Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

13 92.86%
  • no

1 7.14%

Thread: first aid section

Default first aid section

so after spending the last few months training with search and rescue and the fire department i have come see see a skills gap in my training, sure i had a medical background but working experience was long ago, so i stepped up my medic training both wilderness and urban, working alot of events like the motocross races and wilderness medic course plus responding as a firefighter, inbedding my skills deeply, also allot of land navigation and compass work, two things i only ever rearley see mentioned here, but two that i think are most imporatant skills to own, so i was gonna pm chris and ask him, but maybe most don't want a seperate section so i figured lets do a poll to show chris yes or no
    Last edited by wareagle69; 07-05-2010 at 06:51 PM.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Banned

sounds good to me

My only problem with this is that anyone can offer first aid advice and there is no proof they know what they might be talking about. I've kept current in first aid and CPR for over 20 years now but I wouldnt expect (or want)anyone here to take medical advice from me!

It would need some serious disclosures at the very least.

This is a tough call. I get what you are wanting and one part of me says it would be a good thing but a part of me sides with Camp, too. Well intentioned advice doesn't mean valid, accurate or good advice.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i figured this argument would come up so i refer you to the bushcraft medicine section, advice there could also inflict damage, i am not suggesting that we do medical diagnosis here but a q/a section, for example
    your tent mate swallows a small amount of white gas, what should you do?
    or other info such as a thread on hypothermia ways to prevent or help, or what is the proper method for stopping a nose bleed

When I saw the bushcraft medicine I began to write about what I do and like most everything else I do I'm self taught and I know it would sound rediculus some of the things I do I thought it would give everybody a good laugh but as I wrote a disclaimer to it I found I could not describe how stupid a person would have to be to take medical advice from me. For example I never got an infection busting my knuckles doing mechanics so I made a habbit of smearing grease off the side of a motor into my cuts whenever they happened. I don't look at things until they stop hurting, they seem to hurt more when you look at them. Dummas stuff like that. Please, if you do start something like this you should ban me from ever posting there!

I think it would be a good idea to have a dedicated section but have the same concerns as every one else.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Of course I vote yes! I suggest people that post advice quote sources whenever possible, but you all know how I feel about people learning 1st Aid!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Actually....I think that's an excellent idea. Perhaps one of the criteria is to make it mandatory to post sources. Information can often be outdated so that would let everyone see where the info came from and/or support the poster's information.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

That sounds reasonable.

This seems like a good idea...citing sources and information. Personally, I am challenged on which source says what and can I list the journal article, date, etc to back up my information. Information given without a source is just that, hearsay.

I will attempt to cite a decent source for info that I post and would appreciate the same from others. I share a lot of information I get on this board with others and it will be nice to have some credibility along with the information.

Awesome idea!

Quote Originally Posted by AD
    Information given without a source is just that, hearsay.
    Do you have a source on that?

I suppose citing sources would be good if those sources are credible, but who's to say the source ain't incredible.

If you don't know if something will work how can you determine if the source is credible or not?

I've heard credible sources say coffee and chocolate are good for you in moderation. I've also had credible sources tell me that coffee and chocolate cause allergic reactions in some folks which generally go undiagnosed and if left untreated can lead to heart failure.

You could always just cite me. I'm pretty incredible.

ok your getting a little narrow focused here on citing sources, if the thread is about stopping bleeding or primary assesment in the feild i'm not sure that citing a source is needed.
    What i am trying to accomplish here is something that ingrains these skills into your head, how many have taken a course-even a yearly course thru work and still not comfortable working your skills?
    an 8 hour cousre does not cover it, especially wilderness first aid, what i am trying to accoomplish is what to do with someone in the feild whan medical attn is miles,hours or days away, no sourse needed to say if you splint a leg constantly asses CSM. if ya wanna know what CSM is then we can start a thread.

All kidding aside I think it's a great idea. As far as sources people will just have to do their own homework if they want to feel more comfortable about it.

I just got to thinking about the whole credible/ incredible thang and went on a tangent. Where do we come up with these words anyhoo.?

Great idea but in this ever increasingly litigious society it would be foolish for the site to do this.

Banned

oooh, Legal questions,, wheres our friendly neighborhood legal counselor ?

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Years ago when I worked 3rd shift yours truly got volunteered for the Volunteer? Fire Dept. Had some training, got more. At work we started with lots of training, before I retired it was cut down to one day and consisted of telling us what we COULDN'T DO, and forget what we knew, the company didn't want to be sued. I would read but not give advice, nothing to guess at or be wrong.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

once again you are getting stuck on a word-advice,
    this is not about advice. advice is-gee my thumb has been green for two weeks now should i go to the doctor? naw just look at our bush medicine threads they will help you.
    no, first aid is about proven universal techniques.
    i think(this means my opinion) that the reason why there are no first aid questions here or even map and compass threads here is that it is because people are lacking in these skills, or they do not see them as important(most likely) such as "i won't get lost or hurt , i have been in the bush for years" if you feel that way then so be it, but the more i learn the more my eyes are opened to my weaknesses. so much so that i have spent many months just on wilderness medicine and land navigation, honeing it to a tee.
    if you don't want this section thats fine, i will still ask my questions in an attempt to help .it is my duty, a responsibility that was given to me freely and which i am to pass along to others