Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Default Fly fishing

After a quick search around the site, I found there was little to no info about fly fishing. So I've got my setup, and I want to start tieing flies. Is there any specific patterns or setups anybody likes for certain species? I've found the "wooly bugger" pattern in lime green rather good for rainbow trout in early to mid summer. On my little lake anyways. What do you like?

I fly fish for pan fish mostly, Red Ear and Blue Gill. I have to tell you it really depends for the fly. I guess my favs are a white ant, an assortment of dry flies or a small popper in that order. Anything cheap from Wally World. I don't tie my own. I have enough trouble seeing to tie the darn things on the end of the line.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Muddler Minnow works well both wet and dry, and hornbergs in any colour work well. If you carry fishing line in your BOB, a couple of each of these would be worth their weight in gold should you need them. They sure won't weigh you down or take up much space.

One of my favorite rigs is a "Hopper and Dropper" use a nice big dry grasshopper to sit on top of the water (your hopper)- then tie a tippet section 12" to 24" long off the hook of the hopper- with a nymph on it (your dropper) to go sub-surface....then cast that outfit above a hole and let it drift into where you think the fish are...and wham! Maybe even catch two fish at once! HA....
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FS, I'd be glad to send you a deer tail to tie some flies from. PM me your addy if you're interested!
    Here on the creek and up in the sloughs of the rivers, I like to use the willow-fly or black ant. I fly fish with a bream buster though.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I like the Royal Coachman. Just about any ant pattern and a few grass hoppers thrown in too.Wooly buggers are great and easy to tie.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

I like fishing Speckled Trout with dry flies, a olive coloured Dun with a #4 or #5 rod is a riot with these babies!
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    I like the Royal Coachman. Just about any ant pattern and a few grass hoppers thrown in too.Wooly buggers are great and easy to tie.
    If you could only have one fly pattern to fish all around the world- all times of year...supposedly the Royal Coachman is the one. I've read that its most productive pattern of all time
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Quote Originally Posted by DOGMAN View Post
    If you could only have one fly pattern to fish all around the world- all times of year...supposedly the Royal Coachman is the one. I've read that its most productive pattern of all time

The Wooly Worm/Wooly Bugger patern have caught fish all over the world,both in fresh water and salt water.From tiny brokk trout to giant tarpon.
    Forward by Lefty Kreh in the book Wooly Wisdom. Tying Recipes for 400 paterns of Woolly's

The only fly you need in your kit,Learn to cast with just the fly line using your arm,no rod & reel just the fly,leader and line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
    The Wooly Worm/Wooly Bugger patern have caught fish all over the world,both in fresh water and salt water.From tiny brokk trout to giant tarpon.
    Forward by Lefty Kreh in the book Wooly Wisdom. Tying Recipes for 400 paterns of Woolly's

The only fly you need in your kit,Learn to cast with just the fly line using your arm,no rod & reel just the fly,leader and line.
    Yeah, the wooly bugger is a great streamer/wet fly- that can't be debated. But, the RC is tough to beat for an all-around performing Dry fly. And to me, thats what fly fishing is all about- casting to rising fish, and watching them sip a fly off the surface of the water. Sub-surface fishing is productive...but it cant compare to seeing a fish rise to take your fly...thats what fly-fishing is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGMAN View Post
    Yeah, the wooly bugger is a great streamer/wet fly- that can't be debated. But, the RC is tough to beat for an all-around performing Dry fly. And to me, thats what fly fishing is all about- casting to rising fish, and watching them sip a fly off the surface of the water. Sub-surface fishing is productive...but it cant compare to seeing a fish rise to take your fly...thats what fly-fishing is all about.
    That's my favorite part of fishing too. I like catching pike on a large wooden plug. That way, you can watch them come flying out of the water at your lure. Hmm... Maybe I'll try to tie up a fly that'll catch pikes. Never seen a royal coachman before, maybe I'll have to look into it. Does anybody tie their own flies? Oh, YCC, YGPM.

Blog Entries

Deer tails are shipping out as soon as I can swing by the post office.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief View Post

I am 100% in agreement with Mischief. The wooly bugger is the best all around catch everything fly made. I am also very fond of the sponge ant or spider for panfish.

Does anyone know were I can purchase the sponge ovals or circles to tie my own sponge spiders?

Do you mean a material for the legs, or the body material? I think both can be had at cabela's.
    Body material- http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

leg material- http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...546&id=0024666

Quote Originally Posted by flandersander View Post
    Do you mean a material for the legs, or the body material? I think both can be had at cabela's.
    Body material- http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

leg material- http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...546&id=0024666
    Thanks flandersander. The body was my main concern, but those links should help a bunch.

And, to be honest with you, I don't buy much "fly tying material", although I do make plenty of stops down at the craft store, if you know what I mean. Pretty much the same thing, and cheaper. I also end up with a lot of one-of-a-kind flies. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by flandersander View Post
    And, to be honest with you, I don't buy much "fly tying material", although I do make plenty of stops down at the craft store, if you know what I mean. Pretty much the same thing, and cheaper. I also end up with a lot of one-of-a-kind flies. haha.
    I know what you mean about "one of a kind flies"; I tried to tie some with dog hair one time it looked OK until it got wet - oh well you win some you lose some.............
    Last edited by Swamprat1958; 07-11-2010 at 09:25 AM.

hey mate im in south australia and i usally tie crazy charlies on a 1/0 hook for black bream in our local estuary at the glenelg river in a chartruse and pearl .they fight like a bass but i reckon better eating lots of fun
    also our aussi salmon are great fighting fish but not much of a chew,

Blog Entries

I used to get this catalog. I just wanted some of the worm-making rigs and beetlespin body molds, etc. but they have lots of stuff. wood blanks for lures, bills for divers, poppers. They were reliable for what little stuff I ordered from them and they carry all sorts of boating supplies and fishing poles. This link is to the fly-tying section.
    http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fly-tying/

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

That's one helluva link. Thanks!