Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Electric Chainsaw

Update, Having used it a few months now I have found it's limitations and full usefullness. My barrel stove requires large logs to burn any lenght of time and this saw will die within two cuts of a 6 inch frozen log, but it will cut several days worth of smaller stuff up to 3 or 4 inches that burn well in my modern airtight stove. Final opinion is it's a great saw for small brush that would burn in newer stoves or smaller camp stoves but should not be considered for anything else. It sure is easy to grab it and sled and cut a few days worth of wood and be back inside 30 minutes later.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Update, Having used it a few months now I have found it's limitations and full usefullness. My barrel stove requires large logs to burn any lenght of time and this saw will die within two cuts of a 6 inch frozen log, but it will cut several days worth of smaller stuff up to 3 or 4 inches that burn well in my modern airtight stove. Final opinion is it's a great saw for small brush that would burn in newer stoves or smaller camp stoves but should not be considered for anything else. It sure is easy to grab it and sled and cut a few days worth of wood and be back inside 30 minutes later.
    how much actual time do you have on it now?

Hard to guage but I would guess about 15 hours. I've had to sharpen chain twice. Does that help.

yes, I am curious as to how durable it is going to be.

I have similar concerns but at this point it has paid for itself. I make sure I change batteries as soon as it slows down and don't arc motor hoping this will help lifespan. It does not have the power to have serious wear. I think electric motor is probably the weak point. Not sure how long batterries will last either. I'll update when it craps out completely.

the battery discharge (and therefore cutting efficiency per amp/hour) will be greatly determined by cutting resistance, thanks to heat loss increasing with load.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't see this being very useful in the North in the winter time, though, unless you have maybe micro hydro or windpower. I don't know about you, but our solar panel is utterly useless from about mid-October until mid-February, so you'd need some other gas guzzling machinery to charge the saw.
    I don't go for this bugging out stuff but if the idea is to go from A to B with all sorts of supplies being unavailable, I'd opt for a plain old handsaw. Just my $0.02
    Actions speak louder than words

I would agree that I'd rather have a regular saw for a BOL situation. That and I'm not much of a fan of black and decker, which it looks like is the maker.

However, simply for the "neat" factor, it works.

This saw has its limitations but it also has its usefulness. When used within the limited context I have mentioned it serves me well but expanding it beyond that would be a stretch. I know it is easier for me than lugging around a gas chainsaw and much easier than using a hand saw. It is most suitable for small wood and I would say almost useless for anything over 3 inches in diameter, but when it comes to gathering a sled full of alder from the woods next to my house it kicks ***!

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I will admit to using a cordless recip saw to cut down a small pine tree and it worked fine with a Big Ugly blade. I only did it because I was too lazy to get the Sthil. I guess a cordless anything has a use and I am partial to DeWalt for some reason.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

Have you cut anything hard like oak? I'd consider that saw rather than carrying the Jonsered around in the truck.
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazito View Post
    Have you cut anything hard like oak? I'd consider that saw rather than carrying the Jonsered around in the truck.
    I don't have that particular saw, but my little 10" Remington electric goes through oak just fine with a sharp chain....it is corded though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So after carrying my 14" chainsaw around in my trucks all these years, (last time I left it home, I needed it?), I might consider one.
    Maybe even check out Harbor Freight, as I don't plan to use it much.

Crash, I have a couple of the Remington electric saws as well, one on the pole and one on sale at Menard's for $28 bucks, (no brain-er), and are really handy if next to a plug.
    If you need to cut a piece or two, and don't want to fill the chain oil-er, gas, and fight the gas saws.

Too bad Dewalt or Milwaukee doesn't make one (yet?), as the batteries form these tools fit a lot of different units.
    I'll never buy a Black and Decker any longer as even like voltages use different batteries.
    Same with Craftsman (mostly made by B&D).

Battery life is really effected by the cold so the more fresh batteries you have the better off you are.
    Found this out installing roof top HVAC units units in the winter.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The quality does not even come close to a Milwaukee so I use it tenderly.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So after carrying my 14" chainsaw around in my trucks all these years, (last time I left it home, I needed it?), I might consider one.
    Maybe even check out Harbor Freight, as I don't plan to use it much.

Crash, I have a couple of the Remington electric saws as well, one on the pole and one on sale at Menard's for $28 bucks, (no brain-er), and are really handy if next to a plug.
    If you need to cut a piece or two, and don't want to fill the chain oil-er, gas, and fight the gas saws.

Too bad Dewalt or Milwaukee doesn't make one (yet?), as the batteries form these tools fit a lot of different units.
    I'll never buy a Black and Decker any longer as even like voltages use different batteries.
    Same with Craftsman (mostly made by B&D).

Battery life is really effected by the cold so the more fresh batteries you have the better off you are.
    Found this out installing roof top HVAC units units in the winter.
    I use it for work from time to time. I can't carry around my Stihl and gas all the time, but this, coupled with a power inverter works like a champ.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So, OK y'all talked me into it.

Bought a Ryobi, iron battery, same as a couple of my drill/drivers.
    Don't have the drills/drivers here, so as both are 18v I'm hoping the batteries are the same. work on everything, that will give me 4 batteries.

We have been hauling out lighter pine logs, and I wanted to cut a few, should work quietly at the deer lease.

My service truck I used a inverter to charge my work tools thru the 115 charger.
    My old black ford has a plug for 12 power in the bed for inverter powered cooler, and also worked good for power tools.
    Wired into lighting circuit, so is only powered up when lights are on, saved dead batteries.

Haven't wird up the new truck yet, but I'm sure it will work as well.
    Checked out Harbor Freight, they didn't have any, and I don't think Milwaukee makes one.
    So we will give this a try..........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

18v batteries are interchangeable between 18v devices of the same manufacturer so you should be good.

and just make sure you know:
    18v lithium ion batteries can be used on standard 18v devices of the same manufacturer. Standard 18v batteries usually cannot be put into the lithium ion devices. Standard 18v batteries MIGHT be able to be charged by lithium ion chargers. DO NOT put lithium ion batteries in standard chargers.

Dewalt does make a battery powered reciprocating saw and circular saw, but those tend to eat batteries, so not sure how much they would get through. They are also more limited than a chainsaw in their application.

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

Default Black and Decker / Dewalt same company

In 1992, Black & Decker started a major effort to rebrand its professional quality and high-end power tools to DeWalt. Currently, DeWalt manufactures and sells more than 200 different power hand-tools and 800 accessories.

Per wiki-pedia
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazito View Post
    In 1992, Black & Decker started a major effort to rebrand its professional quality and high-end power tools to DeWalt. Currently, DeWalt manufactures and sells more than 200 different power hand-tools and 800 accessories.

Per wiki-pedia
    Its been a long known fact that Dewalt and Black and Decker are the same company, just one product is dirt cheap for the person who will use it once a year and dewalt is more of a professional grade. I don't remember who owns what, but pretty much everything equivalent tool you see at Home Depot (Dewalt, Rigid, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, etc) also makes a crappy product. I believe one of the few is Hilti, and Hilti is one hell of a product (especially older models), but costs a lot more in general.