Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Have You Done this Summer?

Default What Have You Done this Summer?

Sorry I've been away for so long....just been so busy.

So far this summer I have:
    1) rebuilt another car with the hubby & am about to start on another
    2) took my 17-yr old daughter on a week long camping/backpacking trip to Canada as part of her graduation gift
    3) enrolled my youngest daughter (12 yrs old) in hunter's safety course (to begin next week)
    4) am finishing up a BOB for my 17-yr-old to take to college with her
    5) reading LOTS....have put "One Second After" on my library hold
    6) hubby and I have started building my 7-yr-old boy a treehouse/fort (the neighbors are encouraging him to shoot squirrels from the deck with his bb gun)
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    the treehouse/fort is 8 ft tall, deck is 11'X11', house to still be built, but will be 6'X6'

I have been working for my dad's landscaping company.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Work
    Play (at the creek)
    Wild edibles discovery and identification
    fishing on the creek
    swapped transmissions in a toyota 4x4 with my uncle
    Got our old car running again. Gonna get battery, tag and insurance for it soon.
    exploring new management area and foraging all over it.
    gardening.
    It's been a big summer for me, especially with all the plants that grow here for me to identify. My main focus has been wild plants, and cooling off at the creek, which I intend to do this afternoon when it's too hot to be on a roof.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

ycc, considering you're in southern Georgia, it should be too hot to be on a roof at 2 a.m. lol

Pretty much been working my butt off. We have about 40 people move out every week and every house has to be painted. Been working 12 hour days 6 days a week with no end in sight. Always tired and grumpy. One good thing is we bought anew camper and fixed it up.

The end of August my wife and I are taking a week off to head North to Fairbanks to see the Ice Hotel and drive up the Dalton to the Arctic Circle. Plan on stopping by Mount Mckinley too.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

gardening, work, installed new AC, planned out new window, water heater and attic insulation for the next paycheck to try and bring the heating/cooling efficiency up a tad.

inspected the sprinkler system, tackled the re-growth of the demonic Wysteria vine in the back, used the old compost and started new pile.

most importantly: i've hibernated in a deep, cool hole in the ground to escape the sun's persecution.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

1) Worked
    2) Took the family on a 2 week vacation out west.
    3) Worked
    4) Gardened
    5) Worked
    6) Went fishing twice
    7) Worked
    8) Made 4.5 gallons of salsa from the veggies out of my garden.
    9) Worked.

Y"all see how it has been and will continue to keep going.

swamprat, please feel free to send any left over salsa my way

Mountain Mama I wish I could, but to do that you have to be able to can. My canning skills are horrible, so we cook, blend and freeze our salsa. Unfortunately, I don't think it would ship very well.

Not a damn thing!!!! Since i tore my acl i've been stuck sitting around and staying off my knee. Got lots of work done on my stamp collection, But the fence, house need paint. Need to put on a new roof. Would like to go camping a few times, but if i can't work i can't afford to do all that. It suck being on light duty at a Fire Station, doing all the paper work and everyone else is out making time and a half. Workers comp really slow the process down. but i hope to be back on the fireline in 2 months.

Salsa for me is tomato, jalapeno, onion, lime juice and cilantro. Maybe some Habenero. It is never cooked. Always served room temperature or cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Salsa for me is tomato, jalapeno, onion, lime juice and cilantro. Maybe some Habenero. It is never cooked. Always served room temperature or cooler.

I like it that way as well and we make fresh salsa every couple of days. But when you have 64 tomato plants, 20 jalapeno plants, plenty of onions, cilantro, etc. and your family likes salsa year round you have to freeze some for the non growing season. Hopefully I will have another 4 gallons before the tomatoes quit producing.

My tomatoes are just now producing some fruit. I wish I had planted some cilantro and peppers this year, but other things took my attention Maybe next year. I think I'll head to the farmers market to get the other fixin's for salsa. Yours sounds so yummy!

We worked on the treehouse/fort yesterday and got the flooring planks down. Then, today we built the walls. Next weekend it will be the roof, door, and windows. Then we'll be done

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

This summer I've been up to the lake, witnessed a tornado, played tonsel hockey with a baby deer, and took out a university linebacker with a cashew. Interesting summer. lol

Tonsel hockey? (I may be sorry I asked)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm with you, Rick, I was wondering, but thought it safer to ask how a cashew would take out a linebacker.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

The tonsel hockey thing... I was trying to feed a baby deer a carrot out of my teeth and it grabbed the carrot, and reached it's tongue into my mouth. Kinda gross, but I'll never forget it. And the cashew... The guy just woke up in the morning, and was pretty grumpy. I ticked him off a bit, and he jokingly came at me. I had a handfull of salted cashews in my hand. So i grabbed one and chucked it at him. Got him right in the jibbs. He went straight down. haha. poor guy.

I've been going to school, outside of that not much. I'm usually out fishing and gathering wild edibles, but really haven't had the motivation or time to do it like I'm used to.

Working, making stuff, back in the gym, starting to do a few walks in the woods (sparingly).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

mostly working, getting stuff together to get into massage therapy school, researching, but i did do some camping this early summer/ late spring.

Last edited by owl_girl; 07-12-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    Come share my fire.