Thread: New Lantern

Default New Lantern

I'm looking at buying a new dual fuel Coleman Lantern. My question is, is there something you can add to the fuel to repel mosquitoes.

I know you can use citronella oil in the Dietz, or Hurricane lamps. Not sure about the dual fuel pressurized models.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Grizz, I'm not aware of anything. All Coleman lanterns and stoves are duel fuel. Coleman fuel is gasoline that has been refined a step up. It's actually Naptha. It doesn't have the additives that gasoline has. It's the additives that will clog the generator in either the stove or the lantern. I wouldn't add citronella oil to a Coleman product either. I'm certain it will clog the generator and the residue will be nearly impossible to remove.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hmmm...here is a thought. Thermacell patches work when heated. Perhaps punch a hole in a patch and retain it ontop of the lantern with the globe nut. I bet it would work!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Park the lantern away from where you are, they cast lots of light. The insects will be attracted to the light and not you.

Even better is to have a semi-smokey fire. That works better than anything.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty familiar with outdoor products and I know of no additive you could use. If you try experimenting with some kind of product on top of the lantern, be careful, the hood gets very hot.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Quote Originally Posted by red lake View Post
    Park the lantern away from where you are, they cast lots of light. The insects will be attracted to the light and not you.

Even better is to have a semi-smokey fire. That works better than anything.
    What he said.

I think the most popular is citronella its the main ingredient of most repellent candles. Im not convinced it works 100% unless your sitting right on top of it...
    Never without my Paracord Survival Bracelet an essential part of any Survival Kit !

Citronella can't be added to lantern fuel.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.