Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival kits info.

Blog Entries

Cool Bear Grylls omission.

Here's an interesting bit of data about Bear Grylls. On his show he claims that his survival gear only consists of a water bottle, knife, and sometimes a flint. what he says afterward (discovery.com/manvswild, "meet Bear") is that his water bottle is a Nato canteen complete with cup that acts as a cooking pot. He also has fashioned a carrying strap out of para cord using a "Daisy chain knot" that allows more cordage in less space. Finally, he's usually always wearing a watch, which, as any good outdoorsman knows, can be used to tell North & South...even if it's digital! Not quite as sparse a kit as you might think!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    lol what i bring is a lil eccentric because im a survival junkie but here it is anyway

i use a 60L Woods Backpack to haul all my stuff, complete inventory is

A Outbound Banff Mummy sleeping bag Rated at -18 C (3LB's)

a two person hvy duty dome tent

speacial Edition Leatherman Wave (titanium tools)

Leatherman micra (size of a school eraser) (awsome first aid tool)

One of the earlier nameless leathermans

1 copy of 'Camping & Wilderness survival' by Paul Tawrell , the best wilderness survival book i have ever read i highly recomend it

Full Metal Welder's boots with extrme traction (THE BEST footware i have ever tried)

1 set of colemen rain cloths (jacket and pants)

a 4lb hatchet

a machete

500 wood strike anywhere matches

60 feet of rope (3 braided 550x7's) (breaks at 1200 lbs)

Zippo lighter with fluid refills

1 emergency fanny pack contains
    - 2 thick rain poncho's
    - 6x6 ft heat wrap
    - 10 feet hevy duty cord
    - 2 whistles
    - 2 compasses
    - tweezers

1 military issue folding shovel

1 high quality mapping compass

map pack with topographical maps of Manitoba , North Dakota , Minnesota, Saskatuan, and west Ontario

1 emergency 20 hour candle

1 first aid kit contains :
    - 10 foot water proof adhesive tape roll
    - various antibiotics including :
    - Benzalkonium Chloride
    - Methylparaben
    - Ammonia pads
    - isopropyl alcohol
    - Iodophor pvp ointment
    - iodine
    - titratable
    (most of these are only legally attainable - from a hospital or certified doctor)
    - heavy duty bandages
    - cold pack
    - syringe
    - anticeptics
    - painkillers
    - eye pad

flagging tape

waterproof match case with flint

5 rolls of snare wire

60 foot roll of strong 1/3 cm thick cord

60 foot roll of strong twine

6 footlong steel stakes

5 feet of strong fabric elastic 1cm thick (used as shock cord)

1 slingshot

250 emergency slingshot bb's

1 12x12 foot heavy duty tarp

waterproof back pack bag

1 buck folding knife

1 gerber folding knife

1 set of binoculars

1 high velocity pellet rifle (more powerfull then a .22)

500 hunting pellets for rifle

1 hand fishing set.

3 heavy duty garbage bags

1 large roll heavy duty ducktape

fingerless gloves

high quality authentic leather 'cowboy' style hat (wide brim great for when its raining)

2 sets of glasses and 1 set of contact lenses

1 set of heavy duty cloths

1 set of light summer cloths

Swimming trunks (wet suit if im planning on boating)

1 tube of superglue ( the rly rly rly powerfull kind )

2 sharpening stones

1 bottle of my emergency fire starter ( alot like napalm )

1 large fishing net (i know im screwed if im caught using it)

1 large bug net

insect repellant

one poison (stricknine, nicotine, arsenic,) dart in a metal box (incase i need to kill a grizzly

web belts in case i need to store things closer at hand

flaregun w/ 3 flares

flashlight (the dyno something kind , you squeze it and it lights up)

if im going in a boat i have another set that stays on the boat (2 heavy to carry)

1lb of jerky

enough pemmican to survive a month

water purification system

3 litres of fresh , (chemicals put in to make it more healthy) water

wool socks

tin cup

1 bottle of kerosene (incase i need lotsa flame from my lighter)
    Its a survival kit the point is that you dont want to carry around everything under the sun

Blog Entries

Wink In agreement here!

Quote Originally Posted by paul vs wild View Post
    Its a survival kit the point is that you dont want to carry around everything under the sun
    Right on, Paul; however I must confess that I too am a "gear-head". I'd take along the kitchen sink if I could figure out how to get the durned thing in my pack! ;>) I'm always afraid that what I have will break, or get lost so I carry a lot of crap in my vehicle. I scale it down on my person though.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

bringing the essential items is vital to survive under survival conditions whether its a knife and a flint or an aviators survival kit

Default My home made kit

This is my list:
    2 Razorknife Blades
    1 White light, Photon
    1 Spark-Lite Firestarter Flint
    8 Spark-Lite "Fire Tab" Tinders
    6 Windproof/Waterproof NATO Lifeboat Matches and Striker
    1 "Thunder" whistle
    1 "Standard" Wire Blade Survival Saw
    1 Fishing Kit: 8 hooks, 2 swivels, 6 split shot, 25 ft. 20 lb. line,, 4 leaders 1 extra
    large hook (gaff)
    20 ft. Wire
    1 Therma-lite blanket
    1 Brunton 15MM Button Compass
    4 Adhesive Bandages, 1 x 3 in.
    2 Adhesive Bandages, 2 in.
    2 Antibiotic Packets*
    6 Wound Closure Strips, 1/4" x 2"
    2 Burn Gel Packets
    6 Vicodin ES Tabs* (pain killer, prescription required)
    4 Chicken & Beef broth packets, 4 "Nutro-cube" 1500 cal. 100% RDA food cubes.
    2 "Potable-Aqua" Iodine Water Disinfectant Tabs in sealed container, total of 46
    tablets*
    2 Air Force Mylar water bags (5 x 8 in.)
    20 ft. 550# Mil Spec. Parachute Cord
    6 ft. Duct Tape (folded, paper backing)
    2 Large Sewing Needles
    1 Leatherman Micra
    4 Safety Pins, #1 and #2
    1 Titanium, 1 = cup, pot with lid (used as a container for the kit)
    1 thin pencil
    3 "Rite in the Rain" paper, 3 x 5 in. sheets

All of this fits into a small zippered, waterproof pouch with a belt loop and shoulder string.

I made this myself, it is not sold by any company.
    It's a little shorter than a Coke can and about the same width.

Blog Entries

I'm a primitive guy and here is what I carry in the woods for a weekend trek.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Left to right;

Tin cup for boiling water.

T bags and 4 beef buillon.

Wire saw.

Guitar string.

Three steel trade points wrapped in buckskin with imm. sinew.

Good quantity of strong twine.

Magnifying glass.

Steel flint knife, super sharp and the back is used as a striker. Blade is also very shiny for use as a signal flasher.

A large flint striker.

Altoid can with tiny hole in top for making charcloth. Inside is a good qty of fresh charcloth, two pieces of buckskin, and a good size piece of flint.

A large piece of flint that I've knapped into a slightly larger than a palm tool. Will be used for making fires, skinning hogs, or any other misc. duties.

The deer tine on the flap can also be used for knapping points.

I also carry a sheath knife, a little bottle of superglue, and either a mil. canteen or this bota bottle that I've had forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    ... one of the best books on survival ever printed: "98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your *** Alive!" by Cody Lundin. Check it out
    I got this book yesterday. Awesome book! Only the second book I have read that made a point to make your equipment visible by using yellow or orange tape. Thanks for the letting me know about this one!

Ive seen that book but i never thought it would be that good in the end
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    I got this book yesterday. Awesome book! Only the second book I have read that made a point to make your equipment visible by using yellow or orange tape. Thanks for the letting me know about this one!
    Not a problem, what was the title of the other book?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Exclamation Survival Kit Pack And Tools

im looking for a new survival pack i have a camo backpack but i think i need a new one so do you have any ideas plz include pics and also and tools or items that may be useful plzzz help

Blog Entries

Question Narrowing down.

Quote Originally Posted by WildGoth View Post
    im looking for a new survival pack i have a camo backpack but i think i need a new one so do you have any ideas plz include pics and also and tools or items that may be useful plzzz help
    The problem here is what your going to be doing, where you're going to be, & what's the weather going to be like. I would say, generally speaking, a very good quality pack if you're going out into the woods. One of the best "day packs" for the money is the L.L. Bean Bigelow Day pack. It's up to about $70.00 right now, but has features as packs costing twice to three times as much. Backpacker Magazine made it their "Editor's Choice" for 2006. You need at least 100 feet of real parachute cord, a large roll of duct tape, Four 55 gal. trash bags as close to 4 mil. as possible, a couple of bandanas, One or more knives of your choice, I'd also include a good-quality multi-tool, good-quality sunglasses, a top-notch compass, a topo map of the area your going into, Rain protection, proper clothing, A tarp, bivy sack, or tent, A top-notch water bottle or two, A couple of pink lady candles, signal mirror, matches, lighter, flint & steel or magnesium flint stick (Wal-mart has them), & a really loud whistle. Better yet, buy the pack and get John D. McCann's Book :Build the perfect survival kit. Add Cody Lunden's book: "98.6 Degrees, or the Art Of Keeping Your A*s alive." (I got my copies at a great price from Amazon.) Let's face it Wild Man, Survival isn't an extreme sport, it's literally life or death. You need to do your homework. That means study and read everything you can lay your hands on regarding the subject. Start your own survival library. I viewed your profile and I know how old you are, so, no offense intended, consider joining the Boy Scouts in your area. They're really under-rated for what they can teach you. Sorry if this is too long, but the question you asked is not that easy to answer. Did I leave anything out guys?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

thanks for the advice really good i will check out the books and the other tips

Blog Entries

Cool Forgot these.

Quote Originally Posted by WildGoth View Post
    thanks for the advice really good i will check out the books and the other tips
    Don't forget a 1st aid kit and the website for L.L. Bean is www.llbean.com. type in item #ke47369 to bring up the day packs in a choice of colors and either a top-load or panel-load pack.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

The two books Sarge47 mentioned are really good books to learn about making your first kit. Also the DVD "PREPARED TO SURVIVE" has really good advice on building kits.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Blog Entries

Question Dvd?

Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    The two books Sarge47 mentioned are really good books to learn about making your first kit. Also the DVD "PREPARED TO SURVIVE" has really good advice on building kits.
    Who puts out that DVD?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

"The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

@WildGoth, here is the quick link from the DVD on "CREATING A SURVIVAL KIT". It is a good starting point

One of the biggest things is get to know the area you live in, I started teaching myself by making leantos in my backyard and eating the wild plants there as well and from there I moved on. You really have to be familiar with what is there, in order to be able to use it all because at certain times that really is all that you have. If you dont have even some training in outdoors skills get some training from whatever you can like sarge said.
    But really in a worst case scenario you have to be prepared with what might happen if you dont have anything and even worse if you are injured, that is a true worst case survival scenario. Ive been fortunate enough to never been in one myself but Im sure if I ever did have to face one I have a really good chance of coming out of it alive because of how much ive learned.
    Last edited by Rocky789; 07-17-2007 at 10:45 PM.

I was looking at some of the pre made survival kits that someone can buy (even thought I think it is better to make your own) and i saw a pencil in some what survival purpose dose it have??? seems like they would only put things in there that would only help you survive and the only thing I could come up with was strickly for mental reasons

while im here I have been wondering about the age of the people here
    Survival Scout

Default 49

years old, and the pencil of course if in case you're ever trapped inside a crossword publishers and have to wait until morning for someone to let you out. That was just a guess, lmao.

Go Wolfpack!
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"