Thread: Ideas for some bamboo I came by?

Default Ideas for some bamboo I came by?

Found a patch of bamboo up near where I do my fishing and hunting. Stopped the other day and asked if I could cut some. Lady told me if I wanted it all, go for it.(probably a good half acre) What I cut so far is from 3/8 to about 1 3/4" in diamiter.

What I had in mind when I cut it was a packframe. Any other sugestions?

oldtrap
    Attached Images Attached Images

flute, arrows, blowguns, pipe
    Come share my fire.

Tiki bar.

wind chimes, bean poles, fire saw, 856 pairs of chop sticks, floor mats, chair, table, knife handles...
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

All I see are fishing poles and pole vault poles. Really short pole vault poles.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

When I took the pic I didn't get far enough back to show the full length of the larger pieces. Some of them are as much as 12 and 14 ft long. What are known as bobby poles are in the plan.

oldtrap

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rivercane, which is very similar to bamboo, was used as a primary building material in my area. I hope to get a chance to start on our hunting hut before the kids go back to school. There must be an acre or more growing on my great-grandad's old place.
    Being airtight and hollow, they float well. Might make a nice summertime raft for dipping in the creek or what-have-you.
    Not sure what they call the poles they use on the gondolas in Venice, but we leave a few large pieces around the dinosaur pond with a john boat. push through the lillypads, jam it in the soft ground, and it doubles as an anchor.
    FVR pointed out before that it has a really sharp edge also when split, so a makeshift blade could be fashioned from it in a pinch.
    If you can find some larger diameter stuff you can boil water and fashion floatable containers with caps or even simple cups.

I'd like to see some of the stuff you come up with. Its a very abundant and versatile material. Great find and I know the lady appreciates you getting it off her property. It's considered an invasive species here.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Tiki bar.

this.

you can never have enough tiki bars. for that matter, the same is true for any thatched bamboo huts in the yard.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

You could make some of those fancy plant supports, trellis and the hoops. you could always wire them together to make a screen.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

This is something I've been wanting to try.

Bamboo Flute
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/kramer42.html
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

scaffolding
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

Camouflage for your bug out location.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Garage for your RV.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

RV for your garage?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Oh, Oh....when I was a kid, we use to make cherry poppers, out of reed. I bet you could make a peach cannon, out of that stuff! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Try placing some of the bamboo across a hot fire. When the air tight tubes heat up, the air forces its way out, making a very loud pop.

My son likes to use the bamboo for a bowstaff.

We just got some neighbors come and remove the bamboo in our backyard. I cut a lot of it down earlier, and the neighbor came and hauled it off. It grows like a weed!
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

As a feller that's always looking to make a buck when possible I do some bisiness with a couple of nurseries, building birdhouses for them as needed.(all out of reclaimed wood) One of the owners came to the house today to pickup some pieces and noticed all the bamboo. Asked me what I was up to with that. Anyway to make a long story short, shes wants me to make up some tellis for her shop. Says maybe 15 or 20 to start. Guess that means it's time to get to work.

Truth is I intend to try some of the ideas you all came up with too. Grandkids thought the flute idea was good. ycc I've been thinking about some of the larger canes still at the site for cups and containers. Still thinkiing on the packframe idea. Wish I knew more about using it to back a bow. Will have to work on that one. As I work on some of these projects I will be posting pics. Thankyou all for the suggestions and a few chuckles.

oldtrap

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    Rivercane, which is very similar to bamboo trellis, was used as a primary building material in my area. I hope to get a chance to start on our hunting hut before the kids go back to school. There must be an acre or more growing on my great-grandad's old place.
    Being airtight and hollow, they float well. Might make a nice summertime raft for dipping in the creek or what-have-you.
    Not sure what they call the poles they use on the gondolas in Venice, but we leave a few large pieces around the dinosaur pond with a john boat. push through the lillypads, jam it in the soft ground, and it doubles as an anchor.
    FVR pointed out before that it has a really sharp edge also when split, so a bamboo trellis makeshift blade could be fashioned from it in a pinch.
    If you can find some larger diameter stuff you can boil water and fashion floatable containers with caps or even simple cups.

I'd like to see some of the stuff you come up with. Its a very abundant and versatile material. Great find and I know the lady appreciates you getting it off her property. It's considered an invasive species here.
    Thank you for this advice...

Maybe small furniture?
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

Hopefully he figured out what to do with it.......12 years ago.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yea that spammer made it seem like it was a newer post, and people at times neglect to see when last post was made I like your Tiki bar idea tho crash just wish he showed us what the final project looked like