Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best companion breed? (Dogs)

Labs are great, but beware -- as puppies they are INSANE. HUGE amounts of energy (and this stage lasts 2 years or so!) but are WONDERFUL dogs if you can work the energy out of 'em. My wife and I had two of them - learned a valuable life lesson: NEVER get two lab puppies at the same time if you can help it. They feed off each other's energy and become NUTS. It's fun, but gets tiresome if they don't fit your lifestyle real well.

My dog is a Lab/Malamute/Timber wolf mix - Kaya is wonderful. Loyal to a fault (is never more than 10-20 feet from me), she's laying at my feet right now. Has some interesting personality characteristics, but overall a good mix.

When you look for a dog, you just *know* when the right one has found you. The human/dog bond is very much a cool bond to experience!

PS: Rick is right -- becoming your dog's leader/alpha is of the utmost importance to ensure a happy dog and happy owner. It's the little things -- don't let them through doors or up/down stairs ahead of you, don't let 'em pull on the leash, hand feed to establish pack order etc etc. Some fascinating web sites out there that discuss this kind of thing.

Best of luck finding a pooch - throw a photo up when you do!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post

I'd agree with a lab too, was my first thought, although some shed pretty bad, especially the longer haired varieties. Especially where kids are involved, I'd shy away from any dog that has a history of being trained for fighting, defense, or attacking people, etc. German sheppard, pincer, boxer, pit bull, chow, rot, They're great dogs and don't deserve the rep some get, but they are what they are.
    german shepards are known for being good with kids, its son like you have to train them against their instinct.
    Come share my fire.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm
    these guys list almost every dog bread and explains their characteristics, history, temperament, life span, grooming needs, other needs, and more s this is a good place to go
    Come share my fire.

I was attacked by a german sheppard as a kid while delivering cub scout fund raising stuff to customers. The dog chowed on me as soon as the kid opened the door while the dad sat in his car leaving for work watching the whole thing. The dog was very well trained and real good with their kids, but it was trained for defense and saw me as a threat. I got mauled and it got put down, the homeowner was out money for all of it. Everyone lost on that deal.

I like german sheppards, just don't think their the best to keep around the house or where kids or unsuspecting folks might wander into their zone unless they are watched very well.

I would highly recommend a lab. I have had a Chocolate lab since he was a pup, only 2 years old now. He is definitely full of energy, all the time. I crate trained him because labs get bored and eat things once all the toys are destroyed, like 3 wallets, the mail, magazines, CDs, 2 remotes, countless cat toys, the wife's sheep hide slippers, ect... All casualties were really my fault since I left it low enough for him to get to it all and only ever did while we were asleep or gone. 2 years later, he is left out of the crate at night and does just fine. The first time I took him to the woods he was on a leash, since then he’s had no leash even when I am hiking trails. He stays close to camp or walks with me when I am moving around. He went hunting with me a few times and picked up retrieving birds with very little training and is not gun shy at all. We don't have any kids, but I was rough with him and dominate when he was younger and now pays my buddy’s kids no mind when we are at their house. The 8 year old rough houses with him, the 3 year old tries to ride him like a horse (never works), and the 1 year old uses him as a pillow or step stool for the couch and whatever else he sleeping in front of. He is really smart and very protective of my wife while I am gone, very strange how they pick up things like that. He isn't aggressive so to speak but has a good solid bark when people come to the door. He is relatively short haired and we give him a bath every month so the hair has never been a problem. The greatest thing he is always happy to see you whether you just got home or walked into a different room. Well this has been my experience with a lab and hope it helps you in your search.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

all big dogs have the potential to do major damage or kill. there is no way to tell which dog breed is most statistically likely to bite since this would depend on the percentage of how many of each breeds there is. the more common the breed the more likely it is to have a high level of bite reports. i was bitten by a husky as a kid, i know people bitten by labs, ive met a few highly aggressive golden retrievers, ive been around many german Shepherd and i really dont think there anymore aggressive then any other dog breed, there history is that of a shepherd, thats what they were made for, not attacking people. people use them at guard dogs cuz they are trainable and powerful, not cuz they are viscous. if you take a labs and train it as a guard dog thats what it becomes also. they are trained to be guard dogs, not they are guard dogs cuz they are vicious
    Come share my fire.

I agree with you Owl girl. I think that almost any dog that I get, can be trained for what I want it to do. Also any them can become a viscous dog.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIM2594 View Post
    I agree with you Owl girl. I think that almost any dog that I get, can be trained for what I want it to do. Also any them can become a viscous dog.
    When I was a meter reader, I learned this as well! There are three animals that were always bad news though..almost no exceptions. The chow, the pitbull and geese! I hated seeing any of them in the yard!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Best dog I ever had, and one that meets all you requirements, was an Australian Blue Heeler.
    Not telling this story to discourage you. The 5 Australian Blue Heelers I've encountered in my life were very exceptional dogs. That being said...

My wife's mom has 2 Australian Blue Heelers. The are very smart dogs. However, the big one, Sydney (or Kujo) was born deaf. She loves her masters, my wife, a couple of the neighbors. Anybody who was not introduced to her life when she was a pup, however, she bares her teeth and will lunge if you are not careful.

They did a good job of teaching her commands with sign language, but for some reason, she never adjusted to newcomers.

The other dog is the sweetest thing in the world. Lots of energy, loves to play fetch, and will lick you to death.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by GRIM2594 View Post
    Another thing that I was wondering, was if an adult dog is still trainable? If so, how much more difficult is it to train a dog as an adult, lets say 2-3 years old? It is much more realistic that I would be able to rescue an older dog, instead of a puppy. (No one ever gets rid of puppies, unless selling them! lol)
    My wife has trained my ex's black lab (13) how to do some pretty basic commands in very short order. The dog comes over when my son is with us.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    I think it's time to get another dog as I am putting in a doggy door this weekend. We'll probably get some rat like mouthy purse dog that makes too much noise if it's up to the wife and kids.

Here's a pic of our newest mouthy purse dog. Actually, she doesn't bark much, loves to play, and is quite laid back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aurelius95; 07-20-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Didn't want to put 3 posts in a row.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius95 View Post
    Not telling this story to discourage you. The 5 Australian Blue Heelers I've encountered in my life were very exceptional dogs. That being said...

My wife's mom has 2 Australian Blue Heelers. The are very smart dogs. However, the big one, Sydney (or Kujo) was born deaf. She loves her masters, my wife, a couple of the neighbors. Anybody who was not introduced to her life when she was a pup, however, she bares her teeth and will lunge if you are not careful.

They did a good job of teaching her commands with sign language, but for some reason, she never adjusted to newcomers.

The other dog is the sweetest thing in the world. Lots of energy, loves to play fetch, and will lick you to death.

maybe because of he deafness she is super sensitive to body language. and has become fearful cause most people didnt pay attention to their body language when they approached here when she was a pup. like shy dogs dont like when you try to pet them overhand the first time you meat them.

that one theory anyways. ive worked with a few fearful dogs kinda like that. it is usually workable. though im not that experienced with it but i have succeeded when i tried so i know it can be done. maybe you should talk to a anamal behaviorist.
    Come share my fire.