Page 22 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival kits info.

Default Smallest Home-Made Survival Kit v.3

Thank you very much Rick

C
    Last edited by zervosc; 01-30-2008 at 12:42 AM.

Default Whats In Your Survival Kit

what do you bring in your survival kit, or in your gear that youcan use for survival...

me.
    in my kit
    emergency rain poncho
    emergency shelter
    emergency blanket
    extra bic lighter, matches, and flint. in different sealed bags
    instant light coals(to help start a fire fast in a moist area)
    extra maps of the areas i tend to hike(in a sealed bag)
    compass
    photon light
    prusik cord
    extra knife
    all in a large coffee can that can double as a bowl or cup.
    water purification tablets(25 quarts of water worth)

on me or in my bag
    slip on shoes(the jail kind). for if i have to walk across a stream, and the rubber soles make a great black signal fire if needed.
    Rock climbing shoes (sometimes) same purpose with the signal fire
    braided leather belt
    7" knife
    a inflatable sleeping pad that can fill up to the size of a 6' tube so carie my gear or me across or down streams. allso can be cut open and used as a A frame tent.

-----
    what i plan on getting
    loud whistle
    multi tool knife
    hand ax

YOU?
    Last edited by narcolepticpug; 02-05-2008 at 10:19 PM.
    If you see a man covered in tattoos in the mountains with old gear duct taped together, and he looks like he has not seen a city in many years...... well your wrong, thats just me pulling a weekend trip.

Blog Entries

Cool Uhmm, dude...

Since you're new to this forum the proper thread for this post is here:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=1256

We've just been down this road with some other new-comers so please understand that redundant threads are not nessesary, OK? Thanks.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Since you're new to this forum the proper thread for this post is here:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=1256

We've just been down this road with some other new-comers so please understand that redundant threads are not nessesary, OK? Thanks.
    i wasnt asking what to put in a survival kit... i think i know most of what i need.. i was just wondering what kind of unique stuff people use
    as you said on another thread, learning tricks from people

i like on that site about the trash bags though... i and a friend once hiked up a local mountain. because of our stubbornness we ended up finding ourselves 7 miles from my truck in waist deep snow 1/2 mile from the summit the sun seting and geting cold. our boots at this point were soaked, so we took our boots and socks off. wraped our feet in extra shirts i had then put them in bags... i think if i hadent had those bags we both would have had some minor frost bit
    Last edited by narcolepticpug; 02-05-2008 at 11:00 PM.
    If you see a man covered in tattoos in the mountains with old gear duct taped together, and he looks like he has not seen a city in many years...... well your wrong, thats just me pulling a weekend trip.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

That's been covered and done to death, that's why this thread is going to be merged into the sticky. Everybody's Survival kit is pretty basic except in the areas that are specific to each individuals needs. READ THE STICKY! thanks.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Having spent countless hours reading about survival kits and what are the best items to have on hand, I have come to the conclusion that not all kits are created equal. Most kits on the market have less then adequate supplies. I came across one kit that I was impressed with because the contents, quality of the items and the pricing. The kit is the Deluxe 2 person kit from http://www.survivalkitsonline.com

One of the most important aspects of a survival kit are quality components, which appear to be lacking in this kit. There are a couple of items in there I might keep as backups but, personally, I'd chuck the rest. Read the book Build the Perfect Survival Kit by John McCann and you'll have a pretty good understanding of what I mean. There is also a ton of information in the other 425 posts on this thread. This type of kit is designed to make money, not keep you alive. But any kit is better than no kit.

You need to go to the introductions section and introduce yourself. Thanks and welcome.
    Last edited by Rick; 02-08-2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Added introduction line
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by carcajou garou View Post
    One thing about using a used coffee can or such is that nowdays many of these cans are linned with epoxies or other sealing treatments that could be leaching toxins if you heat them over a fire. MSR has a line of covered pots in different sizes that can be substituted but of course they cost much more than the free cans. To me it a no brainer go for the MSR pots that are made for heating.
    You have to be concerned today with all sorts of toxins that are used in our daily life.
    Now I know this was posted quite a while back but Im new to these forums and this is the first Im reading of this. A few weeks ago I went out in the woods behind my house and spent a day and a half just practicing starting fires and building shelters in the cold, rainy, and snowy michigan winter. I used a can (I think it was an empty can of fruit) to boil snow into water and cook rice in. I had almost finished the rice when I got a mouth-full of a chewy white plastic like stuff and I looked down to see that the bottom of the can was full of it. There was no sign of it being there before, infact, I had boiled water in it twice and changed the water just to make sure it was sanitary before I cooked the rice, yet, apparently, it didn't remove this "plastic". I haven't had any ill effects ( that I am aware of ). So is it harmful that I may have consumed it? How do I avoid this if I end up needing to use a can as an improvised pot in the future?

From the numbers I've read, about 85% of cans made today have a thin polymer applied to the inside of the can to prevent the contents from reacting with the can. Acid foods, like tomatoes, generally have a white polymer applied. However, depending on the manufacturer and the type of can the polymer (some manufacturers like Ball or Rexam call it a lacquer) can be a transparent film.

The next time it is convenient compare a can of green beans to something like tomatoes and you'll see the difference. Same with acidic fruits. Without the polymer, the acid will corrode the can over time.

Even aluminum beverage cans use a spray on film to prevent the can from influencing the taste. Us old guys can remember tinny tasting beer from the old metal cans.

I have no idea what effects ingesting the polymer would have. I doubt you would actually digest it since it is a plastic base. It will probably pass on through.

The only thing I would ever use a food or beverage can for is to boil water. Never to cook in. I won't even heat a can of beens on the fire because of the coating. As you've learned, the water prevents the film from becoming hot enough to melt but cooking food inside a can will transfer the heat into the polymer and cause it to melt.

I don't think the same is true of coffee cans but that's only from my personal inspection and I haven't seen anything in writing one way or the other. I use my mess kit and/or canteen cup to cook in.

If I were in a survival situation I guess I would burn the inside of the can first to try and melt any coatings and burn it away. Not even sure that would be a good thing. But I'd rather eat soot and residue than the actual plastic coating.

Here's a site that offers a video showing how the film is applied:

http://www.rexam.com/sectors/index.a...4&sub=internal
    Last edited by Rick; 02-22-2008 at 05:18 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've heard that flipping the can upside down and burning out the plastic is the was to go.

I use a Heineken pot for cooking and it has a plastic liner in it. I never have had any problems with it melting. Two things will cause that plastic to melt... no water in the pot or the pot got to hot. If you have thick soup and do not stir it, can cause an air bubble in the bottom of the pot. Which will cause the plastic to burn. I have been using my Heineken pot for several months with no problems. Have heard of people using the same Heineken pot for ten years with no problems.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

I have a Heineken can sitting on the bar. I just whacked the top off it to take with me on my next outing. I wanted to try it out. Did you wrap yours with wicking or did you leave it "factory"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have a Heineken can sitting on the bar. I just whacked the top off it to take with me on my next outing. I wanted to try it out. Did you wrap yours with wicking or did you leave it "factory"?
    I wrapped it with wicking. I you don't have wicking material, use a glove.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

I cook the Freezer bag method, so I only boil hot water in my pot. This cuts down on the chance of burning my pot and no cleanup. The only cleanup I have is wiping my spoon off and folding up my freezer bag. Then putting them back in my pack.
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 02-23-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks! Good info. I had read about the freezer bag method some time back but had forgotten about it. As I indicated above I won't cook food in any type of can but will boil water. The freezer bag solves all those issues. Good stuff!

Don't you carry any fire starters? ....just kidding... Nice set up. What kind of can opener is that? I've never seen one like it.

Thumbs up Can openers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Don't you carry any fire starters? ....just kidding... Nice set up. What kind of can opener is that? I've never seen one like it.
    I see these long handled p-38 can openers at most stores that carry out-door/ camping gear. Around $1 each. Good leverage.

Question Hey Remy...

Hey Remy, (hope I spelled your name right) what do you use for a water container?

Thanks Guys, I feel a little better knowing that. I suppose I can avoid this in the future by cooking my rice on the stove ( although I like the smokey flavor ). Guess I can just use a pot. Also I was just wondering if anyone had tried making a makeshift heater using a cardboard toilet roll tube, rubbing alcohol, and a coffee can ( As described in Field And Stream ). I dont have any rubbing alcohol right now or I'd of tried it myself. Just make sure to have adequate ventilation if you try it.

Coldkill - I haven't made one with alcohol but I have made one with paraffin. Go to this thread for my write up. It's post 17.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ht=shoe+polish