Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival kits info.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Les uses a survival kit!

On episode #3, season #2 of Survivorman, Les Stroud uses a survival kit, a .22 rifle, an axe, and steals meat from his dog-sled team in Labrador. Case in point is a comment he makes when showing the axe: "I'd never go out alone in the North Canadian woods without an Axe." Go Les!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

i saw that episode just last night lol

we haven't got the new season yet and we are his homey's this sucks..

Default Winter Survival kits

Hey, winter is fast approaching, and if last year was any indication as to what it's gonna be like this year, we're in for some doozies! What do all of you keep in your family emergency kits?

Blog Entries

Cool Winter problems.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiec View Post
    Hey, winter is fast approaching, and if last year was any indication as to what it's gonna be like this year, we're in for some doozies! What do all of you keep in your family emergency kits?
    It would depend if I'm leaving the house or not. Mostly everything I use/have is pretty generic and can be used year 'round.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Most of this revolves around home and maybe auto. Last year, we got hit with a blizzard and two ice storms and was without power for an extended period of time at each storm. I usually figure the amount of nonpreishable food per person per day. Heat is a biggie also. I tried to use the stovetop burners, but gave up due to the threat of carbon monoxide poisioning. I'm looking for an alternate way to heat one room effectively.

Blog Entries

I'm pretty much set at the homefront. Now, I do plan on venturing back into the woods in Jan., small game season.

Now that's a diff story.

Bid diff. between Ill and Georgia.

It gets cold, damn cold, but it does not get Ill. cold.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiec View Post
    Most of this revolves around home and maybe auto. Last year, we got hit with a blizzard and two ice storms and was without power for an extended period of time at each storm. I usually figure the amount of nonpreishable food per person per day. Heat is a biggie also. I tried to use the stovetop burners, but gave up due to the threat of carbon monoxide poisioning. I'm looking for an alternate way to heat one room effectively.
    I am so glad you mentioned carbon monoxide poisoning,so many people die in an emergency situation because they use their gas stove,a kerosene heater or even use a generater to run space heaters,the problem being the stove isnt vented well enough to used for long periods of time,kerosene heaters must also have adequate ventilation,and generaters should NEVER be used indoors,also people stranded in their vehicles running the engine for extended periods of time ,or failing to clear snow or other debris from around the exhaust pipe of their vehicle,succumb to this oderless,colorless and tasteless gas.
    I know only too well what carbon monoxide can do to you,my oldest sons father died from it ,and I have scars on my arm,and leg from the burns it can inflict, if you are "lucky" enough to survive.

It has been 21 years this October 18th since it happened to me,and it still haunts me.If I had only known,I would never have turned that car on.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

winter is my favorite time of year here in the great white north says the Arizona kid. i had snow in the Mt's but i love winter up here and the blue jays are already at the bird feeder so she might be a bit early this year yeah.

co2 poisoning is a bad way to go along with being a plumber i am also a gas technician i has combustion analyzers and co2 detectors to protect my family

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Living in San Francisco, the only major shift in weather is rain or no rain, so other than good rain gear, most of the rest is year-round.

My vehicle always has winter items such as coats, blankets, sand, chains, and of course a shovel. The food and water load out is pretty much the same year round.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Other than better insulated weight sleeping bags we also heat the house with a wood burning stove, also used for cooking or warming if need be.
    Have slept outdoor in winter though if you are prepared its OK.
    In the car we carry a full kit and sleeping bags with alcohol stove and seasonal supplies
    To thyne self be true

woodstove is the way to go. heat with it, cook with it.

Default then there's the landlady

Or as we tenants like to refer to her, the sea-serpent. NO woodstove at my house When I owned my place up north, I had a woodstove for heat, we had a power outage in February one year because of some downed lines, the whole town was skewered. We got along just fine, the water still ran, so we used the woodstove for cooking and warming bath and wash water.

Here's something interesting for the group dynamic too....some people ran out of firewood, others of us never hesitated to share what we had. Of course, we were surrounded by boreal forest so it wasn't much of a chore to go and cut more, but most people don't like hauling firewood out of the bush in February in northern Manitoba when they're up to their butts in snow.

I always make sure that I have extra winter clothing, a down sleeping bag, some candles and a good road emergency kit when I'm traveling any long distances in winter time. If I'm doing any outdoor stuff, wool undies is definitely the way to go!
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

the season so far is really good

ya. cant wait for the next episode.

well back on topic. you should get this book, (Build the perfect survival kit)
    who wrote it?
    Jesus is my king.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up And the Author is...

Quote Originally Posted by survivorman. View Post
    ya. cant wait for the next episode.

well back on topic. you should get this book, (Build the perfect survival kit)
    who wrote it?
    John D. McCann, & I have a copy, lots of good ideas in there
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

thats his name, thanks Sarge.
    its a good book.
    Jesus is my king.

you are all forgeting things first you can never have one thing more important than the other it will consently chang on your location and whats happening at that time but first aid always comes first and if in cold conditions then fire would help big time but if camping in spring or early summer shelter may be more impotant to get our of the rain but just for the record i want fire if weather permits and spiritman owl girl is right that could make a much larger fire and if u were to camp in winter (you would want shelter first) then the fire could melt the snow ubove and put you in a bad place
    Survival Scout

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    Or fire + tree = really really big fire!
    lol Really big fire = found

enless your in the middle of the deep woods then fire=death hazered and if you are found then big fire=big ticket
    Survival Scout