Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1230

Thread: Survival kits info.

Question Newbie

I'm pretty new to the kit idea but i've been working on mine for about a week it contains

Shelter:
    2 Contractor trash bags
    1 Emergency blanket
    6 Clamps

Fire:
    1 Swiss Fire Steel Scout (my absolute favorite)
    1 magnesium block with striker
    1 lighter
    12 Petroleum jelly cotton balls

Food:
    20 feet of 20lbs test fishing line
    12 size 8 hooks
    10 split shot

Edges:
    1 Whitetail folding knife
    1 multi-tool
    1 swiss army tool

Container:
    5.11 6x6 Mollie pouch

I carry a 1980 USGI canteen and cup with 20 foot of blaze 550 cord

(any advise would be great - i'm the medic for our trips so i always have top shelf home-packed med kit on my hip)

You may want to work on your food option a bit - even a couple of power bars. Also - think about how you are going to get - and make fit to drink - water. There's more, but those two will get you moving in the right direction.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

good point always plan for just having my kit... i carry my food in my backpack and plan on having my canteen with me for water... maybe i should look into an aquamira Filter straw

I would need a survival van. I am constantly adding to my survival kit. The Big One will happen sooner or later. Earthquake that is. I am from Cali Woo Hoo!!!
    I am with you there. All of the stuff I have would be tight getting in a full size SUV. By van, I am assuming that you are talking of the 26 foot + variety.

I have 3. 1 in my 4wd. 1 for my dirtbike and 1 for my hiking. To me, survival kits are really worth to have around you. You will never know when you will need one, but let's pray that we don't need to use one. However, one still needs to learn and practice on using the survival kit. Its practice, practice and practice. At the same time, keeping your kits up to date, is also very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan
    Its practice, practice and practice. At the same time, keeping your kits up to date, is also very important.

Excellent post and spot on.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I put survival kits together for fun. I collect and use survival supplies for hiking, hunting, trapping, even everyday use. I spread them around in various packs and kits depending on the scenario I may need it for. Most of it just sits there packed away, however.

There's no piece of gear I don't have, so its not a matter of making sure I have the right supplies. It's mainly a matter of being able to carry all that you need or want. That stuff gets heavy quickly. I've also create "minimalist" packs that have all the basics in a very small container. You can kind of go in any direction with this PSK business. It's a lot of fun actually.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

Did some great prepping today!!

Bought a 2 week supply of food at my patriot supply - Free shipping!

& a StatGear - Auto Survival Kit which looks pretty badass and comes with a sweet knife!

I also bought new undershirts from Walmart which I guess is just to survive my wife's nagging about my worn out ones!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninjasurvivor View Post
    I put survival kits together for fun. I collect and use survival supplies for hiking, hunting, trapping, even everyday use. I spread them around in various packs and kits depending on the scenario I may need it for. Most of it just sits there packed away, however.

There's no piece of gear I don't have, so its not a matter of making sure I have the right supplies. It's mainly a matter of being able to carry all that you need or want. That stuff gets heavy quickly. I've also create "minimalist" packs that have all the basics in a very small container. You can kind of go in any direction with this PSK business. It's a lot of fun actually.
    Tha's when you learn dude!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I'm looking for survival books for Arizona in Southwest Territory Phoenix Arizona to be precise also looking for any kind of books you suggest for medicinal and edible plants and the the desert here. I plan on using the library for most of my resources but if someone could suggest one book that I could buy that I could taking my bug out bag to have for reference as far as plants and other things I would be great

Quote Originally Posted by shellkat View Post
    I'm looking for survival books for Arizona in Southwest Territory Phoenix Arizona to be precise also looking for any kind of books you suggest for medicinal and edible plants and the the desert here. I plan on using the library for most of my resources but if someone could suggest one book that I could buy that I could taking my bug out bag to have for reference as far as plants and other things I would be great
    Please don't rely on a book for wild edibles. Have someone with knowledge show you exactly what plants are edible and in season.
    The pictures in books of plants that I've seen right in my backyard look totally different sometimes.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I agree with Mr. Fixit...pictures on books might be deceiving...and you might end up eating the wrong plants....
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

reminds me of the movie INTO THE WILD True Story Too.

Well..this is what I would do in coming up with my own survival kit..

Firstly, I would determine where I am, what climate I am facing and what are the natural disasters and animals in the area.

Then I would think:-
    1. What kind of shelter would I have to make should there be an emergency.
    2. Is fire making possible, are there natural tinder, is kindling available and would the wood easily catch fire. Or simply, am I in a desert, a dry forest, a wet area or marshland.
    3. Will I be able to get water in that area? Should I always bring with me? Would I need to filter water?
    4. Would the forest house bamboos?
    5. Would the area I am in requires me to have a signalling mirror?
    6. How about navigation?

These are what I would usually think and would determine what items should be in my Survival kit. It would help make my kit lighter or heavier.

Hello everyone, first post from me, Mike.

I have a very useful tip for your survival kit and which I would like everyone to spread so as to save lives. P

You may have noticed that the Tuaregs and Bedouin nomads wear a scarf around their necks and face as they cross the desert on their camels. Do you know why?

In fact it is done to save water. As a human exhales he loses a lot of water in his breath. The lungs rely on humid air to function and the air we breathe in is moistened on its way down our throat. (I found that out when I almost died from meningitis. When I woke up after 10 days in coma I was on a respirator, which was connected to an ultrasonic humidifier, which stopped every now and then. As I frantically beeped the nurses the dry air going directly into my lungs thru a long (dry) tube felt like I was breathing sand!)

Anyway, the nomads wrap a cloth around their necks and mouth so that the moisture lost when exhaling stays in the cloth and is then picked up again and reused by the inhaled air. If a bandanna is so used in a survival situation you can reduce the amount of water a person needs and save lives.

It may even be possible that in the event of a sea ditching, that sea water be used on the outside of a bandanna to moisten the incoming air, though I haven't had the opportunity to test this. Or perhaps a tube through which one can breath air moistened by seawater can be developed........

I wonder just how many people have died of thirst who could have been saved had they known this simple, evident and life saving technique.

Please insert this tip in your survival manuals and spread the word.

Demosthenes,
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....there is an intro section at

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

As far as your tip goes.... sounds good,..... how much testing have you done on this?....or just read about it someplace?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

This is from my understanding...why do people wear robes and scraf that cover their body and face in the desert? FYI, They actually wear another set of clothes underneath the robes.
    1. The items acts as a cover when they are braving sandstorms. It helps them to cover the face, protecting the eyes, ears, nose and mouth, allowing them to breath better and sand free.
    2. Shields the hot sun ray, which can cause sun burn , heatstroke discomfort.
    3. The wearer will sweat, and the robe helps to keep the sweat water within the robes, cooling the body.

This is what I know.....quite limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    This is from my understanding...why do people wear robes and scraf that cover their body and face in the desert? FYI, They actually wear another set of clothes underneath the robes.
    1. The items acts as a cover when they are braving sandstorms. It helps them to cover the face, protecting the eyes, ears, nose and mouth, allowing them to breath better and sand free.
    2. Shields the hot sun ray, which can cause sun burn , heatstroke discomfort.
    3. The wearer will sweat, and the robe helps to keep the sweat water within the robes, cooling the body.

This is what I know.....quite limited.
    Yeah, thanks, Tok, my understanding is much the same.......was just seeing what Demo would say.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I doubt the very small amount of water vapor you would capture, if you capture any, would prevent death from dehydration. Once you become dehydrated you expel less and less moisture from all sources (urine, sweat, etc). When it's 120F outside that water vapor is going to evaporate pretty quickly.

@ Demosthenes ---> Do you have a source or reference for your theory?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel