Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival kits info.

Yea. That's what I thought about the sticks. I actually recessed a liquid filled button compass in the top of each one and placed one inch marks on the stick for a length of one foot. I really debated on what type of foot to put on the stick. I ordered some brass feet that had a steel bottom and decided they might not hold well on rocks. In the end I went with a rubber foot. I put 4 coats of polyethalene(sp) on the sticks to protect them. I also have a bit of surprise built in. If the boys ever have a need to use the cordage, when they unwrapp the stick there is a message beneath the cordage from me. They will never see it unless they unwrap the stick. You never know when a little inspiration might make the difference. Just a personal note from me to them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sorry Coyotee. I got us off track a bit. Let's see if I can bring us back.

I have fly fished all my life and never liked jigs. For some reason, pan fish really like flies so I carry two dry flies in my kit. I carry 50 ft in 12 lb test and 50 ft in 63 lb test and of course my paracord. I use the heavier line for bank lines and/or trot lines and the lighter monofiliment for regular fishing.

For use by scouts, I think it's a great kit. Just replace the bobbers like Smok said.

I'm not sure why the 4" fishing pole. I'd like to hear your reasoning on it. It seems to me I could use a branch or vine (pole or bank line) just as easy. Of course, you don't want folks hacking up the woods unless they really have to.

You might also think about a small pair of nail clippers or some other cutting device. I use nail clippers when I go fly fishing. They are just the best for clipping off stray ends of monofiliment.

You might include a laminated card of fishing knots. You know, how to tie them.

Finally, an Altoid or similar tin might be a bit more rugged. See Mitch's thread at:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=1067

for his survival kit.

But I do like Sarge's suggestion on the 35mm film canister above. Something a bit larger are the tubes the M&M Minis come in. They have a plastic flip top so you can't loose the lid.

That's about all I can think of. You have a great kit and I'm sure not knocking it. Just trying to offer some suggestions.
    Last edited by Rick; 11-23-2007 at 08:01 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

101 uses for a 35mm film can. It is amazing what they can be used for.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Default fishing survival kits

Everyone,

thanks for your comments. Rick, I put about 50 feet of 15 lb test line on this one in the kit. I have made others with both 8 & 15 lb or 15 and 25 lb test, just depending upon what I had on hand at the time.

My 4" pole serves the purpose of a ready built pole with line, bobber, leader, weights and hook. No one ever asked why for the 4" pole that is just the size I want to add. Keeping survival kits in mind and space being a premium, then the 4" size would be optimum. Also, depending upon what type of survival you are a part of i.e, escape and evasion braking a stick may give away too much information. But I might be stretching it. Also, it is ready made, and you don't have to prepare it.

I didn't want to put it in a metal tin because it can fit in smaller spaces of survival kits. I currently am using a one of my survival setups an chinese made 5 mag (ak) pouch that I have modified for use. It fits into one of the outside pockets so you don't have to dig through everything.

mad coyotee

Understand. Your point is well taken on the 4" pole. If you stay with the plastic bag then you might think about sticking the points of the hooks into the cork bobber Mitch recommended. REAL fishermen will tell you that will dull the point of a hook but I'd rather have a dull point than a hook stuck in me because it poked through the bag and got me.

Blog Entries

Cool Yeah, well....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sarge - I've read a lot about signalling. CD vs. Lid vs. Mirror and the mirror comes out on top every time. The higher the visibility the better your chances of being found. If that's all you have, you bet but I'll keep my mirror. The StarFlash comes in a 2x3 size so it's pretty small. Besides, it's pretty handy so see those places your eyeballs won't stretch far enough to see. And military survival kits have them for a reason (wink).
    I also own the 2 x3 Star Flash and agree that it's a lot better signaling device, no argument there. I also have a larger version that's about 3" x 5" as well. I just meant that "as opposed to nothing else" as I'm sure you picked up on.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

At the risk of being redundant, swap the nylon cordage for 550. I concur on the glasses. I like to have 'em with me, too. Glare sucks. I'd chuck the matches and throw in a BIC lighter. Way more fires than the matches will conjure up. Even when the butane is gone you still have a striker. Something to boil water in. I carry an old GI canteen cup. You also need something to carry water in (bottle, unlubricated condom, plastic bag). Just remember a gallon weighs 8 pounds so you want something you can handle. Large mouth Nalgene for me. Duct tape is a must in my book. Just too much you can do with it. Not a whole roll but wrap some around a small pencil. Brass wire (lashing, snares). I'm not much on the glow sticks, either. Handy around the house, though in a power outage. On the sling shot issue, I'm not much on active hunting unless I just have to. Snares and fish traps work too well 24/7 leaving me time to do other cool stuff like twist an ankle so I can practice my back woods medicine. :O)

Blog Entries

Cool Nalgene Tape!

Large mouth Nalgene for me. Duct tape is a must in my book. Just too much you can do with it. Not a whole roll but wrap some around a small pencil.
    I use Cody Lindun's method from his "98.6" book and wrap duct tape around my wide-mouth Nalgene bottle. I can wrap near top & bottom and fill the center area with wraps of 550 cord.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Nalgene Tape (yuck, yuck, yuck) Nice Title. I have to get that book. So many quote from it and all are good ideas.

One thing I didn't post, because it isn't actually in my survival kit but I do wear a survival bracelet I made. I make them from 20 feet of paracord. You can see it has a cordlock compass on it.
    Last edited by Rick; 12-05-2007 at 07:51 AM.

neat bracelet Rick.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Nalgene Tape (yuck, yuck, yuck) Nice Title. I have to get that book. So many quote from it and all are good ideas.

One thing I didn't post, because it isn't actually in my survival kit but I do wear a survival bracelet I made. I make them from 20 feet of paracord. You can see it has a cordlock compass on it.
    Survival Hike gave out a link on how to make those awhile back. I went one step further and made a belt. The book, "98.6 Degrees: the art Of Keeping Your A*s Alive." By Cody Lindun is one of the best books I've ever seen on the subject of survival.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

@Sarge47: You got the book memorized yet? I think I have read it 4 times already.

A good book on making your own survival kits: "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" by John D. McCann. Plus the knowledge from the book Sarge mentions you can have a very good personal survival kit.

Should of read the first page....sorry
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 11-24-2007 at 07:27 PM. Reason: didn't read the first page.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Thumbs up

I carry a 1# coffee "billy" can (to boil & carry water), my 4" Schrade knife on my neck, my fire starting waist pack, a needle, and wool blanket bed roll. That is my basic survival trail kit.

I do have a B.O.B. bag that is stocked and ready to go that hangs by the door. Just in case! It is filled with more essential gear that will last me about 3-4 weeks in the bush.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    @Sarge47: You got the book memorized yet? I think I have read it 4 times already.

A good book on making your own survival kits: "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" by John D. McCann. Plus the knowledge from the book Sarge mentions you can have a very good personal survival kit.

Should of read the first page....sorry
    'Bout got McCann's book memorized as well. I ordered them together from Amazon, got a great price and free shipping as well.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    'Bout got McCann's book memorized as well. I ordered them together from Amazon, got a great price and free shipping as well.
    I am going to have to get another copy of McCann's book... it is wearing out. Going to have to get another copy of "Camping & Wilderness Survival (2nd edition)" by Paul Tawrell. I go through these books all the time.

I want to make an observation that I have been seeing lately. I notice people trying to make the perfect survival kit or restricting the number of items in a kit. That perfect kit will only be for you, not for everyone else. Most of the general things you need will be the same, but you have to adjust the kit for your personal needs, climate, and environment you are going to be in. The books that Sarge and I refer too, tell you the same thing. One person may carry pocket kit, while you may have someone else carry a backpack kit for the same day hike. I know I have changed my kits at least ten times in the last year. The best thing to do is to take your kit out on a day hike and try the items in the kit. When you get back, make the modifications to your kit. Keep doing this until you get the perfect kit for yourself. Do not put a limit on the number of items in the kit.

Blog Entries

Cool Like he says!

Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    I am going to have to get another copy of McCann's book... it is wearing out. Going to have to get another copy of "Camping & Wilderness Survival (2nd edition)" by Paul Tawrell. I go through these books all the time.

I want to make an observation that I have been seeing lately. I notice people trying to make the perfect survival kit or restricting the number of items in a kit. That perfect kit will only be for you, not for everyone else. Most of the general things you need will be the same, but you have to adjust the kit for your personal needs, climate, and environment you are going to be in. The books that Sarge and I refer too, tell you the same thing. One person may carry pocket kit, while you may have someone else carry a backpack kit for the same day hike. I know I have changed my kits at least ten times in the last year. The best thing to do is to take your kit out on a day hike and try the items in the kit. When you get back, make the modifications to your kit. Keep doing this until you get the perfect kit for yourself. Do not put a limit on the number of items in the kit.
    Very well put!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Default Army Ranger Rick's Survival Kit Input...

Greetings Wilderness Survival!

Allow me to introduce myself here, I am US Army “Ranger Rick” Tscherne. I am the author of the Ranger Digest Series (I-IX), the developer of the SOS Survival Kits and the owner of www.therangerdigest.com.

Second, I hope what I am about to say will not violate any forum rules here. As I am just answering some of your concerns about my SOS Survival Kits.

Third, this is what I just recently posted on my website a few days ago, see below:

WANTED - SURVIVAL FORUM "SURVIVAL KIT BASHERS" Have you read somewhere or know someone who's been bashing and talkin poop about my survival kits? If so, please let me know by sending me the link...(NOTE: To read the rest of this paragraph, you'll need to go to my website.)

And so after receiving a few emails about your forum here, I thought I would register on here to clear up a few misconceptions.

“King Dufis” (aka Beowulf65) wrote: (Quote) “ Personally, I think that Ranger Rick is dufis, having been to Ranger School (Class 12-84) most of his tips come from the Ranger Digest Handbook and common sense, the garbage he peddles is junk. But that’s just my opinion take it or leave it. (Unquote)

MY REPLY: If you did go to Ranger School and you’re not one of those make-believe and wannabes, then you should know a “Ranger is NOT suppose to lie to another Ranger.” Right?

Of course you do, so here's my question to you fellow Ranger…

What tips (that’s plural, meaning more than one) did I copy out of the US Army Ranger Handbook and use in my Ranger Digests? If you're gonna publicly bash my name here on this forum for everyone to see & read, again, tell me and everyone here what tips did I copy for the US Army Ranger handbook?

My Ranger Digests (I-IX) have been on the market since 1988, well after class 12-84. If you can’t think of any off the top of your head, would you like me to send you a complete set of my Ranger Digests? So you can review and go through all my books and then post those tips here on this forum to back up your allegations? Let me know, ok?

As for your other comment (quote) "..the garbage he peddles is junk."

My Reply: The wire saw is the same wire saw used by the British SAS and our US Special Ops guys. It purchase it from BCB International (United Kingdom) in rolls of 1,000 feet and then I cut it up myself. You can’t find a better lightweight and quality wire saw than this no where else. If you go to my website and click on the bar to the left of your screen marked “wire saws,” you will learn the difference between the good and bad wire saws.

My “Tornado” Whistle is also made in England by a company who’s been making whistles for about 100 years called the “Acme Whistle Company.” The reason why I chose this particular [Tornado] whistle is because unlike other whistles, this one works well in extreme cold weather and won’t freeze up because it doesn’t have any little balls inside of it that will freeze up due to your mouth moisture/saliva. And because it glows-in-the-dark , you’ll be able to see where you placed your survival kit at night too.

The magnesium & flint fire starter that comes with my kits are just like the magnesium fire bar except smaller, lighter and compact. It's better to carry a duel fire starter (mag & flint) than just a flint fire starter, don’t ya think? Well of course the mag bar is nice and big, but it’s bulky and not convenient to attach or pack & carry in a pocket survival kit.

As for the signal mirrors that come with my survival kits, though small, 1 x 2 inches, they’re still a hellove lot better than one of those “itty-bitty” mirrors you get with those other cheap survival kits. And it reflects a hellova lot more sunlight than some buffed & shined up tin can lid that some of those survival kits come in.

My compass is NOT liquied filled NOR is it made out of some cheap @ss plastic. They’re made of aluminum and rubber, and the rubber [band] acts as a shock absorber so if you drop it or bang it, it’ll still work.

The folding knives that come with my kits come with serrated blades, which means the blade won’t dull so easy and will keep on cutting longer than regular ol’straight blades that will need resharpening.

So sheriff, would you mind pointing out to me and everyone here which of these items I sell is "garbage and junk" and why?

Did you ever buy and or test any of my survival kits? If you did and you’re not happy with it. Send it back to me within 7 days of this posting and I’ll reimburse you twice the amount you paid for it. Provided you also tell me where you purchased it so I can confirm your purchase. How’s that? As Howie Mandell would say “Deal or No Deal?”

So Mr. King Dufis - Beowulf65, the next time you’re thinking of bad mouthing someone you don’t know I suggest you don’t do it on an open forum for everyone on the internet to read. Unless you’re willing to pay the consequence in having your own reputation challenged and tarnished. Opinions are like @ _ _ holes, everyone has one, but sometimes the hole is at the other end instead of where it should be on a body.

As for some of the other comments I read here from some other members...

I sell two types of survival kits, (a) fully assemble & ready-to-wear and (b) assemble-it-yourself. When I assemble the wire saws, I always pull & jerk hard on both ends to make sure they are tightly secure. And then I throughly inspect and double check all the items before mailing them off to my customers.

Someone wrote: "...if he had been in a real survival situation he would have been screwed?" Oh com’on now, just because one of those wire saw ends popped off it doesn’t mean you can’t use the saw. All you have to do is just grab a stick and wrap the end of the wire saw around it, tie it in a knot and you can still use it to cut wood. If you had an hand axe and the handle broke would you say “oh poop, now I’m screwed.” I wouldn’t, I would try to find a piece of wood to replace the handle. Give me a break fellas, use a little bit of ingenuity.

As for another comment "…so much for your drinking tube.”

Here, read this, this is what it says on my website for those of you who think it’s not a good idea to cut and discard this tube;

Now I've heard some survival gurus and Johnny Rambo Wannabes say "..cutting and discarding the tubing is waste, you should be able to remove it without cutting it so you can use it to suck water from small puddles." As I stated, the tubing is only there to protect you from being scratched and cut up while wearing the saw around your neck. And ain't smart to drink water from any puddle unless it's been filtered and purified first. And so if you don't have any means of filtering and purifying puddle water, what good is it to save and use this tubing?See my point? Yea, these are the same know-it-alls who think you can use a pocket survival tin/container to boil water for consumption. It can't be done, it's nothing but a bunch of baloney. Try it if you don't believe me.

Sarge47 wrote: (Quote) "I made my own necklace out of braided 550 Parachute cord & hung my own stuff from it. To make it "Break-away" I use a little bit of snare wire to hold it all together.

MY REPLY: Hey Sarge, go to my website, click on my SOS Necklace banner or page and then check out the picture of me wearing my "old" survival necklace around my neck. I just posted this photo there not long ago, have a good laugh.

Well there you go fellas, I hope what I said only offended one person here. I’m usually quite busy and don’t have time to participate in forums. But after receiving some emails about one particular member here, I’d thought I’d drop by to say hello to everyone.

Oh I’m sure someone will probably want to have the last word in, no problem, I said what I wanted to say and will leave it at this and let you all decide if what I wrote was a fair and balance reply.

You may want to take a look at the upcoming "Field & Stream" Magazine. Because six months ago the survival editor, Keith McCafferty contacted me to ask if I would send him some samples of my survival kits to test out. And the results of his tests, along with some other pocket survival kits will be in the December 2007 edition. No, I have not yet seen nor read the article yet and he never sent me a copy of his article neither. So I, too, will be curious to see what he wrote as well.

And so I'll end it here by saying “Buona Notta,” which means good night here in Italy.

Yours Truly,

Army Ranger Rick Tscherne
    US Army, Ret. 1972-93

@Army Ranger Rick
    I have used everything in the kit several times and have been pleased with the kit. I just don't like things around my neck. I keep the keychain kit on me all the time. By the way... thanks for mentioning the IMPS-Net ideas in Digest 9. That IMPS-Net is awesome!

Well, you clearly won't care but you did offend me and I haven't commented on you at all. I think it wholly inappropriate for you, as a retailer, to publicly bash other people for their opinion. If they don't like your product, so, the hell what? Who cares? I sell retail survival gear and I'll bet there are folks that have gone to my site and said no thanks. To each his own. But to take the time to log onto a forum and begin bashing it's members is just third rate in my book. You can sure as hell bet I'll be bashing you off the board and telling everyone I know not to buy your products. It would have been a lot different if you came on board and just stated the facts but you didn't. So as far as I'm concerned you can go slither under that rock you crawled out from under. As I see it the only "Dufus" here is you, bro'.

And who gives a damn about your name dropping?

I got your back Beo. We can take this chump!

Geeese, what nerve.
    Last edited by Rick; 11-30-2007 at 09:14 PM.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

That is all a bunch of garbage. I probably have enough extra stuff around to make several of those "survival ??" kits and so do most folks. I may be a little long in the tooth but I know what works for me. I sometimes wonder how I ever made it without camo, fancy skinning knife, map and all those goodies. Maybe it didn't matter to the animals I shot or trapped. I carried a Case stockman and could skin or dress out anything I needed, and I guess growing up in an Eastern KY hollow maybe gave me a jump on city kids. Ranger Rick?? Sounds like a kiddie cartoon.