Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heatwave

Blog Entries

Default Heatwave

Tommorow is going to be a hot one.
    Excessive high heat warnings have been issued for the northeast.
    N.Y. is going to be in the triple digets. With the humidity thats like the 7th level of hades.
    Toranto already has had transformers blow up and lost power to many homes.
    Be watchfull the little ones and the elderly are getting enough water and put off mowing the grass for a couple of days.
    I see Araizona will be up around 105, thats no cool breeze.
    Around Burlington, Vt. there calling for 96. Yikes. im gonna melt!!
    Canada has in the past caused cascading grid failures leaving millions without power.
    Im glad my generator will be here tommorow.
    Finally some global warming
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

It's been deadly here today. Crawled out 4 blocks to a Thai restaurant and right back home. Got extra water delivered 3 days ago just in case.
    Hope the electricity doesn't decide to go off.

Banned

105 isnt so bad here, its a dry heat, actually, we are cooler than normal, come August 120 is the norm for here, Hang in there and drink lots of Ice water

Blog Entries

If i recall correctly N.Y. had a bad power loss many years ago during a really hot summer. I think a movie was made about it. But it was long ago and the memery aint what it used to be.
    Thank god,
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

Oh I remember it well. It was August I think, especially hot and no breeze. The outage lasted less than 48hrs, but it was deadly. Thank god there was water and you could still take long showers and flush. That puts me in mind to have a battery operated fan to at least move air around--especially useful say, if you took a cold shower, didn't dry off and turned the fan on.

Man last night we about froze here. Had our sweats on while we were sitting in the camper. Rainy and dreary too but today the sun came out a bit and got up to 65.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

I do much better in cold weather unless I'm on water so I can take a dip. Tomorrow's forecast is 99F. I guess I'll take a bus to work, not a subway. Descending down to the pit is like descending to hades.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    Man last night we about froze here. Had our sweats on while we were sitting in the camper. Rainy and dreary too but today the sun came out a bit and got up to 65.

Im looking forward to it getting down to 65.
    Its almost 10 pm here and its still 83 deg. outside.
    WHen its -20 here in the winter you'll still think were having a heatwave
    Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by huntermj View Post
    If i recall correctly N.Y. had a bad power loss many years ago during a really hot summer. I think a movie was made about it. But it was long ago and the memery aint what it used to be.
    Thank god,
    Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Oh I remember it well. It was August I think, especially hot and no breeze. The outage lasted less than 48hrs, but it was deadly. Thank god there was water and you could still take long showers and flush. That puts me in mind to have a battery operated fan to at least move air around--especially useful say, if you took a cold shower, didn't dry off and turned the fan on.
    I was home on leave when the blackout of 1977 happened. I was with several friends, kicked back, having a couple of beers. We were sitting in a back yard in Atlantic Highlands, looking at the lights from NYC. All of a sudden, New York went dark. Very eerie feeling.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You know its hot when you sit in the shade and still sweat your *** off.
    I am working full time for my dad's landscaping company so i am out all day long in the sun. Not as bad as i thought. If you just suck it up, it becomes less of an uncomfortable thing. Just drink lots of water and keep going at it. It also helps that when i get a good tan, i dont sun burn so easy. I havent put on sunblock all summer and havent gotten sunburnt. So far it has gotten 95 degrees but it never really gets above 100.
    Last edited by justin_baker; 07-06-2010 at 12:27 AM.

good thing im going camping tomorrow O_o

although, my main state, CA has actually been pretty mild this year.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

Yeah, It is going to be bad the next few days. And it hasn't rained in a while so things are drying up. Yesterday I went on a 3 mile hike and all the stream beds were just damp mud.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

I'm not looking forward to work today. I have already been called in to change out 4 transformers this weekend. When you add all the extra load that a holiday adds to the mix, this heat is just death to transformers. We changed one out last night that was to hot to touch even with a pair of gloves on! It was overloaded, the troubleshooter reset it once and it went back out in about an hour. It is kind of fun though to re-energize around 11 at night and watch all the houses light up and see all the people inside dealing with the heat and assuming that they are safe from outside eyes in the dark!

Justin Baker - It is still important to wear sunscreen, even if you have a tan. The UV radiation can still cause long term damage to your skin even if you are not getting sun burned.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I was home on leave when the blackout of 1977 happened. I was with several friends, kicked back, having a couple of beers. We were sitting in a back yard in Atlantic Highlands, looking at the lights from NYC. All of a sudden, New York went dark. Very eerie feeling.
    The blackout I experienced was in 2003. It's the one where the power surge in Canada affected the entire transmission grid and left many states, including NY in the dark.

The blackout I experienced was in 2003. It's the one where the power surge in Canada affected the entire transmission grid and left many states, including NY in the dark.
    I remember the news accounts well. So close on the heels of 9/11 all of the speculation initially was another terrorist attack.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

The weather has finlly cooled down somewhat over here, still no sign of rain. All my rain barrels are empty, so if anyone would care to return the favour and do me a raindance, I'd be most appreciative.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Default At 2pm today

It was 102 F in Central Park.
    I did take the subway to work just to get a sense of how bad it is and...it's bad. If I weren't so busy I'd try frying an egg on the sidewalk and posting it.

4:46pm, 102 in my front yard. Think I will allow my outdoor chores to mature a bit
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Default just the facts ma'am

Quote Originally Posted by huntermj View Post
    !!
    Canada has in the past caused cascading grid failures leaving millions without power.
    actually it was a tree branch in my former home state of ohio that caused the sugre that resulted in the cascading power outages in whuch the power company leanred of their vunerabilities
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com