Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best companion breed? (Dogs)

I don't think that I expect the companion to be intimidating, but alert and will announce if something is out of the ordinary. My worst fear is that something (or someone) will approach me in the night, by myself in the woods, with the intent to harm.

What got me on this topic was one of my friends, that lived in the woods for a few months (not off the land, just didn't have any other place to stay). He had a dog that would stay with him at all times. It was very loyal and loving. It would follow him everywhere and while in the woods it would not go more than 20'ish feet away (even at night).

Some of the upcoming trips that I take, will be by myself for a night or two. So I want a loyal companion that will aid in company, and alertness; while following the training which will be given. I wouldn't want the dog to go after the threat, so I would need it to "stay" or "RUN" haha.
    Last edited by GRIM2594; 07-16-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Have you considered: Attack Geese........A modist "Thundering herd of attack geese" will do everything you want.

Yeah, but they shed really bad. And there's nothing worse than stepping in goose shed.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I'd say that a Lab would fit the bill just fine.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I agree, Labs are great dogs !

id go with german shepherd. unless you want them to carry stuff cuse i heard that was bad on their backs. but they are so smart and loving.

im getting an elkhound or elkhound (the bf wants me to call them elghund since they werent used for elk and thats what they are called in norway)
    i also hope to get a shikoku inu some day also. they sound like a really good dog and they are the prettiest have seen. i love their wild look.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by owl_girl; 07-16-2010 at 10:44 AM.
    Come share my fire.

Those dogs are pretty cool, Owl girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I have known of a few people who had labs, mostly all behaved very well; and were obedient too.

Banned

But,, labs are long haired,, That the only thing that does not match your needs, they really are GREAT dogs !

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    But,, labs are long haired,, That the only thing that does not match your needs, they really are GREAT dogs !
    labs are not long haired
    Last edited by owl_girl; 07-16-2010 at 10:51 AM.
    Come share my fire.

Blog Entries

Yup, +2 on a Lab. You could have a Labtop Like H63!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ghlight=labtop
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    labs are not long haired
    OOps,, My Bad,, Some are , arent they ? my friend had a golden lab ,, i could have sworn that dog had long hair ??

BTW, thats a BEAUTIFUL dog in your pics above in post 26 !

id bet he had a golden retriever.

pure labs dont have long hair so if not a GR then it was probably a mix
    Last edited by owl_girl; 07-16-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Come share my fire.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    id bet he had a golden retriever.

pure labs dont have long hair so if not a GR then it was probably a mix
    Yep,, Thats it ! ,, was a great dog,

they are great dogs you are right. they are a little more stable and have a longer attention span than most labs in my experience. though i have known a few good labs too labs are usually kinda ADHD
    Come share my fire.

Any dog without mental issues can be trained for basic obedience, but it takes time and patience and is an ongoing process.

I'd agree with a lab too, was my first thought, although some shed pretty bad, especially the longer haired varieties. Especially where kids are involved, I'd shy away from any dog that has a history of being trained for fighting, defense, or attacking people, etc. German sheppard, pincer, boxer, pit bull, chow, rot, They're great dogs and don't deserve the rep some get, but they are what they are.

The thing to keep in mind is even though you can train a dog to do well with kids and such the kids may accidentally provoke it. Happens all the time.

The smartest two dogs I ever knew were police trained black lab and a dob. The black lab was a shorthair like the one owl girl posted and it didn't shed too bad. My uncle's wife had a white sofa and she wasn't complaining.

Also, stay away from herding type dogs. I'd stay away from "most" hunting type dogs too, because, unless you hunt them or run them a lot they can get bored and start chewing up furniture, etc. or just go stir crazy. They generally are not meant to be indoors either. They need room to move.

I think the poodle was a good recommendation, but they can be a little antsy. They make a great hunting dog, except for all the burs that get in their fur, and are very smart and easily trained too. They don't shed much if at all! My uncle had a mini chocolate and it was one of the coolest dogs I ever met. Changed my whole viewpoint of poodles. Extremely obedient and my uncle had it trained well to say the least. Thier fur requires maintenance though.

Most people get dogs based on sterotypes and what they think is cool or cute. I applaud you for taking the time to research it out first.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    I applaud you for taking the time to research it out first.
    Well, I (my family growing up) have had many types of dogs before - but almost all has been a mixed breed. Most of them have not properly been trained either, so I can't use them as a reference. I want this next companion to be properly trained, to make things easier.

I will more than likely go through a dog rescue service, for a specific type of dog breed, after I have decided which would be best for us. At the moment, I believe that a lab may just be in our best interest. I would love to hear from people with well trained Doberman Pinscher(s) though, on their thoughts. (It's one thing to know someone with one, but another to have one raised and trained by you instead.)

Another thing that I was wondering, was if an adult dog is still trainable? If so, how much more difficult is it to train a dog as an adult, lets say 2-3 years old? It is much more realistic that I would be able to rescue an older dog, instead of a puppy. (No one ever gets rid of puppies, unless selling them! lol)
    Last edited by GRIM2594; 07-16-2010 at 06:56 PM.

I prefer to train dumb dogs. Smarter dogs are easily distracted and often smarter than me. I like Dobermans and they are highly intellegent but you have to spend a lot of time with them.

Just about any dog is trainable. Once he understands who the Alpha is then he will do just about whatever you want to please you. The thing I have found with older dogs, especially large ones, is they really try to show dominance over kids, especially young/small kids. I gave up a collie for that very reason. He wouldn't try to hurt them but he had no problem knocking them down and standing over them. He got once but the second time cost him a home.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned