Thread: Anybody here ever ate a Pigeon ?

Banned

Default Anybody here ever ate a Pigeon ?

There are a couple dozen pigeons that hang around the apt complex here, These birds are very healthy, some of the older folks here feed them regularly (although its illegal), anyway, First I was noticing how beautiful some of them are, multi colors, The second thing i noticed was how big they are, a couple of those would make a pretty good meal, (size wise), I seen a Chef cook some squab on tv and it looked delicious , so how say you ? ever tried it ?

When they fly around grain elevators and crap on statues during the summer, we call them pidgeons and we NEVER eat them. When September hunting season rolls around we call them doves and they taste mighty fine!

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

I've eaten pidgeon. Only ones that live out on my farm, and eat mostly grain. Actually not bad.

Blog Entries

I know a buttload of homeless dudes that eat city pidgeons all the time. Seriously I do, and they eat the he11 outta them too. I have never tried any pidgeon.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

pigeon is a good eat. Much better than crow.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

We shoot them each year in the sunflower fields.They make very nice stews and pies with a nice gravy.I shoot only the rockpidgeons around the house because they make a mess of the roof.I haven't tasted crow yet.

Blog Entries

Pigeon is very good.
    Here's a little youtube doodad that shows a quick way to prepare birds. Just ignore Gordon.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I grew up eating dove and farm pigeon. My dad used to stuff them with grapes and garlic and wrap them in bacon. There were farm pigeons that ate grain and seeds. I steer clear of city pigeons that were raised on cigarette butts and old gum.
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    I've had to eat a lot of crow in my life!

Ate a few piggies, too.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Where I live there is a pidgeon plant, farmed pidgeons sold for their meat. It is one of the oldest businesses in town over 100yrs. old. I have never tried it.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Pigeon is awesome... i would not advise city pigeon m8 because pigeon is like a rat, they eat all the stuff that comes their way... i would also not let them on your house building their **** is corrosive and will take a piece of your roof in some years...

this is how i would cook it.

A) just like chicken soup, its a delicatessen were i live...

b) Fry them in garlic \ olive oil \ salt and put some white wine. Some pepers smashed or not depends on taste. The more simple you do it the best it is in my humble opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    you eat crow m8? its like a popular knowledge here that crow is not edible i mean maybe edible but no palatable...

Section dove into pieces and fry in a liberal portion of butter over low heat with chopped onions, season with salt, pepper, and fresh crushed garlic. Once the onions are cooked and the meat browned remove the meat and add about a cup of fresh squeezed orange juice. Let the juice and butter simmer down to a sauce and add the meat back in at the end to heat it back up.
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

When I was a kid we hunted, processed, cooked and ate feral pigeons a lot. They're good over an open fire, but can get pretty tough if you let em sit too long.

I've ate mourning doves too and they're just as tasty.

Banned

Ok, Y'all convinced me, Time to start training them to come to the BBQ when i whistle

Quote Originally Posted by Blasfemo View Post
    you eat crow m8? its like a popular knowledge here that crow is not edible i mean maybe edible but no palatable...
    Eating crow is an expression that you are probably not familiar with. It's an expression that means you have been wrong, are a bit humiliated, and admit your error.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Have a friend that raises and flies preforming rollers. Have known him for years and over that time I have ate alot of his castoffs. (he raises from 300=400 each year) Not all he raises are good preformers.

Maranade them in white wine,salt and pepper for about 8 hours then fry the breasts in olive oil.

oldtrap

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Ok, Y'all convinced me, Time to start training them to come to the BBQ when i whistle
    Just get a whole bunch o' leg hold traps and bury em in grain. When the first one bites it usually sets off a chain reaction that takes out a few others in the process. Of course you'd only wanna do that if it's legal.