Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1252606162
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1230

Thread: Survival kits info.

yes they right. If you going into the wild you should know plants name so you die like the guy in the movie into the wild - you shoulkd watch it. One of the best movie.

I have no doubt that everyone that has posted in this thread has honed their survival skills and are self reliant, I do on the other hand think that many people are confusing the difference between survival kit and their survival system (bug out bag).

Over the past couple decades people have been stretching the term Survival kit to mean bug out bag. This becomes more confusing seeing the 24 hour , 48 hour and 72 hour survival kits which are more like a modified day pack with extra food and water and a few other miscellaneous items

If you look at the survival kits that pilots were given for example, they were rather basic items. These kits were some basic essentials to increase the odds of survival and rescue.

Personally I would rather use anyone of your backpack setups then those survival kits sold on the internet. Almost all of the survival kits I have seen, but not all, are filled with cheaply made or subpar gear that you could buy yourself separately at a much higher quality and durability. Now and then there is some company that is putting together survival kits or bug out bags with name brand, high quality gear, but you are paying an arm and a leg for this setup, and many times you already have several items of this kit/bag that you do not need a duplicate of.

This is what i have in my EDC bag that I carry with me whenever i leave my home:

*Mini LED Flashlight ( w/extra batteries and I put a plastic cover over the flashlight contact so not to drain battery )
    *Ferro rod and striker
    *Magnesium bar
    *Permanent Matchless Lighter & Bic Lighter
    *Survival Wire Saw
    *2 Mylar Solar Blankets
    *Water Purification Tablets (5 tablets)
    *Compressed Camp Towel ( looks like a miniature hockey puck until opened)
    *Waterproof poncho that doubles as a shelter
    *Fixed Blade knife
    *Swiss Army Knife
    *Paracord
    *Dental floss or fishing line
    *SoS emergency food bar(s)
    *Loud whistle
    *Button compass
    *few feet of duct tape

A machete and a pot. And I've proved it. Along with several others here.
    In Florida.

An old man I worked with as a young man told me something that I tell to young men now....

He said, "I don't ever ask God for anything. I only ask him to put it where I can get my hands on it.."

There's a lot in that little line. you just have to put your hand out and grab it.

Alan

I wanna be Hugh Glass. He was mauled by a bear and left for dead in the North American wilderness. Then he crawled back to civilization. Uh...well, I don't want to be mauled by a bear...and that crawling stuff is for reptiles.

The key chain on my phone has a pen, flashlight and screen poker. The phone wallet has a note pad, magnifying glass, ruler, knife, compass, saw blade, prier thingy, notes about the area that I've collected (Colorado is sorta devious about what can poison you or not.). I usually carry some first aid stuff and a headband light in my back pack. I have a magnesium strip I sometimes carry. Aspirin, just in case I have my first angina in 30 years. Dramamine. Grph! If I'm out there for a week, I'll see if I can adapt to not taking that cabinet full of medication.

The time I really have to survive, It'll probably be the time that I have none of that stuff.

Eh, I'll live until I die. It's worked for 68 years and I won't be particularly surprised when it ends. I survive on my wits.

Uh, what were we talking about, now?
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

What about medicine? I have seen antibiotics sold for animals and pets.

Just spam

Any idea if there is a place to get people versions?
    Last edited by Rick; 10-06-2022 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Removed link

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I had some bread that was going stale so I had French toast and fried spam for breakfast this morning!

And like all good preppers, I buy all my meds at Tractor Supply or the Farmers' Co-op.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I_am_not_atf :
    That was rather out of tune with reality; AKA spam.

spam-buster.jpg
    My reason for being a member here is because this site doesn't tolerate SPAM in any form unless it comes in a can. Meaning as you noticed 2 posts and you were out of here.

kyratshooter:
    Many call them "fish mox" that translates to antibiotics for fish. As if I'm telling you something you didn't already know.
    The key is knowing which antibiotic to use for what issue.
    Of interest, antibiotic comes from two ancient Greek(?) words; anti or against and bios meaning life.

The other things that may be considered key are dosage and overuse, causing resistance to the antibiotic.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The other things that may be considered key are dosage and overuse, causing resistance to the antibiotic.
    As the Brits would say "Spot on."

Even medical professionals make mistakes. I was treated for a disease and it turned out to be a cracked tooth that was infected.