Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My neighbor just called the cops on me

Default My neighbor just called the cops on me

For years ive been shooting my recurve bow in the backyard which is about 100' long. 2 years ago, they decided to cut down the forest and put in houses.

So now we have a neighbor on all 4 sides of our property.

since then i have adjusted my lign of sight to be diagnal, so that if any arrows for some reaason miss, they go off into nowehere.
    and i never shoot if i see any people out back.

Occasionally, and i mean very occasionally (4 times in the past 2 years), an arrow bounces off the box, bounces again off the grass and manages to get through a 15 foot foot buffer zone with a chain link fence. And lands at the edge of his property.

Earlier Today he told us (me and my dad) he was in fear for his property and life. And I couldnt shoot arrows..

So in order to accondomate (not spelled right) his concerns i adjusted my line of sight even more. into nowhere. So now, i have a pile of wood and a shed behind my line of sight.

Well apparently he just heard me in back shooting arrows, and had to make this even dumber and call the cops.

Long Story short, if any arrows go bac k in his property, i can get fined. The more important, and thing that makes me a little angry, is just the fact that he called the law in the first place... oh wellll
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

In the Youtube video that you posted today, it sure did not look like there was a safe place for you to be shooting your bow in your back yard. That little shed is pretty clolse to the property line with nothing else but a chain link fence. On the right you could see your neighbors in the their back yard. IMO your yard is not big, or secluded enough to shoot.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

the woman to our right, (with the shed) doesnt care if arrows hit the woodpile. so thats where we have the bow in front of now.

its the people behind the fence that complained. regardless, as far as the law goes, we just have to keep any arrows off their property, so were gonna be putting some ply wood on the back fence so that none can get through
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

I haven't seen your layout but if you are going to shoot then you have the responsibility to make sure you don't injure or put fear into other property owners near you. It shouldn't be a fine you are worried about but a lawsuit for injuring your neighbor. The guy may be touchy, paranoid, even petty, all the more reason not to sign over your house to him because you poked a hole in one of his kids. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Sorry CS but I get pretty cranky when someone's dog poops in my yard. Arrows would take it to a whole new level. Isn't there some place else you can practice without inciting your neighbors?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool oops...

I have a brother over in Iowa who's a Deputy Sheriff. Sometime back his little granddaughter was standing at one of his windows, then moved away, on into the room. Suddenly the glass broke and an arrow shot into the room, right where she'd been standing moments before. The next-door neighbor came right over & apologized. He'd been shooting at targets in his backyard & he let one go in the wrong direction by mistake. My brother informed him in no undercertain terms that firing any type of weapon in the city limits was against the law & if he didn't want an extended visit of the county lock-up he needed to put the weapons away. I'm sorry, CS, but you have a burden of responsibility here to not only comply with the law, but to be a considerate neighbor. If somebody injured one of my family with an arrow, being fined would be the least of their worries.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by crimescene450 View Post

Occasionally, and i mean very occasionally (4 times in the past 2 years), an arrow bounces off the box, bounces again off the grass and manages to get through a 15 foot foot buffer zone with a chain link fence. And lands at the edge of his property.

Earlier Today he told us (me and my dad) he was in fear for his property and life. And I couldnt shoot arrows..
    So 4 times in the last 2 years, you had arrows go where you did not mean for them to go.....that could have killed someone.

And your neighbor was man enough to come to you to resolve the problem, but you wouldn't listen, forcing him to involve the police.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Banned

By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I shot an arrow into the air,
    It fell to earth, I knew not where;
    For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
    Could not follow it in its flight.

I breathed a song into the air,
    It fell to earth, I knew not where;
    For who has sight so keen and strong,
    That it can follow the flight of song?

Long, long afterward, in an oak
    I found the arrow, still unbroke;
    And the song, from beginning to end,
    I found again in the heart of a friend.

Blog Entries

+1 on what everyone has said.
    I think your neighbour has been very tolerant and understanding up til now. If you have failed to listen to his concerns, then what other recourse does the poor man have.
    Finally, could you live with yourself if you did maim or worse kill someone? Just something to think about....
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Just hope he doesn't start target practice with a pistol...in your direction....when you are shooting arrows.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

I seem to recall him saying he likes to make Bombs too ? > http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...80&postcount=4
    Last edited by Justin Case; 07-05-2010 at 10:48 AM.

hmm. i guess you guys have a point.

my other neighbors have never cared and ive always had a good relationship with them. So thats why im kinda dissdappointed about these new houses.
    - Greek Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by crimescene450 View Post
    hmm. i guess you guys have a point.

my other neighbors have never cared and ive always had a good relationship with them. So thats why im kinda dissdappointed about these new houses.
    We've talked about the encroachment of civilization. Like the Indians you can't stop it with a bow and arrow.

Sorry CS, I'd be one of those neighbors who complained. Put up a tall fence where you can't bug anyone and do your own thing. Or move. People shouldn't have to put up with their neighbors' $hit whether that be loud music, dog poop or arrows flying. It's just common courtesy.

Yeah either im gonna put ply wood in front of the fence, or ill just shoot towards my house. Ill figure something out
    - Greek Proverb

Banned

Hang a rope horizontally between two trees or posts at about 7 feet off the ground, hang a think area rug from a goodwill shop over it so that it is doubled as it hangs there. That should work as a back stop against your arrows if you only shoot field points. The first rule of shooting is "Make certain there is nothing or no one down range. Be certain of your back stop."
    You could also lean a full size piece of 1" or 3/4" plywood against your shed and shoot so that if it went through(very unlikely) all that it would hit was your shed.
    Safety First CS

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Sorry CS, I'd be one of those neighbors who complained.
    I'd be one also. I have only lost one arrow in my yard (I have about 2 miles of nothing behind me and it is owned by my wifes cousin so it was sort of safe) when I hit the trigger release while I was drawing and sent the arrow up over the backstop and into the woods. If that happens in your back yard you will really run the risk of hurting someone or worse. There must be another place for you to practice. I shoot at a pro shop when the weather is rotten and it costs very little...much less than killing a neighbor might cost. Just a thought.

To really ensure the neighbors safety maybe you should shoot towards your house.

CS - check with these guys. They can probably direct you to a safe place to practice. http://www.huntingsociety.org/ArcheryClubsOH.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Killing a neighbor isn't too expensive but disposing of the body and all the chemicals you'll have to buy to get rid of the evidence is not only expensive but time consuming. you'll end up spending all your time trying to hide the bodies and won't have any time to shoot.
    Okay, that was just a joke. Don't try this at home.