Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival kits info.

Have you read the book "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" by John D. McCann? He shows how to make several types of survival kits. Personal to vehicle. As I have found out that everyone survival kits will vary, but have the same basics essentials in it. The main thing is you know how use them before an emergency. Practice and test all of the items for ease of usage and reliability.
    I carry on me the Adventure Medical Kits Pocket Survival Pak ...it's 3.9 oz. I also found out testing the pak that I needed to add a few things. A great kit for under $30.

1 copy of 'Camping & Wilderness survival' by Paul Tawrell
    I carry that book in my fanny pack kit and home kit. I also think this is the best survival book. The second edition is updated and a better size to carry.

Also, this book has several lists for survival kits in it.
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 06-24-2007 at 09:59 AM.

I havent read it,but definately sounds like a good investment,I will looking it up now! Thanks!

this is the kit i use ---

Its got more than i need and is cheap to get really
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony uk View Post
    this is the kit i use ---

Its got more than i need and is cheap to get really
    I built my one kit around that one. I made it a 1 person 5 day kit though. Several times I had to last four or five days without necessities because of hurricanes or ice storms. The same site gave me the idea for my fanny pack as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I would need a survival van. I am constantly adding to my survival kit. The Big One will happen sooner or later. Earthquake that is. I am from Cali Woo Hoo!!!
    How about this Survival Vehicle?

"The modular design of the Campa EVS easily transfers to other truck makes and models. It is designed for new vehicles and is a completely self-contained survival system. Options include a fridge/freezer, hot water shower, sleeping quarters for four people, 17 gallon water tank, water purification, fully fitted oak kitchen unit, protective cases, GPS, a mobile communication system, and many more necessary extreme survival components."

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here is the main site for Campa USA

I want one... the ATT & DRS are pretty neat also!
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 06-24-2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: added link

i wonder how much that thing costs lol

I have a pocket survival kit also in my jacket but i never seem to use it anymore

I was thinking of getting one of the 2 Persons Bucket Kits they sell there and keeping it around the house
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

I want one of those bucket kits.

yea hpaul tawrells book is by far the best survival book i have evr read. i love the survival shelters it tells you how to make, iv used most of the easier ones atone time or another. and the snow cave it devotes 2 pages to is the best winter shelter you can make in an hour by far.
    Last edited by marberry; 07-01-2007 at 07:31 PM. Reason: grammer

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    I carry that book in my fanny pack kit and home kit. I also think this is the best survival book. The second edition is updated and a better size to carry.

Also, this book has several lists for survival kits in it.
    I have that book also. Some shops carry it that supply the Boy Scouts in place of the "now lame" Field Book". I also have, in addition to John McCann's book one of the best books on survival ever printed: "98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your *** Alive!" by Cody Lundin. Check it out
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

I love this list! I hope you don't mind but I've inserted a few comments throughout! SG.

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    heres my survival kit with it i can survive for a month without catching any game

i use a 60L Woods Backpack to haul all my stuff, complete inventory is

A Outbound Banff Mummy sleeping bag Rated at -18 C (3LB's)

a two person hvy duty dome tent

speacial Edition Leatherman Wave (titanium tools)

Leatherman micra (size of a school eraser) (awsome first aid tool)

One of the earlier nameless leathermans

1 copy of 'Camping & Wilderness survival' by Paul Tawrell , the best wilderness survival book i have ever read i highly recomend it

Full Metal Welder's boots with extrme traction (THE BEST footware i have ever tried)

1 set of colemen rain cloths (jacket and pants)I use the Military Gore-Tex parka and pants.

a 4lb hatchet I use the backpacker hatchet made by Buck Knives; it wieghs 1 1/2 lbs.

a machete

500 wood strike anywhere matches GREAT!
    60 feet of rope (3 braided 550x7's) (breaks at 1200 lbs) RIGHT ON!

Zippo lighter with fluid refills

1 emergency fanny pack contains
    - 2 thick rain poncho's I USE THE MILITARY PONCHO
    - 6x6 ft heat wrap
    - 10 feet hevy duty cord
    - 2 whistles
    - 2 compasses
    - tweezers

1 military issue folding shovel

1 high quality mapping compass MY FAVORITE IS THE SILVA RANGER

map pack with topographical maps of Manitoba , North Dakota , Minnesota, Saskatuan, and west Ontario

1 emergency 20 hour candle

1 first aid kit contains :
    - 10 foot water proof adhesive tape roll
    - various antibiotics including :
    - Benzalkonium Chloride
    - Methylparaben
    - Ammonia pads
    - isopropyl alcohol
    - Iodophor pvp ointment
    - iodine
    - titratable
    (most of these are only legally attainable - from a hospital or certified doctor)
    - heavy duty bandages
    - cold pack
    - syringe
    - anticeptics
    - painkillers
    - eye pad

flagging tape

waterproof match case with flint

5 rolls of snare wire

60 foot roll of strong 1/3 cm thick cord

60 foot roll of strong twine

6 footlong steel stakes

5 feet of strong fabric elastic 1cm thick (used as shock cord)

1 slingshot

250 emergency slingshot bb's

1 12x12 foot heavy duty tarp

waterproof back pack bag

1 buck folding knife I HAVE ONE THAT HAS A SMALL LED LIGHT BUILT INTO THE HANDLE!

1 gerber folding knife

1 set of binoculars

1 high velocity pellet rifle (more powerfull then a .22) THIS FACINATES ME, I'D LIKE MORE INFO ON THE RIFLE!

500 hunting pellets for rifle

1 hand fishing set.

3 heavy duty garbage bags I USE THE 55 GALLON DRUMLINERS.

1 large roll heavy duty ducktape yOU KNOW YOUR STUFF!

fingerless gloves

high quality authentic leather 'cowboy' style hat (wide brim great for when its raining)

2 sets of glasses and 1 set of contact lenses

1 set of heavy duty cloths

1 set of light summer cloths

Swimming trunks (wet suit if im planning on boating)

1 tube of superglue ( the rly rly rly powerfull kind )

2 sharpening stones

1 bottle of my emergency fire starter ( alot like napalm )

1 large fishing net (i know im screwed if im caught using it)

1 large bug net

insect repellant

one poison (stricknine, nicotine, arsenic,) dart in a metal box (incase i need to kill a grizzly

web belts in case i need to store things closer at hand

flaregun w/ 3 flares

flashlight (the dyno something kind , you squeze it and it lights up)

if im going in a boat i have another set that stays on the boat (2 heavy to carry)

1lb of jerky

enough pemmican to survive a month

water purification system

3 litres of fresh , (chemicals put in to make it more healthy) water

wool socks

tin cup

1 bottle of kerosene (incase i need lotsa flame from my lighter)
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Be Prepared!

Quote Originally Posted by survival scout View Post
    In my opinion you should never do anything without knowing what your doing and without experience. One of the best sites I found for survival kits is from http://www.fieldandstream.com/fields...225788,00.html
    but these things will only help if you know how to use them. Hopefully you know enough to use the buddy system (never camp/hike alone) and tell someone who, what, where,when,ect... these things could very well save your life
    Right On! You too Larry B.! Here's a couple of questions I love to ask people: Have you ever took your fire-starting stuff out in the woods and started a SAFE fire? How about trying in a downpour? Have you ever hunted small game? Do you know how to properly skin, gut, & cook the game you might catch? Have you ever set up a figure four trigger snare in the woods and actually caught something? What if your snare only captures the animal but doesn't kill it? Are you prepared to kill it by hand? It's easy to sit in your easy chair in the comfort of your home watching survival stuff on the boob tube or reading about it in books, but to properly prepare you need to do as well as study!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Hi Marcraft!

Hi Marcraft: In the immortal words of Western writer Louis L'amour you sound like one to "ride the river with". You definately have me curious about the pellet rifle, could you give some more facts about who what & where? Meanwhile here's the skinny on some of the items in my survival kit.

I believe in making my own kits as I prefer a much better quality product than most manufacturers put inside those cheap little kits. I also carry essential items in my pockets, on my belt, in a fanny pack, and so on. Survival prepardness means factoring in "Murphy's Law", so I consider the possibility of being separated from my gear. Starting out on your survival kit drive on over to your local hardware store and pick up the following items:

A large roll of really strong duct tape. (I use "Gorilla Tape".)

A box of 55 gallon trash can liners as close to 4 mil thickness as you can get, if you can find them in bright orange like the road construction crews use, so much the better.

A roll of 4 mil strength plastic sheeting to make a good tarp or tube tent, the commercial variety tube tent is better than nothing, but doesn't hold up to the elements as well.

Now your going to have to head on over to a good Army surplus store or go to one of the company's on line that sell real parachute cord, otherwise known as "550 cord"; get at least a hundred feet. I bought a 1000' roll from "Cheaper Than Dirt" for about $40, this stuff is strong, beware of the so called "para-cord" as it's nothing more than a cheap imitation.

As for knives I carry both fixed blade (When out in the field) along with one or more folding types depending on where I'm going.

I picked up a really good military type signalling mirror for about $10 from Majors Surplus & Survival. This is the bigger one than the "starflash" which I also have.

Fox 40 whistle

Several compasses, the best is the Silva Ranger which can cost from $50 to $60.

My rainsuit is the military Gore-Tex parka & Pants that I purchased used from my local surplus store for about $40, I used to use a Coleman suit but got soaked to the skin in a down-pour.

A real U.S. Army poncho with grommets so it can be constructed as an emergency shelter.

This is all for now, if anyone's interested in more let me know.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

What else do you carry that can do "double duty" like the poncho you mentioned? I feel the more an item can do the better and the less you absolutely have to carry.

Blog Entries

One thing I'd like to pick up is an old E tool.

They are a fold up shovel that works as a shovel, hoe, an ax, saw, and crude machette. There are alot of el cheapo's out there, need to get a mil. issue somewhere.

Oh yeah, and they make one hell of a hand to hand weapon.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Double Duty.

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    What else do you carry that can do "double duty" like the poncho you mentioned? I feel the more an item can do the better and the less you absolutely have to carry.
    One thing I just picked up awhile back is a "Buck Whitaker" folding knife. My kid brother likes to climb mountains and he'd picked one up simply because of the built-in flashlight on the handle. It has a 3-position switch and you can even switch it on like a flashing strobe light. The steel end of the handle has an opening big enough to hang it from a carbiner ring from, say, the strap of a backpack. It can be opened one-handed with either the left or the right hand.

However, both the heavy-duty trash bags as well as the duct-tape have many uses. Backpacker magazine listed over a hundred uses for duct tape in one of their past issues, as well as a dozen for Large, heavy-duty trash bags. You could probably visit "backpacker.com" & track down those articles.

Finally, the 550 cord (parachute cord) also has a multitude of uses. Survival Expert, Cody Lundin, writes about how "cordage" being a number one nesessity in his book: "98.6 Degrees: The art of keeping your *** alive". Likewise, John D. McCann, says basically the same thing in his book: "Build the Perfect Survival Kit."
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Duct tape and heavy duty (55gal) trashbags are priceless.

Where I work, it takes me to many places that have urban outdoorsman (homeless). I have donated the above trashbags and duct tape out in the worst weather.

Few things we never went on patrol without, kabar, poncho, and our rope. Usually we carried two kinds of rope, one was a 10 foot section of rapelling rope, the other was about 50 feet of 550.

Blog Entries

Wink Ka-bar Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Duct tape and heavy duty (55gal) trashbags are priceless.

Where I work, it takes me to many places that have urban outdoorsman (homeless). I have donated the above trashbags and duct tape out in the worst weather.

Few things we never went on patrol without, kabar, poncho, and our rope. Usually we carried two kinds of rope, one was a 10 foot section of rapelling rope, the other was about 50 feet of 550.
    I have the USMC Ka-Bar, it has shown to be a top quality knife!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Red face ooops!

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    I also have a number of the top quality Space Blankets, called the "All-Weather Sportsmans Blanket". They are reflective on one side and colored on the other. The corners have grommets so you can pitch the blanket in a number of differant ways. Also the folding Buck is called the Lumina LED, #777 BL.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin