" comments.

Over here in AUS we aren't dealing with anything that warrants a machete, even our rainforests are a simple case of stepping over the ferns. And as said a a million times this thread in a long term survival situation and axe (Or hatchet) as many further critical uses. So I'm voting axe.

I take a machete over an axe any day. Don't know if I can really explain why, it just feels better to carry. I've never had a bear attack (couple close calls though) but if I did I would much rather be armed with a machete than an axe. An axe just seems big and cumbersome compared to a machete when your miles out in the wilderness. I always take my machete with me and I leave my axe beside the wood pile... different strokes for different folks.

[QUOTE=BushCraft;377801]That sounds dangerous and unwieldy. It also sounds that it may complain that you are doing it wrong and make "machoman" comments.

Isn't being in the wilderness miles from any civilization kind of dangerous? I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I get tired of seeing people scared of their own shadow... people freaking out and locking their doors when a deer wonders into town... hate to see what they would do if they came face to face with a griz or cougar. Besides, if you think a crashete would be scary you best not see the size of my chainsaw

Right here, I'm at a borderline. Around my house, a machete would do better. But where I usually do my hiking and camping in the mountains, an ax would do better. I do have more experience with a machete though and have warped every Coldsteel machete I've had (won't get any more of those). The Ontario I have seems more stout. So I'd have to go with both. Machete for around here, and an ax for where I go.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

So I guess that most every one that has participated in the poll, can only afford one or the other, so that's the reason for have to pick one.

Y'all know that are many kinds of axes as well as machete's, so do you have to pick just one kind? Of either/or?

Different tools for different jobs......
    So get a part time job, save up a few bucks and get what ever is gonna be the most helpful in your situation.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So I guess that most every one that has participated in the poll, can only afford one or the other, so that's the reason for have to pick one.

Y'all know that are many kinds of axes as well as machete's, so do you have to pick just one kind? Of either/or?

Different tools for different jobs......
    So get a part time job, save up a few bucks and get what ever is gonna be the most helpful in your situation.
    Your quote says it all hunter, "the more ya know the less ya have to carry"

Ax or hatchet all the time, closest I get to a machete is a large bush knife, but ax just part of my carry.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

[QUOTE=Psalm25;377878]
    Quote Originally Posted by BushCraft View Post
    That sounds dangerous and unwieldy. It also sounds that it may complain that you are doing it wrong and make "machoman" comments.

Isn't being in the wilderness miles from any civilization kind of dangerous? I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I get tired of seeing people scared of their own shadow... people freaking out and locking their doors when a deer wonders into town... hate to see what they would do if they came face to face with a griz or cougar. Besides, if you think a crashete would be scary you best not see the size of my chainsaw
    The only thing in this world that I am scared of are insane people, and being broke, and you scare me a little!

The fixed blade knife is one of those things that many people take for granted. In fact, despite using them occasionally many never give much thought about it. The knife helps you shape items such as wooden poles for instance when making stakes
    Just another spammer......nothing to see here.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-07-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Personally, I've made few wooden poles for stakes. I just had a lot of trouble driving them in the ground until I found one of these. Still, whittling a pole with a knife is a LOT of work.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Once in a while I see a resurrected thread and I have something to add.

First, I get to see old posts from hunter63. I do miss those.

Secondly, I sometimes have something to add to the discourse, or discord, whichever it may be.

When I was about 12, growing up in South Louisiana, I did save my yard money and purchased a Bolo. It is machete-like but has a thick heavy blade and a little extra meat on the blade tip. My profession at the time was yard work. I would, on hands and knees, chop St. Augustine grass away from the edges of the sidewalks on the yards I tended. For a yard that I did regularly I used a cane knife. For new work or those who didn't get regular care I used the Bolo.

I also used the Bolo on my forays into the swamps. With the heavy blade small trees were a breeze. I wasn't to good for standard machete work because it was too heavy, but it still cut. I still have it.

My favorite now is what I believe is a banana knife. 36" blade, wide round tip and double edged. I think they grab the bunch and jab at the stem to cut the whole bunch of bananas out of the tree.

I worked an exchange student years ago who was deft with a machete. He was from Guatemala and he only had two fingers on his left hand from a banana plantation accident. Man he could swing that blade though. Just put him on a fenceline with a jug of water and a file and stay the heck out of his way.

Most people just break the handles off of axes before the really get to using them.

Alan