Thread: Treasure Hunters missing in Arizona Desert

Banned

Exclamation Treasure Hunters missing in Arizona Desert

Search for Missing Treasure-Hunters Scaled Down
    There are few clues on men's whereabouts

Updated: Friday, 16 Jul 2010, 6:21 PM MDT
    Published : Friday, 16 Jul 2010, 6:21 PM MDT

APACHE JUNCTION, Ariz. - Hope is waning in the search for 3 Utah men missing since Sunday, apparently on a treasure hunt in the Superstition Mountains.

Heat is hampering the efforts to find Curtis Meriworth, 67, Ardean Charles, 62, and Malcolm Meeks, 51, who were last heard from on July 6.

The soaring temperatures are challenging search crews on the ground and the air. Rescuers have had to scale back their efforts -- only searching in the early morning hours.

After five days of unsuccessful searching, authorities say it won't be too long before efforts are called off completely.

The Salt Lake City men set off in the rugged Superstition Moutnains last week, looking for the infamous Lost Dutchman Gold Mine.
    CONTINUED > http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news...arch-7-16-2010

** I heard on the news yesterday that there are at least 2 other guys that went out into that area to search for the Lost Dutchman Mine, in past years, They have never been found **

hmm apache junction eh?
    been a few years since i been south of phx how built up is that area now?
    can't recall the name of the lake around that area in the superstitions, rugged area i wish them well.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    hmm apache junction eh?
    been a few years since i been south of phx how built up is that area now?
    can't recall the name of the lake around that area in the superstitions, rugged area i wish them well.
    I'm not sure to be honest, I live near Bullhead City Az, at the Ca/Az/Nv border,

Banned

Default The LOST DUTCHMAN MINE STORY

THE LOST DUTCHMAN MINE
    One of America's Most Haunting Mysteries
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

What strange secrets lie hidden near Superstition Mountain in Arizona? Did a lone miner really discover a fortune in lost gold here? And what strange force has caused a number of adventurers to die brutal deaths and vanish without a trace in this rugged region?

Located just east of Phoenix, Arizona is a rough, mountainous region where people sometimes go... only to never be seen again. It is a place of mystery, of legend and lore and it is called Superstition Mountain. According to history, both hidden and recorded, there exists a fantastic gold mine here like no other that has ever been seen. It has been dubbed the “Lost Dutchman Mine” over the years and thanks to its mysterious location, it has been the quest of many an adventurer... and a place of doom to luckless others.
    What strange energy lingers here? What has caused dozens of people who seek the mine to vanish without a trace? Is the answer really as the Apache Indians say? Does the “Thunder God” protect this mine... bringing death to those who attempt to pillage it? Or can the deaths be linked to other causes? Are they caused, as some have claimed, by the spirits of those who have died seeking the mine before?

Let’s explore all of these questions and journey back into the haunted history of the Lost Dutchman Mine... and uncover the numerous deaths and the violence that surrounds it.

CONTINUE READING @ http://www.prairieghosts.com/dutchman.html

(Good Read )
    Last edited by Justin Case; 07-17-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: add

The moment I heard the words of Superstition Mountain I knew what they was after. My grandma found theses stories interesting and painted me a picture of the Dutchman and Superstition Mountain in the background along with the book she found interesting.
    Thanks Justin, I haven't read the story for many years.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Only donkeys and gringos walk in the mid day sun.

Speaking of hidden places, i want to try and find the grove of titans. Its a place in Jediah Smith Redwoods state park that holds the largest tree by overall volume(not the tallest though) in the entire world as well as many other humungulogous trees.
    The location has not been disclosed to the general public. People have found it, but luckily in order for someone to actually go and search for it, they would have to already have huge respect and love for the redwood forests. Nobody has gone off and toled everyone the location. I would love to camp out under these massive things with the stars in the sky and a small fire at my back while sleeping on the mossy ground. That is kind of my dream scenario for staying in the woods..... Man, just looking at one of these massive trees is like staring mother nature herself in the face. The large redwoods are so huge that their high limbs have actual ecosystems living on the top of the branches, with newts and frogs and all.

Quote Originally Posted by justin_baker View Post
    Only donkeys and gringos walk in the mid day sun.

Speaking of hidden places, i want to try and find the grove of titans. Its a place in Jediah Smith Redwoods state park that holds the largest tree by overall volume(not the tallest though) in the entire world as well as many other humungulogous trees.
    The location has not been disclosed to the general public. People have found it, but luckily in order for someone to actually go and search for it, they would have to already have huge respect and love for the redwood forests. Nobody has gone off and toled everyone the location. I would love to camp out under these massive things with the stars in the sky and a small fire at my back while sleeping on the mossy ground. That is kind of my dream scenario for staying in the woods..... Man, just looking at one of these massive trees is like staring mother nature herself in the face. The large redwoods are so huge that their high limbs have actual ecosystems living on the top of the branches, with newts and frogs and all.
    From what I understand, the last group of folks to find the area were these guys
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

I just googled to see if these 3 guys have been found,, last news was on the 14th that they were scaling down the search, They are most likely dead,, shame,,,,,
    The Curse of the Lost Dutchman Mine strikes again,, That and people that go out into the desert unprepared usually die there,,

The Grove of Titans was actually made public in February. They've since made way for a camping area there.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

I have no idea what you are talking about Rick,, whats the grove of Titans ?

See post 6. This is a pencil.....this is the internet.......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

I was working out of an insurance office in another city 7 years ago & my boss spent half the year at his horse ranch in Arizona...butted up against the Superstitious mountains. I told him the following story & he laughed & said: "He was looking for the mine! Oh no!" Here's the story:

I was 21 years old living in Iowa and my best friend had married my cousin. He'd been bitten by the "gold bug" & was making plans for him, myself, and two of my brothers to go looking for that mine. He also planed on going to Alaska & looking for gold there as well. Sheesh, talk about two different climates! Anyway, I was assigned the job of doing the research on the Lost Dutchman Mine & one of the books I read was by a man who'd lived all of his life in that region. The author related that there was a Native American reservation there & many deaths of White folk were done at the hands of those Native Americans who might catch them out by their lonesome. I don't know if that was true or not, but I was happy when the whole thing fell through. Some speculate that the mine is a myth designed to bring tourists into the region, just like that story about the alien spacecraft out in the Nevada desert & "Nessie," the Loch Ness Monster" over in Scotland. I'll just bet that Sasquatch started that story about the mine just to take some heat off of himself!

One final thought, maybe they ought to hire Cody Lundin to lead the search & Rescue party out there since he knows the desert well enough.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

well, there is some neat stories about it, I wouldn't be surprised about the Natives killing the White people, its sacred land to them, and Many of the remains found were decapitated and a couple were tied in blankets,, The accounts are in my post above ,,, its a fun read anyway,

golds already been found, why do ya think i moved to canada
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I was wondering who would stop to think, ...........maybe the guys found the treasure and hauled butt. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    I was wondering who would stop to think, ...........maybe the guys found the treasure and hauled butt. LOL
    It's not a "treasure," it's a mine. However what if they found it & are working it? If nobody could find the mine then they wouldn't find the 3 guys, right?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    It's not a "treasure," it's a mine. However what if they found it & are working it? If nobody could find the mine then they wouldn't find the 3 guys, right?
    They would have had to find a drinking fountain too

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    They would have had to find a drinking fountain too
    Maybe there was a water hole next to the mine; after all, nobody's ever seen the mine, right?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Maybe they shoulda took Yukon Cornelius along.