Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the strangest thing you ever ate?

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

When I was growing up and butchered a hog we didn't lose anything but the squeal, and if we stuck it right, didn't lose that. The thing I remember after all the other stuff was mastodon meat. I worked close to Safeway International in DC and we would kick in a buck or two, take turns buying odd things just to see if we all would try whatever. With a little beer we managed to try everything they sold.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot
    With a little beer we managed to try everything they sold.
    Even with beer I bet the detergent was tough to wash down. I don't even want to think about the deoderant spray.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Even with beer I bet the detergent was tough to wash down. I don't even want to think about the deoderant spray.
    Those big round pink "breath mints" I've seen in urinals seemed to take the soapy taste out of your mouth.

I had squirrel stew when I was younger. That's as adventurous as I've ever been. And it was enough.

When I lived in Japan, I ate a lot of things raw that I wouldn't normally eat. Chicken, horse and bear, not to mention all sorts of sushi. Uni, which is a sea urchin looks a bit like brains. I couldn't stomach that at all.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    So....Camp.....What say you give me that nasty old lobster you have and I'll give you these delicious field mice?
    Dont know how I missed this the other day... I didnt say delicious, just strangest. Yeah, I'll give you some nasty old lobster..I have to drag some down with me to PA every year. Just meet me around Scranton the weekend after Thanksgiving and you can help yourself to a few in the cooler. Oh, and you can even keep the mice.

I eat a lot of stuff.

I was going to say Uni was probably one of the weirdest. But, its not all that bad. I describe it as an explosion of salt water. The guy who ordered it for me said most folks he knew were not good after trying it and that he threw up after eating it the first time. He said it was an acquired taste. If I throw up after paying that much for a raw friggin sea creature. I ain't acquiring it ever again. LOL

Always, remember though it is in how it is prepared. If your gator was chewy, it wasn't prepared right or a good cut. Frog legs have been served to me under cooked. My brother tried a rocky mountain oyster a few weeks back and said the texture sucked. Mudbugs should be boiled while they are moving and you can keep the corn and potatoes that are boiled with them.

I know lots of people who have tried venison and didn't like it. But, we cook it up and they love it. I do a habenero mustard gator tenderloin that everybody likes. Works good on yard bird also.
    Anyone eat civiche? Ever made it? I like civiche made with hot peppers. I am one day going to catch some fish at camp and use the sour orange juice to cook it.

Usually when we buy Civiche we also buy leche de tigre.

Green mangos with salt?

Ripe mangos with dried hot peppers?

Fresh water snapping turtle, snake, squid, octopus (raw and cooked), ants, various inards.

If you will prepare it for me. I will eat it with you.

Lord. I just threw up a little.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Octopus???? Never, never again. Raw, slid down. Dried, chewed for an hour and finally spit it out. Did watch a drunk at a raw bar try to chew a couple of oysters.

I was anti squid and octopus for awhile. But, I have had raw and fried squid that is super tender and tasty. I just decided to give octopus a try again at a sushi bar and it was tender as hell and raw.

That's why I said have someone who swears it is good prepare it.

any of you have haggis before? its not bad. i got a friend that goes fishing in the river(detroit river) and eats all the fish he catches. dude that water is so poluted i swear you can find some fish that have 3 eyes out there, so that seems kinda wierd to me.
    "Tada gan iarracht" (nothing without effort)

And Shepherds we shall be
    For thee, my Lord, for thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    In Nomeni Patri Et Fili
    Spiritus Sancti.
    -Boondock Saints

I eat haggis when I go to the Scottish festival. Bangers and mash and a McEwan's or two usually also.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I eat haggis when I go to the Scottish festival. Bangers and mash and a McEwan's or two usually also.
    not really a fan of mashed potatos. potatos baked, fried, or in a stew are great, its just something about the texture of mashed that i dont like. i dont like food that feels like its already been chewed
    "Tada gan iarracht" (nothing without effort)

And Shepherds we shall be
    For thee, my Lord, for thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    In Nomeni Patri Et Fili
    Spiritus Sancti.
    -Boondock Saints

Blog Entries

I've had the pleasure to dine on; dog, cat, variety of birds, snakes, buried cabbage, almost hached eggs, and a variety of raw fish.

Don't eat insects...well on purpose that is.

I no longer eat raw fish.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    I've had the pleasure to dine on; dog, cat, variety of birds, snakes, buried cabbage, almost hached eggs, and a variety of raw fish.

Don't eat insects...well on purpose that is.

I no longer eat raw fish.
    Lol! That is the strangest buffet I've ever heard of! I've had bird, snake,raw fish (I'm with you, I'll cook it from now on) and possibly cat..they closed the place down and I never learned why but where did you get dog meat from?

Dried mopani worms are a local treat and doesn't taste that bad.I amused the kids the other day by eating black ants.We used to eat them when we were children ourselves.They taste sour.I had snake,crocodile,shark,various innards of animals,cooked chicken feet,wild birds,all sorts of game(of that we have a wide variety),porcupine,baked pigs head and ostrige before.That is about the strangest that I have had.I grew up poor and if it was edible we ate it.

My step mother in laws meat loaf. Well at least she said it was meat loaf. We haven't had it it a long time thanks to my son. He took one bite,chewed it a few times.Opened his mouth,then tilted his head forward so it could fall out.He looked at us and said Dont Like.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

B2L - What on earth can you eat on a chicken's foot? There's nothing there.

Stargazer - Tell the truth. You worked with that boy for a week, didn't you?

Who me? It got real quiet at the dinner table after that. Do you have any idea how hard it is to eat when you have an ear to ear grin.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

Ken-You boil them in salt water and take the skin of then you suck the meat from the bones.There is a jelly like "meat" on the bones.If you prepare it right it is very tasty.It is sold here in the bucheries.Some bucheries sells the heads as well.