Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1230

Thread: Survival kits info.

All (many different ones for different stuff) my kits are a "work in progress".

I find my self adding stuff, usually because I didn't have it last time, then it's gets too full, or heavy, or a newer type bag shows up and away we go.

Basic kits, as well as pockets, are:
    Knife, fire kit, water, first-aid, TP, compass, flashlight, rope, big garbage bags.

Next is thermos, lunch, candy.

Then anything else.

I like looking at everyone's lists, lot of thought goes into it, but I also try to see what I can pick up or improvise, so as to not have to carry it.

Ongoing nightmare would be caught in a 3 piece suit, straight from somewhere, where you wouldn't carry emergency stuff, in the winter, at nite in a blizzard.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

Ongoing nightmare would be caught in a 3 piece suit, straight from somewhere, where you wouldn't carry emergency stuff, in the winter, at nite in a blizzard.
    But at least you'll look good when they find you.

He will as long as the suit is polyester. Nothing's too good for our man Hunter.

(Hunter secretly caught picking up a few survival items)

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Not pictured is my Lava lamp...........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Now that's funny I don't care who you are!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

All (many different ones for different stuff) my kits are a "work in progress".
    I have a similar system to you a lot of my kits are in bits and pieces - and I agree I try to make a single item into a multi - use item to increase my kits effectiveness. But as I learnt before sometimes it all comes down to how effective they are.

I'm planning to do 2 nights out in my garden in the summer relying only on a tarp and my survival kit. I want to make the best survival kit I can for this but want it to be compact. Anybody got a good kit list/kit. My idea is to make my own ration packs/boil in the bags and be camping out only with those things and possibly a sleeping bag thanks in advance.

Sam, any kit we offer would only be right for us. You need a kit that is right for you and for the environment you'll be in. Think of what you need in the back yard for those two nights, what the weather will be like and what you plan to do those two nights. Then build your pack to meet those needs. I actually think it's a really great plan. If you need something you don't have then you are right there to get it. Make note of it so you can add it to your pack. If you find out you didn't need some items then make a determination as to whether you want to keep it or not.

We all carry some basics that are necessary for us but my packs can change on an outing by outing basis depending on where I'm going, what the weather is and what I'll be doing while I'm out. Probably not what you wanted to hear but what's right for me may not be right for you.

Thanks for that Rick. My idea is because it is unlikely I'd be able to go and spend to nights like this in the woods, I want to try it but for now in my own home. Where's the best place for me to find a sort of standard list that I can change to suit myself. What features should I base the kit around. Geographical, weather?? What do the factors change mainly in my kit. More bigger kit, smaller kit? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you brought it up...

Quote Originally Posted by samfranklin View Post
    Thanks for that Rick. My idea is because it is unlikely I'd be able to go and spend to nights like this in the woods, I want to try it but for now in my own home. Where's the best place for me to find a sort of standard list that I can change to suit myself. What features should I base the kit around. Geographical, weather?? What do the factors change mainly in my kit. More bigger kit, smaller kit? Thanks in advance.
    Sam, your IP address shows me that you live in the Uk, triangulated by the towns of Darlington, Preston, & Leeds. If you haven't already got a copy, I recommend: "The SAS Survival Handbook" by John 'Lofty' Wiseman. Also Ray Mears comes from your neck of the woods so you might go to your local library and see what you can find written by him. Remember that you need to provide for the basics: Fire, shelter, water, & food. You need to stay dry and warm. Be sure & include a poncho or rain jacket. If they have plastic trash bags where you live you can even make one out of one of those. Also, your post back on the 29th of June, my 63rd birthday, BTW, was a great start! I'm impressed on your decision to start out training close to home! Sarge salutes you!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sam, we have it all. Scroll down to Survival Kits.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/chp3.php

Quote Originally Posted by samfranklin View Post
    I'm planning to do 2 nights out in my garden in the summer relying only on a tarp and my survival kit. I want to make the best survival kit I can for this but want it to be compact. Anybody got a good kit list/kit. My idea is to make my own ration packs/boil in the bags and be camping out only with those things and possibly a sleeping bag thanks in advance.
    In that location a couple pints, a couple of bangers and a cougar should take care of all your needs
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Thanks guys for all your help with this and I'll certainly let you know how it goes!
    In that location a couple pints, a couple of bangers and a cougar should take care of all your needs
    Interesting thought! :/

Default How defining "kit"

I find that most of these lists of survival kits are just too much for me to concider to be a kit. Of course, a lot of what should be in a kit should depend upon its use (car emergency, home, backpacking), but when I think of survival kit, the basic thing I think of is what I would have in my pockets and/or a small backpack, with all other items being situational extras.

So, for me a survival kit consists of a personal first-aid kit, a fire starter, a knife, a water bottle (full), a granola bar, a length of parachute cord, and appropriate clothing, plus an extra layer in reserve. That extra layer is usually a hooded rain jacket-- light nylon in the summer, oversized heavier goretex in the other 3 seasons. In the winter I will also toss-in a couple of hand-warmer packs.

With that said, each of my vehicles has a full first-aid kit, assorted tools, a blanket, and some light rope (amazing how often that comes in handy). My children build and maintain our vehicle and home first-aid kits with my supervision, because I want them to learn these skills and know I can depend on them to follow directions in an emergency.

If I'm traveling with others, at all, I will toss a family first-aid kit in my backpack. People look at me weird when I go somewhere that I have to have my backpack checked (like a ball game) and there is a first-aid kit in there, but I know where a kit is in an emergency.

When traveling with others in the winter I pack another pair of handwarmers.

Of course, if I'm camping then a whole list of other items starts being added, but this seems to go beyond survival.

The best way to be prepaired, however, is situational awareness. For example, a fire kit does you no good if you can't identify appropriate fuel in the ecosystem you are in.

Here is the contents of my survival tin:

-Flint & striker
    -Waterproof strike anywhere matches (broken in half to save space)
    -Cotton balls (tinder and prevents items from rattling around)
    -10 ft of snare wire
    -6 small hooks
    -6 small splitshot sinkers
    -Bandaids
    -Butterfly sutures
    -Razor blade or flat 2 edged broadhead blade
    -Needles wrapped with braided 10lb test fishing line
    -Triple anti-biotic ointment
    -Anti-histamine tablet (benedryl for allergic reactions)
    -Aspirin (in case of emergency heart attack)
    -Ibuprophen (pain relief for injuries)
    -Wire saw
    -Small piece of candy or chocolate
    -Electrolyte packet or tablets
    -Water purification tablets
    -Button compass
    -Boullion cube or packet
    -Mini magnifying glass (can be found with most eye-glasses repair kits)
    -Compact emergency whistle
    -Birthday candle (preferably the trick ones that are difficult to extinguish)
    -Condom (used for a water bag)
    Never without my Paracord Survival Bracelet an essential part of any Survival Kit !

Quote Originally Posted by LarryB View Post
    Hey there SurvivalScout! I like your take on using Survival kits. You HAVE to take the darn things out in the bush and test them out. You HAVE to practice using the stuff in those kits. Trust me, just because you have some hooks and fishing line in your kit, don't assume it's easy turning that into fresh food! Just for fun, ask some of the guys that love fishing if they catch fish all the time, even with their fancy and high-tech gear? Will that little pack of salt help you when you're needing nutrition? Can that dinky little Xacto blade or razor blade in there, actually do anything bush related, when you need a blade?

Everything in your kit should be tested and used by you, personally and either in there because it works or out of there because, for you it doesn't work well enough. There have been SO many advancements made in this area in the last few decades, that a person can put together a VERY powerful little Survival Kit, without breaking the bank these days. That, along with the real knowledge of how to use it, will instill a pile of confidence, even in the shyer types of survivors out there. Being positive and confident, in life, is your ace in the hole, your hidden magic, that will keep you alive where others of lesser metal would perish from depression and anguish and fear and stupidity or the cold, long before hunger took them...

Thanx for posting this SS, and for reminding all of us to get out there even more often, and practice our skills even more than before. Life is short. Let's do stuff we really like, more often than we did before even...

lb
    ....he is right on........practice makes perfect..........

Hey there intel440 how about stopping by the Introduction section and telling us a bit about yourself. Thanks. Here's the declassified link. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool And...

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Hey there intel440 how about stopping by the Introduction section and telling us a bit about yourself. Thanks. Here's the declassified link. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    the same goes for BushedOut!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

You are right sarge , This was a fun read starting at post 217,, "Ranger Rick" LOL, what a buffoon ! I doubt he would have the guts to come back here ,
    Last edited by Justin Case; 08-18-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Question Survival tools pack

For my first post, I would like to have you're opinions on the compact survival tool kit that I have put together. Just to be clear that is not all im carring around its what I have on my belt. If you've tried anything below share you're experience or what you suggest instead. I also have a first aid kit which I will post soon because its a two page long list of stuff. I also always include 100' of paracord, tarp, extra socks (no cotton), my "Nam" boonie hat, fishing gloves and food rations with chlorine dioxide (aka mms) for water purification... I hate carrying gallons of water around its useless since there is a lot of streams where I live in Eastern Canada.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

It includes:
    -A Gerber folding metal wood saw
    -A Buck 119 420HC stainless steel hunting knife
    -A Buck lite 424 420HC stainless steel folding knife (as backup... excellent to carve wood because its very light and sturdy)
    -A knife sharpener stick
    -Multi-tool pliers with led light, philips screwdriver and small saw and knife
    -Multi-fonction whistle with led light, thermometer, Magnifying glass, mirror and compass
    -Magnesium Firestarter
    Last edited by ruffoverlord; 09-19-2010 at 09:39 PM.