Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing

Default buggers

you can't beat buggers, there is no one color sceme. they catch fish anywhere and just about any fish. I prefer to put tungsten beadheads and rubber legs on mine.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

I have a question about fly floatant. Does it repel the water from the fly, or does it just keep the hackle and everything from "bunching up". Know what I mean?

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flandersander View Post
    I have a question about fly floatant. Does it repel the water from the fly, or does it just keep the hackle and everything from "bunching up". Know what I mean?
    The kind I use does a little of both. It makes the feathers repel water (for a little while) which keeps them from bunching together. I honestly don't dry fly fish much, since most of my fishing is for panfish and is done just below the surface. I used to fish for trout when I lived in Arkansas and tried dry flies for trout. But even then I used a OD woolly booger more than anything else.

Oh okay. So if It keeps it from munching up, do you put it on a wet fly too? Even as I type it, I realize it's a stupid question, but...

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

I don't think it would help any since the water pressure would collapse the feathers, and I don't see the need on a streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
    you can't beat buggers, there is no one color sceme. they catch fish anywhere and just about any fish. I prefer to put tungsten beadheads and rubber legs on mine.
    I didn't know that boog........oh wait - you said buggers. Never mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Okay, so YCC has convinced my to do a little fly tying tutorial. I'll show how to tie the wooly bugger. Here we go:

What you need:
    A hook- I used a #8.
    3/0 Thread- I used red for demonstration purposes
    Wooly Maribou
    Meduim chenille
    #8 or 10 Grizzly hackle
    Head cement

After my #8 hook was in the vise, I wrapped red 3/0 thread from the head to the begining of the bend.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Then I took my black wooly maribou feather and did a little trick to make it easier to work with. I licked it. HAHA. This makes it easier to hold onto, and tie to the hook, as you can see it would be.

After the maribou was wettet, I tied it onto the hook, leaving about a hook's length for the tail. Just a rule of thumb, because when the fish strikes the fly, it'll just grab the tail instead of the hook, which obviously isn't what you're after.

At this point, I take my thread and bobbin, and wind it back up to the head. Leave your bobbin hang, and go back to the maribou. At this point, you twist it a bit, once or twice, and wrap it in the same direction you wrap your thread. Up to the head of the hook. I like to leave about 4 mm of bare hook to form the head at the end.

Now wind your thread back to the begining of the bend. This is where you will attatch your medium chenille. After it is secured to the hook, wrap your thread back up to the head.

Now wrap the chenille in the same fashon you did with the maribou. In the same direction as your thread, to about 4mm from the eye, and tie it off.

At this point, all there is left to do is attatch the hackle. Take your thread, and wrap it back down to the begining of the bend, as you have been doing with every step. Tie on the hackle, and wrap your thread up to the eye again.

Now you have to do something called palmering the hackle. All that means is wrapping it around tightly, so each tiny part of the feather "sticks out" from the fly. It's difficult to explain, but you will know if you do this step correctly. This is the step where your fly actually looks like a fly.

And that's the fly. All there is left to do is build up a bit of a head, and tie it off. After that is all done, add a little head cement to secure all your work, and let it dry for a few minutes, and you're done!

Please feel free to ask questions and add your comments.
    Last edited by flandersander; 07-14-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Had to add some rep for that. Very good job. I've never tied and I've never seen a fly tied before. You make it look almost easy. Thanks! +1

Blue, look, a wooly bugger.
    Don't do it, Red. It's already been licked.
    Well, Eeeeuuuuh. What is this stream coming to?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Believe me rick, this pattern can be gotten the hang of quickly. This is my favorite fly. Not only does it work, but it's the first pattern that I tied. Please feel free to make suggestions and criticizms. Maybe suggestions on camera angles to help you get a better feel for it? There is a variation of this fly that I also like. It's called the Wooly Worm. You replace the maribou with about 3 inches of yarn. You do the same thing, except you don't have to lick the yarn. Tie it on, leaving a hook's length for the tail, wrap it around and tie it off 4mm from the head. A slick little fly I turn to if the fish become used to the sight of the wooly bugger.
    Last edited by flandersander; 07-14-2010 at 08:07 PM.

I have a few questions about trout fishing. I've always just kinda tossed out a few of my favorite flies, and always caught a few trout, but I've been wondering. I'm going to a saltwater lake, where there is a trout pond... My question is, does "matching the hatch" make a big difference?

Nymphs and wooly buggers are pretty universal for wet fly fishing. If it's allowed, power bait seems to piss off most trout.

Dry fly? Yes, matching the hatch is a very good idea. If you don't know the area well enough, find a local fly shop and ask the guy behind the counter what's hatching. Or scout the stream the first day and see for yourself what's on the water.

Dry flying is tricky. The flies have to match the hatch, time of day has to be right, size of the fly has to be right, sunlight has to be right, presentation HAS to be right.

I am just learning how to fly fish. Been doing it for the better part of 10 years and feel like a beginner. I really like any colored wooly bugger, brown moth patterns and mosquito patterns. Here lately I have also been using felt eggs in the small creeks for cutthroat.

Not sure how I missed this tutorial before, but well done FS.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I haven't been fishing in quite a while. I used to be a fanatic about it, including tying my own flies. I did on occasion experiment with new creations, and found one that the river trout went beserk over. It's a nymph, short little thing, about 3/4" long or less, black hackle along the top, layed back, pale yellow body. I haven't seen any bugs that looked like that in the area, but the trout don't know that, lol.

Banned

I use mostly "March Brown's," in sizes from 16 - 24 for most of my catches, they seem to work very well everywhere and most times of the year. I use an Orvis 1 ounce, 1 wgt - 2 piece 2 tip 6'6" Superfine with a vintage Hardy Silent Check reel for most of my general light fly fishing. I have been fly fishing for about 20 years now. Used to work at Pine Lake Trout Club in Geauga County Ohio. Molly Perkins (of the Orvis Perkins family fame) used to own it along with a shop in Chagrin Falls Ohio. I was the club pro shop Mgr as well as the fly casting instructor. Then she sold Pine Lake to a Japanese hotel firm, they now use it to send their employees on resort vacation fly fishing trips.

My actual fav rod to use now is a vintage Eagle Claw/Granger - Special 4wgt 5 piece 2 tip 7'6" back pack rod with a vintage Heddon reel. I usually use Wulff Tri Taper line and I make my own tippets and leaders from AbuGarcia older Royal Bonnel lines (light brown). I used to tie flies, but with my sight the way it is now, I rarely get the chance.

My most prized rod is a 1969 Orvis - Split Bamboo - Superfine - 6'6" 2 piece - 2 tip with all the orig paper work, hang tags, plaid cloth bag and the tube.

Here are a few pics of last years catches with various equipment.

I'm in agreement with Rick. Tying flies when the eyesite fades is a little rough. I have an assortment of wooly boogers, and some scad flies. It kind of depends on the time of day, and what the fish are hitting on at the time. Being in southern California, it takes a few hoiurs to get to a good creek, (not like growing up in Northern Michigan). The Kern River has some golden trout, and they put up a scrap almost as good as a brookie.

You can take a piece of paracord inner strands, attach attach to a hook with a piece of inner strand that has been stripped to it's smallest diameter and you'll have a fly. Use a piece of paracord and fray the inner strands and you'll have a lure.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make...-Fishing-Lure/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quick tip for anybody wanting to learn to tie flies, if you are close to a Bass Pro they guys in the fly shop will probably be happy to give you a tying lesson. When I was wanting to learn I was looking at fly tying stuff in the Bass Pro fly shop and the guy that ties the handmade flies showed me how to tie a wooly bugger. Only cost me 37 cents for the materials and the guy felt bad having to charge me that lol
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Thanks for that post. There is no fly I would rather have than a #8 Olive Wolly Bugger with a gold bead head in my box. Have caught just about everything with it that swims in fesh water.
    Can money pay for all the days we lived awake but half asleep?"

Blog Entries

Cool How about...

Quote Originally Posted by uscgme2 View Post
    Thanks for that post. There is no fly I would rather have than a #8 Olive Wolly Bugger with a gold bead head in my box. Have caught just about everything with it that swims in fesh water.
    Let's not forget the "Chernobyl Ant!" My son came up last March and bought me a nice Peak Rotary Vise at our local Bass Pro Shop so I'm getting back into tying! Both the "ant" & the "WB" are my favorites as they're really easy to tie.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin