Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artifacts, my small collection.

Hey rudy, you're avatar got hijacked by a goose.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What a doofus. He could easily have talked to you about origins and composition of the points. He could have taken a couple and looked them over while he talked about the importance of maintaining a site so it can be reviewed by professionals. He could have done all of that on a man to man basis. Not like some school master to a kid. I'll bet you hurry right back to him with the next find. I've run into guys like that from time to time and find they are more bravado than brains usually.
    Yeah, I was kinda in a WTF mode after that.
    No class.

Anyway, on the up side, at couple of the Archaeological Society events, (I did join and have beeen a menber for a while now), the newspaper guy that covers that stuff blows right past the guy and heads over to me
    for "comments".

I guess I'm not the only ones that considers him kinda an Awhole.

Takes all kinds....................
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hey rudy, you're avatar got hijacked by a goose.
    Yeah they can be a pest ("goose" is that a test?)
    Rudy
    http://www.rudyumans.com
    The 2011 Everglades landscape/wildlife calenders are out. visit:
    http://www.zazzle.com/rudyumans

Quote Originally Posted by rudyumans View Post
    Yeah they can be a pest ("goose" is that a test?)
    Pests? You want I should take care of dat for use?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Be careful, Crash. It's wearing a red mask! That might be their colors.

Hunter - I know you have some Indian nations up there. Most notably the Hochunk and the Oneida (I've spent a LOT of time around Madison. Months and months) albeit a bit north of you on both accounts. Some of the elders might be able to help you identify some of those points. You could touch base through their web sites. I know some other nations out of Illinois (Illini for sure) were relocated into Wisconsin at the white man's request so they probably are not purely Wisconsin in origin but I'll bet they will know a few of those just by what they are made out of. Just a thought.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for the advice.
    Been kinda working on it, as there are a lot of contacts thru the Archaeological Society, as well at the head of the Archaeological Department at the local collage.

The last site excavated was the Vieau Site, started by Jacques Vieques who started trading with the NorthwestCo started the post at Milwaukee.
    We are located next to the Jambeau Trail, the overland route from Chicago and Green bay.
    Native Americans pronounced the name" Jacques Vieques, as "Jam-beau", hence Jambeau Trail.

Louis, born 1812,and Jacque Jr., born 1804, took over running the Skunk Grove site in 1830 and married Indian women from the adjacent Potawatomi village.

I worked collection, cleaning and cataloging artifacts from this site, and am working on some test digs on Simmons Island in Kenosha, site of the first tavern in the area.
    Was outside the limits of "Southport" at the time.

Lots of students and Professors involved and I have been hanging out and asking questions.

I was kinda led to believe that the head museum dude wasn't really interested in my small collection, so tough crap, I'm hanging on to it.

Lots of way to skin a cat (sorry sjj, figure of speech)
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-02-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added stuff, splin'

Blog Entries

Chain of evidence my a@#. Clear cutting and bulldozing wind rows destroys the artifacts forever and yet you have saved some to be appreciated. Not horded by some Indiana Jones wannabe were they will never be viewed again.

I live in an area rich with Native American artifacts. I have seen the sun and moon worship sites here that predate any found elsewhere. I am a few hours from poverty point , another area as old as we have found. I have seen these " Indian Jones types and dealt with their thievery of real History. Not the convoluted stuff taught today where we were the heroes on the white charger. I have had them in their intelligence tell me that I did not find the solid heads in the pics below as they were made in areas many states from here. Fools! The whole lot of them!

Here are some pieces of my history as well as yours. I found some here at my house and some on the Ouachita River. The pottery has designs still scratched in it.

I cherish them very much and wonder to their path into my hand to be passed on to my grand son should he value them as I. Sell them? Never! Not even the broken pieces. Share them with ppl that feel the same? Yes down to the last one.

Love the collection and ty for sharing them. As to the question of a flatside and arched side. the majority of all the whole and pieces I have are elliptical on both sides.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The top box are all broken pieces.

So....how do you really feel about it?

Nice collection. Gives you the mental image of someone making that pot and scribing the designs into it.

Here's a question for you collectors. When I went on the 127 rummage sale trail this year there was a guy at one of the sales that had quite a collection of pieces. He had a stone shaped like a hawk only this thing must have weighed 20 pounds. It was probably 10 inches long, six inches wide and 6 or 7 inches tall. It had the standard indentation in the back where a handle would have been attached. What would they have used something like that for? It looked like an ancient sledge hammer but I sure wouldn't want to have used it.

Blog Entries

Sounds like an axe but without seeing it I cant say for sure. A lot of that stuff is faked and I mean a lot.

I am learning to Knapp right now but I have been using glass/Obsidian. When I do make the move to stone I will drill a hole in the piece so as not to have it confused with an artifact.

Since making a few pieces you really get an understanding for how the points were made and how they were valued. In my area Of North La. it is believed that the bows were somewhat common and traded for by other tribes. In South La bows were not common as the environment does lend its self to making a good bow. The humidity is killer. spears and atlatla were used and the points reflect this.

Here's a question for you collectors. When I went on the 127 rummage sale trail this year there was a guy at one of the sales that had quite a collection of pieces.

He had a stone shaped like a hawk only this thing must have weighed 20 pounds. It was probably 10 inches long, six inches wide and 6 or 7 inches tall. It had the standard indentation in the back where a handle would have been attached. What would they have used something like that for? It looked like an ancient sledge hammer but I sure wouldn't want to have used it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erratus Animus View Post
    Sounds like an axe but without seeing it I cant say for sure. A lot of that stuff is faked and I mean a lot.
    I keep my eyes out as well, but I wouldn't trust something from a yard sale.

I know a couple/few/alot of guys, that are pretty good at it, LOL
    They are not "FAKE", just not very old, if you know what I mean.

Rick any pic's?
    Was it like this?:

EA, Nice collection.
    I get a kick out of finding and possibly even trying to use something that could be 1000's of years old.
    I guess I'm not the only one that walks around looking for anything intresting.

I like to move slow, and use the "stop, sit, scan, let mind wonder", method, and stuff just starts appearing, like out of nowhere.
    If I'm supposed to have it, it will appear............
    Thanks for the pic's!

Hunter, about twice that size judging from the knife and much more blunt at the front. It looked more like a pounding instrument that a true tomahawk. I'd never seen one like it or seen anything that large before. I should have taken a picture of it.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lots of things it could have been Rick. My guess (and it's just a guess) would be a spalling hammer, to break chunks off of a larger boulder. You don't swing a sledge at a spall like you are driving a railroad spike.. it's a series of heavy taps. Large heavy swings tend to fracture your spalls and boulders. It has to do with the relationship of kinetic energy transfer and weight.. One of Newton's laws, I think.

to Hunter: It's amazing what you find when you don't know what you are looking for!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    Lots of things it could have been Rick. My guess (and it's just a guess) would be a spalling hammer, to break chunks off of a larger boulder. You don't swing a sledge at a spall like you are driving a railroad spike.. it's a series of heavy taps. Large heavy swings tend to fracture your spalls and boulders. It has to do with the relationship of kinetic energy transfer and weight.. One of Newton's laws, I think.

to Hunter: It's amazing what you find when you don't know what you are looking for!
    LOL, You got that right!
    You must know what I'm talking about when I say , "Let your mind wonder," I do it way too often.

Funny because stuff just starts appearing, when you allow you eyes, ears to just, scan without any interference.
    You just need to have a subconscious "list of intresting stuff" to draw from.

What were we just talking about?.....................