Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Icehouses

Default Icehouses

I go to an amish store frequently,and noticed that they have an electric freezer (not hooked up) but use large chunks of ice to basically turn it into a refrigerator.

Today,I asked the lady where she gets her ice from,and she told me they have an icehouse,and in the winter,they cut large chunks of ice out of their pond,and store in the icehouse,another Amish family built the icehouse when they owned the property.

Soon as my schedule is free enough for a tour,she is going to show me the icehouse,will try to get pictures,if allowed,but generally,they don't like pictures (depends on the sect of Amish) and my neighbors are very old order.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

wow...I forgot about ice houses. For those of us who live in the snow belts, that is something to look into. The Amish do know what they are doing.
    Turtle Clan/Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Nell,, this is a good reminder. Would love to see some pictures (like you say , if they allow). I can read theory all day, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousnand words
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Banned

I honestly don't know whether I envy the Amish or pity them, I respect them , but I like modern conveniences ,

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I honestly don't know whether I envy the Amish or pity them, I respect them , but I like modern conveniences ,
    Good Lord,do not pity them,they are much more well off then their appearance tells!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Good Lord,do not pity them,they are much more well off then their appearance tells!
    I just mean , ummmm,, because they do not use modern stuff,, maybe i am using the wrong word, like i said, i respect them, just feel sorry for them because they cut ice out of a frozen lake rather than plugging in the darn freezer

Blog Entries

I've been into the Icehouse at Wrest Park near where I used to live. Really interesting structures.
    This one was designed with an access tunnel which went into a bank then the Ice cavity was a brick lined well.
    I'd be really interested if you could get some pics.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Thanks for the post Nell. It brought back some fond memories of summer vacations in Nova Scotia while growing up. There was a big ice house in the village, and quite a few of the businesses (and a couple of the residents) still had ice delivered for their ice boxes. Now I guess we'd call those antiques. Thanks again - it put a smile on my face. Tried to give you some rep, but I gotta spread the love.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I cant think of any still in use but there is one by a small pond near here. If it is very different from the one Nell takes pictures of, I'll sneak over and take some pictures of it.

We had a pretty lengthy discussion on ice houses last year as I recall. I can't seem to find the thread however. There may have been a couple of them. I know Native Fake had posted about his 3 ft. or was it 4 ft or 5 ft in grounder in one of them.

Pics would be great. The ice house was a cool (pun intended) place when I was a kid. Loved watching them stack the blocks of ice. I always wanted a pair of the ice tongs just to grab the other kids with. Probably why dad never let me have a set.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Default They are still around,

Snippet,
    Each year at Howell Farm the program season opens with the annual ice harvesting event. This event recreates a slice of Pleasant Valley life that was an important winter job each year. The ice cut in January or February would typically supply the farmers throughout the year when stored in an efficient ice house such as ours.
    CONTINUED @ > http://www.howellfarm.org/calendar/i...ce_harvest.htm

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Visitors help with sawing eight inch ice and moving the ice blocks to the ramp to the icehouse. (Photo by Jeff Kelly)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    We had a pretty lengthy discussion on ice houses last year as I recall. I can't seem to find the thread however. There may have been a couple of them. I know Native Fake had posted about his 3 ft. or was it 4 ft or 5 ft in grounder in one of them.

Pics would be great. The ice house was a cool (pun intended) place when I was a kid. Loved watching them stack the blocks of ice. I always wanted a pair of the ice thongs just to grab the other kids with. Probably why dad never let me have a set.
    Explains a lot.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well..er....what I mean is.....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Snippet,

CONTINUED @ > http://www.howellfarm.org/calendar/i...ce_harvest.htm

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Visitors help with sawing eight inch ice and moving the ice blocks to the ramp to the icehouse. (Photo by Jeff Kelly)
    I feel sorry for the guy on the other end of that saw
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I feel sorry for the guy on the other end of that saw
    His career on the two man saw did help him obtain work with BP.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm curious, if the ice is from the frozen lakes and ponds, what about the bacterias that were in the water before it was frozen ?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Still there. You can pick them off pretty easy. They are wearing the tiny parkas.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I'm curious, if the ice is from the frozen lakes and ponds, what about the bacterias that were in the water before it was frozen ?
    Maybe freezing kills everything ? In the old days they used horses to haul the ice of the lake, you know they had to poop on it sometimes

Bacteria would go dormant but the cold won't kill it. Can you boil ice?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Still there. You can pick them off pretty easy. They are wearing the tiny parkas.
    That is a great answer, LMAO.