Page 13 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival kits info.

Here is a review of R/Rick's survival necklace that I read awhile back from www.equipped.org.
    This site rates alot of survival equipment and gives fair reviews. The review of the necklace is a little old but gives you a general overview. The dog tag/blade, mirror and fire starter have been replaced with newer items.

The reason I bought R/Rick kit was that some of the items in his kit was in McCann's book. It was cheaper to order his kit than to order from several sites.
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 12-01-2007 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Thanks, Mbarnatl - I've read Doug's work for a long time and have a lot of respect for him. He does know his stuff and you can trust his reviews to be honest and generally accurate. He missed one point on the review of the necklace that he does discuss elsewhere on his site; "Care should be taken when packing a compass in a kit that it is as far away from any materials, carbon steels and iron, that could attract the compass needle, potentially affecting its accuracy." I would think that could be a concern with the necklace.

http://www.equipped.com/devices26.htm

Scan down to TIPS:
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Rick & Mabartl.

Do either of you, or anyone else here have an opinion regarding his manuals? So far I'm sold on Dr. Ron Hood's instructions on building your own small & large kits yourself. As Rick has posted elsewhere, it's always cooler to build your own, & I totally agree with that.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sarge, I've never read his manuals so I can't comment.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sarge, I've never read his manuals so I can't comment.
    Thanks, "M", BTW, J. Wayne Fears sells a small "Survival" handbook at Wal-Mart for @ 5 bucks if anyone's interested. Look back by the hunting supplies.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

@Sarge: I have Digest 9 that has "how to make a survial vest", "Mini-Mag Lite survival kit", and "Anti-Frostbite Anti-Hypothermia Kit" in it's volume. Lots of tips in it. The contents of the vest is close to what McCann has in his book. As for Dr. Ron Hood's I had never read any of his work. Also, someone mention the stuff found in the Digest was from the Ranger Handbook... I don't know if it is because I never read it. Overall I found the Digest very interesting and have bought some items mention in it. I have really enjoyed the digest and will probably buy other Digest volumes.

Update: "As for Dr. Ron Hood's I had never read any of his work. "

I did a search and found it. The name did not stick... I have his DVD. If you like his stuff, then you will find R/Rick's stuff interesting.
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 12-01-2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Had a brain fart!
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

@Rick: I personally do not like things around my neck. I made mine into the key chain kit. I will write my personal review of R/Rick's survival necklace/para cord/key chain kits in my blog and post the link here when I get it done.
    The compass issue I have read about before. When I go on hikes, I have actually several compasses on me and/or my equipment. I learned that having a back-up compass or two is a good thing. Also, never rely on a GPS.

Blog Entries

Cool Great point...

Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    @Rick: I personally do not like things around my neck. I made mine into the key chain kit. I will write my personal review of R/Rick's survival necklace/para cord/key chain kits in my blog and post the link here when I get it done.
    The compass issue I have read about before. When I go on hikes, I have actually several compasses on me and/or my equipment. I learned that having a back-up compass or two is a good thing. Also, never rely on a GPS.
    ...about things hanging around your neck. Especially if they have the potential for decpapitation. Hope dlble "R" checked with his attorney on the "liability" potential there. The Key chain isn't a bad idea but here's my point. I want to use "quality gear" in my "survival" kit. The stronger, the better. My top compass is a "Silva Ranger", my folding knife is a "Buck Lumina LED" with a Victoinox swiss army knife that includes a small say. I've used the saw with great results. My top signal mirror is 3" x 5" similar to the one used by the USAF. Check out this bandana, then scroll down to find a similar signal mirror and you'll see what I'm talking about.

http://www.imsplus.com/ims24a.html

I know my gear and what it can and cannot do. I know it's stress points and condition. Although I think a lot of "Ranger Rick's" stuff would be great projects for the Boy Scouts. I have two of the older Fieldbooks and both have sections on "Survival" and making your own kits.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 12-01-2007 at 08:40 PM.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

My daughters have that bandanna in their survival kits. I like the signal mirror. Remember in McCann's book and I think several others... buy the best quality equipment you can afford, Your life may count on it.. One point I like to bring up is that if you buy a kit or make your own... test every single item in it and practice till it become second nature using it.

I know my gear and what it can and cannot do. I know it's stress points and condition. Although I think a lot of "Ranger Rick's" stuff would be great projects for the Boy Scouts. I have two of the older Fieldbooks and both have sections on "Survival" and making your own kits.
    I have bought three kits that was reviewed on http://www.equipped.org/prsnlkit.htm. Just curious to see how they worked, packaged and to see how accurate the reviews was written. That was before I got McCann's and Lundin's books. I personally would never buy another kit... I like making my own.

Check out the Belt Pro Survival Kit on the link... interesting kit idea.
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 12-01-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Talking Wow!

I'm still star-struck over the fact that "Ranger Rick" actually showed up on our forum. The ironic thing about it was that he did it because some of us "dissed" his goods. We've all said nice things about Cody Lundin, John D. McCann, and Dr. Ron Hood, and they never show up. What if we dissed them....nah! Like them waaaaay too much!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Default Ranger Rick

After doing a ton of reading reviews on the Ranger Rick Survival Necklace, I am still not a big fan but have been convinced that it is about an 8 on a scale of 1-10 and would probably be good to have around for day hikes and the like. Also after reading the history of Rick Tscherne known as Ranger Rick I have to say he is a most impressive Ranger and survivalist. So to him I do owe an apology for the remarks, although I don't like how he came on here and said some of the things he said to some of the people. I did the same oh well, I also like how he stood up for his product as some merchants wouldn't.
    "but I'm not one of those who hang out in forums 24-7-12. Unlike some of you here, I got a life and better things to do with my time than to hid behind a screen throwing rocks at others. And think you kicked someone's butt just because they posted a few comments on a forum and didn't return. So wrong and so immature." Well Ranger all I can say to this is I have life, I served my country, and now serve the State of Ohio as Deputy Sheriff, being on here is just another form of conversation and your own site proves you are on the internet a lot thus your life is boring like those you made fun of, I know I know when they award you the Ranger Tab they didn't give ya an issued set of ethics or morals for being a merchant and a personality either, your reply rants were as immature as mine were and are. Could be the Ranger drive instilled in you by the RIs.
    Just some thoughts of mine.
    Beo,
    Last edited by Beo; 12-02-2007 at 01:00 AM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Dang I missed his postas someone point me in the right direction
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Blog Entries

Talking You're there!

Quote Originally Posted by beerrunner13 View Post
    Dang I missed his postas someone point me in the right direction
    It's a page or two back on this thread. Still would like "Cody, John, & Ron" to drop bi like there stuff better anyway.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool 10-4!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    After doing a ton of reading reviews on the Ranger Rick Survival Necklace, I am still not a big fan but have been convinced that it is about an 8 on a scale of 1-10 and would probably be good to have around for day hikes and the like. Also after reading the history of Rick Tscherne known as Ranger Rick I have to say he is a most impressive Ranger and survivalist. So to him I do owe an apology for the remarks, although I don't like how he came on here and said some of the things he said to some of the people. I did the same oh well, I also like how he stood up for his product as some merchants wouldn't.
    "but I'm not one of those who hang out in forums 24-7-12. Unlike some of you here, I got a life and better things to do with my time than to hid behind a screen throwing rocks at others. And think you kicked someone's butt just because they posted a few comments on a forum and didn't return. So wrong and so immature." Well Ranger all I can say to this is I have life, I served my country, and now serve the State of Ohio as Deputy Sheriff, being on here is just another form of conversation and your own site proves you are on the internet a lot thus your life is boring like those you made fun of, I know I know when they award you the Ranger Tab they didn't give ya an issued set of ethics or morals for being a merchant and a personality either, your reply rants were as immature as mine were and are. Could be the Ranger drive instilled in you by the RIs.
    Just some thoughts of mine.
    Beo,
    When I was a supervisor of sales back in my insurance selling days I learned that a person will project their bad doings on others to deflect attention from themselves. "RR" IS guilty of the same thing he's accusing others of. The income from his "Survival" gear and books obviously allow him to live in Italy where he can ski to his heart's content. Still, one has to respect what he's done with his life in the military. Like I said earlier; at the end of the day the odds are he'd get you back alive! Hope I didn't tick off his "fan club".
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    When I was a supervisor of sales back in my insurance selling days I learned that a person will project their bad doings on others to deflect attention from themselves. "RR" IS guilty of the same thing he's accusing others of. The income from his "Survival" gear and books obviously allow him to live in Italy where he can ski to his heart's content. Still, one has to respect what he's done with his life in the military. Like I said earlier; at the end of the day the odds are he'd get you back alive! Hope I didn't tick off his "fan club".
    "Fan club" according to RR we have some weasels in the wolf pack, eh?? After all he says he recieved several emails from people here about what was said about his gear! Hope it wasnt our members,but he must be worried about his gear since he posted that he has a thread on his sight for members to post ..unkind remarks made about his gear from other sites.Sounds to me like he was looking for a fight or at least an argument anyway.jmho.

He came off as quite the braggart to me. Not a team player at all. That was what shocked me the most. As I said in my earlier rant, I think it would have been just fine to come on here and tell us how he tested the products, how long, under what conditions. Why he chose the components he did. Ask why some of us felt the way we did about the products, etc. I would have had a ton of respect for the man had he done that.

As for him getting emails, just his way of stirring the ....

From a retailer's perspective, some of the items on the necklace are just fine. None of them are very expensive at the wholesale level and it looks like he's limited his mark up on the individual pieces to make his money on the overall kit. No argument with that. Quality wise, there are some good items on there IMHO. The ferrocerium rod and the whistle are good items. I'm not crazy about the compass or the signal device but that's just my cut at it.

I do wear a necklace in the field. It has my dog tags, a P38 and a photon light. More metal than that and it feels cold when it gets cold.

To each his own but a pinch of professionalism, maturity, and humility would have gone a long way in my book.

Proud American was right on the mark when he said a product's quality should speak for itself. A profound statement. It should.

There is an old saying, "If you have a problem with another man, you need to look inside yourself for the answer." I have and RR is a non issue.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down My 2 pennies.

My thinking was that he had a perfect opportunity to imbed himself within the group, gaining our respect in the process. Then we'd obviously would have been more likely to purchase some of his stuff, especially the members who might not be as serious about their outdoors craft. He also had the perfect opportunity to encourage "Proud American" with his interest in the Rangers. I think that necklace idea might have the capacity for decapitation, and should be tested thoroughly. However his manuals look good. The "downer" is that I'm not at all impressed with the "Ranger's" attitude/personality. If his fans don't like it they can e-mail him their whiney complaints as well.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    My thinking was that he had a perfect opportunity to imbed himself within the group, gaining our respect in the process. Then we'd obviously would have been more likely to purchase some of his stuff, especially the members who might not be as serious about their outdoors craft. He also had the perfect opportunity to encourage "Proud American" with his interest in the Rangers. I think that necklace idea might have the capacity for decapitation, and should be tested thoroughly. However his manuals look good. The "downer" is that I'm not at all impressed with the "Ranger's" attitude/personality. If his fans don't like it they can e-mail him their whiney complaints as well.
    I agree with you Sarge.

I have to agree with Sarge also. I started to write my opinion on R/Rick's kit last night but had to stop because it was not fair to the product. It did piss me off what he said. I don't care if someone from the group or an outsider sent him emails... he should have joined and sent the individuals private messages or contacted Chris about it.