Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1230

Thread: Survival kits info.

Why don't you try posting an introduction so we know if you are 9 or 90? You can use this template to get you started.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Gear List

Not sure if there is a catagory for this...i just joined so here it is.
    This is a on-going list i'm making for a survival. I will try out all my gear when i get it but i am in the plannijng process now so please add or remove what you items feel neccessary, thanks.

Wool blanket or sleeping bag (both)
    Knife with firesteel
    lighter
    Canteen
    Hatchet
    Compass
    Casio Pathfinder watch
    First aid kit ( what should it include )
    GPS with soar kit
    Sunglasses
    Shake or crank Flashlight ( no batteries )
    Osprey argon 110 pack
    50-100ft. 550 paracord
    Sewing kit
    Multi-tool
    Hat
    Raingear
    Tarp
    Duct tape
    Mess kit
    Fishing kit
    towel
    food
    Mosquito net
    Map
    Chap stick
    Water purifier ( what kinds )

This is just a general list not meant for a specific enviroment, just a basis that i always want to have and then can add based on where i go you know.

Uh-oh. A Mod will be along shortly to help you with the correct procedures here. More importantly, you will find NUMEROUS, very long threads on this very quandry. Good luck.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Yo Woodsman, How about going over to the intro section and introduce yourself and tell us a bit about yourself.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman
    add or remove what you items feel neccessary
    Are you looking for input because you are missing some important items. An intro would be helpful so we know how old you are.

1. Whistle (Tornado or Storm are both good. There are other good ones out there just make certain it's pealess)

2. Mirror (StarFlash is about the best one the market)

A wool blanket and a sleeping bag are pretty darn heavy to be packing.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'd also add some small cash in-case you find it back to civilization and really need something to drink or eat.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by TheWoodsman View Post
    This is just a general list not meant for a specific enviroment, just a basis that i always want to have and then can add based on where i go you know.
    I think it would be much more beneficial for you if you could specify more the environment where you atleast planning to go and that way we could maybe give you more specific tips about your gear.

Truth is that there is basically same gear list in every survival book and you will be more than OK with that stuff, but it is more or less the experience that will then build the perfect toolset ... for your needs.

Here is my tip: Add few chemical hand warmers.

I have a survival kit that I carry with me all the time.

You might want to post your introduction in the Introduction thread instead of the Blog section. More folks will see it there. Here's a template you can use if you wish.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813

And the Introduction section:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14

Default my wilderness survival kit

here it is not pictured is 12 esbit tabs what do you people think i should add/subtract or change about this kit it weighs about 5 pounds
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Definitely add a first aid kit, and some food of some sort. Instant soup, energy bars, quick cook pasta meals or noodles, anything to keep the energy up. Also a lighter, waterproof matches can sometimes let you down. If funds permit a good quality knife. I'm sure there's more!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

You might want to add a water bottle with some water and at least some hard candy for energy and also will help keep your mouth moist. I find that a good sour lemon hard candy tends to keep my mouth the most moist.

i have the playpus bottle if you look at the picture it is listed as "waterbottle" it is one of those collapsable ones the psp+ has a fixed blade knife in it and i already have a granola bar but i probably should add another so ill do that and ill get a lighter to go in there when i get a chance

I realize you have an empty water bottle. But when you start out you should have a full bottle just in case you do not find water before you need a drink.

I think I'd swap out one of the ponchos and one space blanket for a sheet of thick clear plastic, 10 X 12' and swap out the box cutter for a sturdy fixed blade. I'd also lose the matches and add a fire steel and some tinder. And, I'd add a basic first aid kit with a mirror, tweezers, bandaids, compresses, gauze, micropore tape, pain killers, vitamins, eye wash, anti-bacterial ointment, alcohol pads, and such.

Looks good though.

Water purification tablets and the Platypus collapsible bottle are good, but keep in mind that tablets may not get rid of some nasties in the water. Maybe a canteen cup or other metal container for boiling water? I would include back-ups to your matches as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh - and you forgot to label the shoes in the picture.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

there is a metal cup, and i forgot to picture the fixed blade knife,i always carry a little first aid kit in my pockets im gonna go and get a painters tarp and put some holes in it to go in there becuase thats a good suggestion and i just added a lighter and this is not used as my normal pack which does have water in it some more bars and a bigger first aidkit but this is incase i lose my pack

In my opinion - the most important thing to do - regardless of the size of the kit - is to take it out and try it. See if it does what you need it to do. If it does, then you have the confidence in both your kit and your abilities. If you need to adjust it a bit, then you get immediate feedback.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I recommend "The Herb Book" by John Lust

It has over 2,000 listings with over 275 line drawings. It is referenced, & cross referenced. It tells the Common Names, Medicinal Parts, Descriptions, Properties & Uses, as well as Preparation & Dosage. It starts at the basics, even explaining how to make a decoction, infusion, tincture,...
    It even lists plant dyes by plant, or color. It is a must for health survival, in the field.

I feel that this is an invaluable part of anyone's kit.
    Chari

"The past gives us experience and memories; the present gives us challenges and opportunities; the future gives us vision and hope."

William Arthur Ward